Page 113 of 2478 FirstFirst ... 13631031111121131141151231632136131113 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 24777

Thread: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Yes and no - because sometimes submitting to police demands - where you'd hope even wrongful police custody would still be safe - turns out to not be so safe. I can completely understand being in the position of having legitimate fear that doing what you're told isn't going to stop the shakedown, it's just going to make their job easier. I can sympathize with the hope that making what seems like (and may be) harassment difficult will make the whole thing not worth it. You want to be able to 100% trust the police, but there are enough examples of nontrustworthy cops that any interaction is subject to both scrutiny and fear. Of course you want to advise just playing along no matter what - taking the higher road so to speak - but, fuck, if you're that person in that situation that could seem like a totally irrational course of action.

(And I'm not trying to pin shitty behavior on cops - it's not like wearing a badge makes you invulnerable. For every ten totally nonviolent people you gotta deal with there is probably one who'd have no problem ending your life and has the full capability of doing it. That's scary shit. I'd be on edge too.)
    Hey, it's never a certain yes or no. Nobody's perfect. I'm sure there are asshole police, but if you insist on making their job difficult, what do you expect to happen? Same goes with making a run or leading them on a chase...

Anyway, like I said, we can have the entire police force to be black and we'd have similar problems.

I really don't think recent incidences are really just about white racist cops killing black people. Problem won't be solved by having only black cops. People need to stay cool and not assume all cops are racist pigs. And for the sake of your own life, please try to comply with the police!

By complying with the police completely and if you're still dead, then it'd certainly make an indictment easier.

Yes and no - because sometimes submitting to police demands - where you'd hope even wrongful police custody would still be safe - turns out to not be so safe.
    Even if being accosted/arrested by the police was to be equated to being mugged, what do authorities generally say when you're getting mugged? Hand over your valuables, it's not worth losing your life over.

If you feel that you're going to be sexually assaulted and/or murdered by the police officer(s) then I guess you have some hard decisions to make. But resisting arrest because you feel that your rights are being violated? Arguing and/or fighting the police? Not the way to go about pleading your case...

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    But resisting arrest because you feel that your rights are being violated? Arguing and/or fighting the police? Not the way to go about pleading your case...
    Again, I sort of agree - and I'll disclaim that if we had this conversation five years ago, well, we wouldn't have this conversation because I totally would have said that. These days I am not so sure you can trust the system, that complying with a false arrest will eventually lead you to the right place. Once you are in custody there really isn't a system to ensure the "right things" happen. Everything from that point on is your word against theirs, and if you believe that the situation starting the arrest is questionable, why would you believe the situation succeeding the arrest will be in earnest? You can't - that's irrational. If you believe that you're in the middle of a shakedown and you have a legitimate chance to make the situation "non-economical" through non-violent means such that your harasser will just move on to someone else versus just going with it and hoping someone down the road says, "Wait, this wasn't right." I dunno... I want it to be "authority figures know best," but I think we all know that they frequently don't. I want it to be "there are systems in place to ensure that rogue agents are kept in line and that personal rights are always overseen," but I think there is sufficient evidence to believe that's not so. If someone you don't trust says "come with me and everything will be okay," how can you just submit and hope it works out?

Yeah but look at the alternative: it's a lead-salad.

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    Yeah but look at the alternative: it's a lead-salad.
    Only if you don't believe there's a chance that being difficult will encourage your harasser to move on. I've not been many situations (there have been a couple) where I've been wantonly harassed by the man, but I can see how you might find/feel that's what's going on, and maybe you've seen success in the past by not making yourself an easy target. I get that. Of course, if the guy in your face is 100% committed to his action, for sure, the alternative is a lead salad. I fucking suck with people - I have no idea how you could look someone in the eye and figure out whether they're messing with you or they really intend to ruin your day, but I certainly believe that's a real thing. Being able (or believing you are able) to make that call and change your fate is probably a real thing. There are enough cases in the news alone to believe that's a real thing.

Again, I want the answer to be everything will work out, but if you watch the news, live in a certain part of town, and have a cultural or personal distrust of authority I can absolutely see how mentally you get there. If "bad things" was always a result of personal distrust affecting better judgment then yeah, you're a tard. Hell, truly I once felt that was virtually always the case. But it seems with every passing day there is more noise coming out about abuses of authority and, for me, it sure seems like those tards maybe aren't quite as tarded as I once thought. Maybe.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar

Only if you don't believe there's a chance that being difficult will encourage your harasser to move on.
    Being cagey and arguing with a cop for a few moments is one thing; I do it every time I'm pulled over (with both hands at 10 o'clock on the steering wheel).

But pushing away and fighting and struggling? I hate to agree with Billi but he's right: that action most likely elevates the average Police Officer's threat level. Guns are more likely to come out. People are more likely to get shot. #justsayin

::

In light of my posts, I should state that after having read the (publicly released) details of both killings, that Darren Wilson & Daniel Pantaleo should have both been indicted and brought up on charges of murder, assault, etc. My stating that "resisting arrest is a bad idea" does not mean that I am a supporter of these two stubborn and bullying assholes.
    Last edited by novicius; December 5th, 2014 at 06:47 AM.

If you are Sarah Connor or Morpheus or Trinity or Neo or somebody who really can't trust the authorities, then hell yeah, don't just resist them, kill them too! You better be sure that odds of beating them and able to run away cleanly is in your favor.

If no such odds exist, then you better just submit first and let them arrest you. When cops ask to see your hands... you better show them your hands. Even if you are just trying to break into your own car.

Once in custody, you probably have a higher chance of fighting the authorities going thru the system. Even if you're shipped to somewhere like Guantanamo, at least you'll live and have a chance of someday US government coming to its sense and shut it down and perhaps one day release you after a fair trial.

Now, if you really rather die than be apprehended by the evil authorities, then yeah, try to resist or fight them. I'm just saying that by complying, you have a better chance of surviving and getting real justice done.

Are there racist cops? I'm sure there are. There are racists everywhere. In OP's video above, obviously somebody called the cops on that black dude.

We live in a racist society. We just have to learn to deal with it appropriately. If you're black, unfortunately you have to watch your back more. Don't do anything that'd attract attention onto yourself. Don't try to resist arrest should you end up with such unwanted attention. No need to give possible racist cops good reason to kill you. Race relations also won't improve with riots. Both sides need to work on this a bit more.

Anyway, if things like this continues, maybe they should consider having all black cops working in black neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    We live in a racist society. We have to continuously work at eradicating it appropriately. If you're black, unfortunately you have to watch your back more. Don't do anything that'd attract attention onto yourself. Don't try to resist arrest should you end up with such unwanted attention. No need to give possible racist cops good reason to kill you. Race relations also won't improve with riots. Both sides need to work on this a fuckload more with more money, time and cooperation.
    FTFY.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar