Page 12 of 2478 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422621125121012 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics

The word "banning" with regard to marriage in that brief article linked above is used a journalistic tool to stir up controversy. Ceasing government recognition and sanction of marriage would not be a ban on marriage; quite the opposite. It would free consenting adults to marry whomever they choose.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    The word "banning" with regard to marriage in that brief article linked above is used a journalistic tool to stir up controversy. Ceasing government recognition and sanction of marriage would not be a ban on marriage; quite the opposite. It would free consenting adults to marry whomever they choose.
    Except they're doing this precisely because their earlier attempts to discriminate were ruled unconstitutional, and they're not proposing to replace marriage for some with civil unions for all (which I'd be okay with). This is bigots acting like petulant children threatening to take their ball and go home.

Not only that, but legal marriage confers numerous legal rights and responsibilities recognized by government in one convenient swoop. I thought that even pure Libertarians didn't have a problem with government recognition of property rights.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    They hate the idea of gay marriage being legally recognized so much that they would rather have everyone give up their legal status than let the gays have equal rights.

Of course, then you lose automatic recognition of joint property rights, various medical rights (visitation, care choices, ...), inheritance rights etc.

Oh, and of course, your taxes go up.

TB, you're speaking of the intentions of specific politicians.

I'm am speaking of government in general as the PolySci nerd that I am.

I don't think people should have tax breaks and other benefits that single people don't. That's not equal protection under the law.

That may seem odd coming from someone who has been married since '97 and whose parents are still happily married since '67. I'm all for marriage. I just don't think there's any need for the government to be involved one way or another. Citizens should have the liberty to choose if and whom they marry without governmental consent.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Citizens should have the liberty to choose if and whom they marry without governmental consent.
    ... or incentive.

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by overpowered View Post
    Oh, and of course, your taxes go up.
    100% fine with me. I support an equal share flat tax for all.

The government should not treat one American differently than another (punishment for crimes, etc. obviously excepted).

I'll crawl back in my hole now before you guys start making fun of me instead of the Republicans. (insert big grin face from old board)

Edited to add:

...or incentive.
    Yes. That word is important.
    Last edited by George; February 14th, 2014 at 11:52 AM.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar

False.

Rand Paul believes gay marriage will lead to bestiality. I'll buy that. Thinks is giving that man way too much credit.

Flat tax is the stupidest idea ever. You think income inequality is a problem now? It'd be even worse with a flat tax.