Page 1231 of 2488 FirstFirst ... 2317311131118112211229123012311232123312411281133117312231 ... LastLast
Results 12,301 to 12,310 of 24878

Thread: Politics

Are your electionsn not overseen by a non-partisan organisation, or is it just a few rogue actors doing such suppression?

Female Masturbatory Aid
    In the case of the GA Governor race, the guy running for governor IS overseeing it. Thus the problem.Voter suppression is in the GOP playbook. Whether it's gerrymandering, or blatantly blocking/eliminating votes.

Don't get me wrong, pretty sure this happens on both sides, I just don't believe it's been this brazen in the past by either party.

If you saw most district maps, you'd be right to say "what the fuck?!"

Quote Originally Posted by G'day Mate View Post
    Are your electionsn not overseen by a non-partisan organisation, or is it just a few rogue actors doing such suppression?
    They dont have the equivalent of the Electoral Commission.
    So there are issues such as rules for who is eligible to vote, boundaries (gerrymandering), methods of voting and deciding if votes are valid (the infamous hanging chad). These issues can go down to a very low level (equiv of our local councils)

It does seem very primitive and so against the concept of a fair democracy.

These would all be solved by a single non-partisan organisation to be in control of the electoral process - but goes against the principles of elections being run by the states themselves.
    Was an interesting article in the local paper (smh) pointing out that many of their problems dont happen here due to AEC and compulsory voting. The punch line was basically - if this was in another country we would probably be sending observers to monitor the vote to help make it fair!

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I could see how this could be made fair pretty easily:

1.) Have one NATIONAL standard voting system that cannot be hacked
    2.) Have the voting sheets go to an independent third party
    3.) Have those votes that the third party sees NOT tied to a candidate, so in other words they just see Option A, Option B, etc. and tally the votes that way, then those numbers get converted back to the official ballot after the third party is finished calculating the vote.

Administrator
    I'm not sure why we don't just all use the Ink-A-Vote system we have here in LA. Pretty low tech but works well.

If we do go higher tech, I think by law it should have to be open source.

Yeah, this probably could be fixed, but similar to heritage gun rights mess, there'll be no motivation to fix it.

Sometimes it could just be incompetence rather than intentional..., such as CA accidentally registered illegals to vote. The right might see that as a left wing conspiracy but in reality our DMV makes lots of mistakes.

Will the federal government fund the effort to fix all 50 states? Will the states bend over and allow the federal government to take over? Unlikely in both counts.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    Quoted for posterity.

Remind us to not give a fuck if you're ever in a catastrophe; earthquake, fire, accident, whatever! You're a real cunt of a human being billi.
    Paraphrasing Obama, 'why are you so mad?' What are you seeing in my post that I don't see? Anyway, it's your emotion, you have the right to run with it however you want. Take care man.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    CA accidentally registered illegals to vote.

Ugh.

Come on dude, I'm sure you can use language in a way devoid of negative implications.

Here's an excerpt in case folks don't want to follow the link.

Spoiler:
    According to a conventional implicature account of slurs (hereafter, the ‘CI account’), slurs and their neutral counterparts have the same literal meaning, but slurs conventionally imply something negative that their neutral counterparts do not. For instance, ‘Franz was German’ and ‘Franz was a Boche’ are the same at the level of what is said – they have the same literal truth-conditions, that is, they are both true just in case Franz was German. But ‘Franz was a Boche’ conventionally implies the false and derogatory propositionthat Franz was cruel and despicable because he was German. One virtue of the CI account is that it explains the descriptive features of pejoratives as well as expressive autonomy.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Spoiler:
    Yeah, this probably could be fixed, but similar to heritage gun rights mess, there'll be no motivation to fix it.

Sometimes it could just be incompetence rather than intentional..., such as CA accidentally registered illegals to vote. The right might see that as a left wing conspiracy but in reality our DMV makes lots of mistakes.

Will the federal government fund the effort to fix all 50 states? Will the states bend over and allow the federal government to take over? Unlikely in both counts.
    As usual, billi is full of unicorn shit.

The DMV also specified that none of the impacted customers were undocumented immigrants.
    Source.

Administrator
    Heh, well, they failed to update both my wife's and my voter registrations when we moved, so I figure that makes it even.