Page 1219 of 2488 FirstFirst ... 2197191119116912091217121812191220122112291269131917192219 ... LastLast
Results 12,181 to 12,190 of 24878

Thread: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by JoshInKC View Post
    What it really comes down to is that none of the previous chief execs have been gaping wounds of ego-driven insecurity on the level of trump.
    Ding ding ding!!

That.

An Idaho superintendent has issued a public apology and placed 14 employees on paid administrative leave after staff at a public elementary school dressed up as Mexicans and a border wall for Halloween.

The images began circulating on social media this week, and they depict more than a dozen adults dressed up in two groups at Middleton Heights Elementary School, in a town of about 7,500 located 30 miles west of Boise. One group is dressed up as stereotypes of Mexicans, replete with maracas, ponchos, sombreros and fake mustaches. The other group is dressed as wall segments plastered with the Make America Great Again slogan.

13% of the students at Middleton Heights Elementary are Hispanic/Latino.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...didnt-go-well/

Quote Originally Posted by G'day Mate View Post
    Have past presidents held the sorts of rally's that Trump has continued doing since election?...it seems to have been non-stop since Feb 2017.
    As has already been well answered, no, not usually.

However, some have held rallies or gone on tours to promote specific topics. One that comes to mind is Woodrow Wilson's train tour after he returned from six months in Europe after the first world war. He had not been able to get enough Senators to vote to ratify the Treaty Of Versailles and join the League Of Nations, so he took his case to the American people in the hopes they would ask their Senators to do so.

Wilson had a stroke during this tour, which changed his presidency significantly, to say the very least.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...gue-of-nations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodrow_Wilson#Incapacity

Trump's rallies remind me of history's more sinister leaders.

Those damn public schools! Bastions of liberal political correctness indoctrinating our kids!

I don't know man...

I wish the right didn't see Obama as a Muslim Satan.

I also wish the left can also stop seeing Trump as a deplorable racist lying pricktator.

There ought to be some basic respect given to a sitting president. It's one thing for late night comedians mocking the sitting president for fun, but if people and media just seriously can't stand the sitting president, this nation is in trouble.

Particularly the media, unless if you have damning evidences to actually bring down the president, then perhaps you should just presume it to be fake news and not report it...

US democracy probably will cease to function very well if this shit continues...

Bar really need to be sit higher in the 1st place for those running for office. If a felon cannot vote, a felon also shouldn't be allowed to run for office. Further, if you have pending law suits, investigations and refuse to disclose your tax returns and cannot resolve conflict of interests... your name really shouldn't be on the ballot... we need to find ways to unfuck ourselves. We don't have to like all elected officials, but we need to be able to respect them...

Something that continues to bother me about reactions to NFL players protesting... people often call it "unpatriotic", yet our country was founded on the back of a protest (Boston Tea Party). Isn't protesting essentially the most patriotic thing one could do as an American?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Isn't protesting essentially the most patriotic thing one could do as an American?
    Yes!

This is why I was always opposed to laws and certainly amendments prohibiting flag burning back when that was a popular sentiment (George H.W. Bush administration, perhaps?). I don't want to see people burning flags, but it should most definitely be legal to do so (assuming proper safety precautions, etc.).
    Last edited by George; November 5th, 2018 at 11:31 AM.

Texas v. Johnson (1989) made it illegal to prosecute someone for burning the flag for the sake of protest, which is right in that time frame you mentioned.

Supporting someone's right to protest does not mean you agree with their cause. Hating someone because they exercise the mechanism of protesting is really shitty, though.*

The NFL player protest was muddled by people co-opting the movement for their own gains. Trump made the kneeling about being disrespectful to the troops. That's where the 'unpatriotic' rhetoric comes from. It's a distraction, and now people that wouldn't have cared at all about the kneeling and it's core cause have been shouting about patriotism and veterans to the point that people are not even really discussing the root of it. The real shame, and I don't speak for all veterans at all, is that most of the veterans I know believe they fought to protect the public's rights, not for a piece of fabric. The flag stands for those rights and kneeling in front of it in protest is just a way of saying those rights are being denied to people who live under the shadow of that flag. It's supposed to be ugly, because the treatment of some minority groups by the justice system is ugly.

*My caveat is when they endanger public safety by blocking interstates or rush hour traffic. It hurts their cause in my eyes because I want them to immediately be stabbed to death with cocktail forks and now I'm not thinking about their cause anymore. We have a group like this in Pittsburgh that co-opt other peoples causes just to push their group agenda and it's wearing thin on everyone but the mayor who is petrified of the image of police moving them out of the intersection in an election year.

That piece of fabric is symbolic of people's rights though.

Unless I believe America as I know it is dead and it's time to do away with it, I would never protest by burning down the American flag.

Just as the presidency, people need to have some basic respect for what it represent whatever color party that person represents... Hmm..., US flags seems to have more red than blue... maybe that's why democrats just can't win... fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Yeah, it's not your choice for a reason. That's what makes it a right.