Page 1165 of 2478 FirstFirst ... 1656651065111511551163116411651166116711751215126516652165 ... LastLast
Results 11,641 to 11,650 of 24779

Thread: Politics

Yes, but I'm also aware of the reality that I'm not always right though.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Now am I right to assume Mexican govt has serious corruption problems? Since I'm not that familiar with the ins and outs of your government, I'll just let you figure that out and I'll just assume that I'm wrong.
    Yes, Mexico is a country with a high perception of corruption. And corruption is, as I understand it, a product of the institutions (broad term encopassing those organizations that govern everyday life) of our country; there are among others: corrupt politicians, corrupt teachers, corrupt doctors, corrupt business people.

Before you point that out, Mexico is also a disorganized entity. A lot of our problems stem from our incapacity to fully systematize and separate spheres of influence and action among the different actors that make up our society. That institutional mess is one of the main reasons why criminal organizations have it easy in trying to further limit the acts of the state on a wide variety of ambients, from commerce to justice to politics; or at least those are the academic explanations I've read. Comparative politics of the U.S. and Mexico must be a daunting task, and I believe it ought to be a paid job; difficult shit, homes, difficult.

With that said, I think a problem you make in this discussion is equate the abstract with the concrete; yes in the U.S. there's a very effective legal device in the U.S. Constitution, but that is an abstract construct. The good United States of America has built in its four centuries of history an intricate network of organizations, resources and procedures that allow the rights and duties enshrined in your legal framework materialize in things everyday people can see, touch and feel in their everyday lives. From a special counsel investigation, to tax forms, to prisons for inmigrant children, to food stamps.

What I see in Trumpism, and what I'm trying to discuss here, is the disregard for the abstract forms of american politics that translates into... i don't know... Space Force and Omarosa Manigault, The Morning Tweets and Sean Fucking Hannity.

It's like watching a technophobe try to re-engineer a computer network .
    acket.

In hindsight, comparing the Trump Cult to the Bush puppeteers... I guess we're lucky the Mike Pences and the Jeff Sessions don't have the power the Dick Cheneys and the Karl Roves had. If the latter are scary the former are frightening.
    acket.

Not sure constitutions are THAT abstract, but one could view a nation's DNA as something abstract I suppose...

Anyway, IMHO, while this Trumpism disease so far is quite scary, I don't think it's so terminal as if our DNA's all mutated to the point that we won't ever recover from this sickness. Not even people in his party fully support him. Worst case scenario is that he'll make a huge mess for 8 years..., but hopefully we can recover sooner. As for space force, I'm not sure what's the problem with that. Surely in American's beginning, we also had no air force? But I think there's probably more urgency to have a new branch of military forces in the virtual reality to at least ensure that our elections won't be messed with in the future.

Anyway, China and Russia are now infected with cancerous dictators. In some ways, I think it's good timing that these crazy dictators get to deal with an crazy president like Trump.

Like I've said before, at least so far Trump hasn't started a bogus war... and his unpredictability has taken aback the dictators and terrorist groups somewhat... So I'd rate his admin to be better than W's... for now. (Keep knocking on wood!) Hopefully there'll be no real bogus trade war as well... fingers crossed.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; August 13th, 2018 at 02:01 PM.

Administrator
    As far as I see it, there are a few problems with the space force:

• We already have an Air Force Space Command
    • It would presumably cost a ton of money that could potentially be put to better use elsewhere
    • The name is stupid.

d) It is a distraction from the United States law enforcement and counterintelligence investigation of the Russian government's efforts to interfere in the 2016 presidential election commission.
    Last edited by FaultyMario; August 14th, 2018 at 07:34 AM.
    acket.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    How is an NDA enforced for White House employees in order not to conflict with the Freedom of Information Act and the Presidential Records Act?
    They may not be enforceable

If it looks like a crisis, swims like a crisis, and quacks like a crisis, then it probably is a national security crisis. One provoked by the incompetency of the White House staff, starting at the top, of course.

Raise your hand if you want to be John Kelly right now!
    acket.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    will henceforth be known as the Snitchuation Room

Administrator
    Manafort's defense filed a motion to dismiss, that got denied, then they rested. No witnesses called.

In the meantime, emails came up in the trial from Manafort to Kushner asking that they consider certain people for certain cabinet spots, including Stephen Calk as Secretary of the Army. Calk is the CEO of Federal Saving Bank, who coincidentally loaned Manafort $16 million at the time (and presumably has no other qualifications for Army Secretary). Kushner replied "On it!"