Page 112 of 2488 FirstFirst ... 12621021101111121131141221622126121112 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 24878

Thread: Politics

If I were the officer who put him in the chokehold, the lack of state charges would be of little comfort, as I'd still be pretty worried about going to federal prison for a decade for a civil rights violation.

Administrator

Why should that single officer bear sole responsibility? There were a bunch of them around, not only subduing the guy, but also controlling the crowd. None stepped in to stop the 'murder' when the poor guy couldn't breath. They all should be charged and sent to prison. Heck, we should just shut down all police departments, fire them all... except perhaps that one cop who'd hug a black boy. Obviously that was the exception to the rule, cops are all pretty much the same and the police are repeating the same murderous spree all over America. Time to put a stop to killer cops! Actually obviously the court system doesn't work either... so perhaps we should just carry out justice in our own hands! Who the fuck needs the police when police are out to kill people.

Anyway, seriously, if we have an all black police force, I think similar tragedies would still happen. We're only human. We are making progress though. We don't always have to insist that the glass is only half empty...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; December 4th, 2014 at 08:12 AM.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Anyway, seriously, if we have an all black police force, I think similar tragedies would still happen
    Unfortunately, that seems true at this point. Black officers kill black men in disproportionately high numbers as well.

EDIT: Though not as disproportionately high as white officers do.
    Last edited by overpowered; December 4th, 2014 at 06:44 PM.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by overpowered View Post
    Unfortunately, that seems true at this point. Black officers kill black men in disproportionately high numbers as well.
    So I hope people can see that this is not just a race issue. It's part of the police culture.

If you resist arrest and if police is insisting on arresting you, chances of tragedy increases. If you also happen to be black or hispanic, chances of tragedy would skyrocket.

Lots of these tragedies can be avoided if people would simply comply to officers' demands.

Perhaps police should also upload videos of how cops get killed on the job in order to ease the outcry a bit? It'd also be interesting to find out which race kills the most cops.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Lots of these tragedies can be avoided if people would simply comply to officers' demands.
    Yes and no - because sometimes submitting to police demands - where you'd hope even wrongful police custody would still be safe - turns out to not be so safe. I can completely understand being in the position of having legitimate fear that doing what you're told isn't going to stop the shakedown, it's just going to make their job easier. I can sympathize with the hope that making what seems like (and may be) harassment difficult will make the whole thing not worth it. You want to be able to 100% trust the police, but there are enough examples of nontrustworthy cops that any interaction is subject to both scrutiny and fear. Of course you want to advise just playing along no matter what - taking the higher road so to speak - but, fuck, if you're that person in that situation that could seem like a totally irrational course of action.

(And I'm not trying to pin shitty behavior on cops - it's not like wearing a badge makes you invulnerable. For every ten totally nonviolent people you gotta deal with there is probably one who'd have no problem ending your life and has the full capability of doing it. That's scary shit. I'd be on edge too.)

I was all...
    But, then at the bottom: "Postscript: A national poll this week found Carson running second among all likely Republican presidential hopefuls, trailing only Mitt Romney."
    WTF!?!?

GOP: Thanks for Electing Us, and Screw You - nice title.
    With the midterms behind them and some significant wins for conservatives, Congress wasted no time last week in doing what they do best -- screwing America's middle class and working poor.

Every year Congress ritualistically renews a package of "temporary" tax breaks for corporations in a process commonly referred to as "tax extenders" because they extend temporary tax breaks. This year, however, they want to make these breaks permanent -- particularly the ones that benefit large corporations and political donors. It's a process that the Washington Post refers to as "a periodic bonanza for lobbyists."

This particular bonanza is in the neighborhood of $450 billion.
    That's what happens when you vote against your own self-interests.
    Last edited by 21Kid; December 4th, 2014 at 10:57 AM.

Eventually everyone who buys still will be so poor they won't be able to buy anything anymore, and they'll run out of enticing ways to lure people into financing basic things and people will just stop buying. Eventually.

Related, I think the next big business is going to be financing designer clothes. That's an untapped market as of yet, and there is sufficient resale in used designer clothes I think it can work.