Page 1284 of 2478 FirstFirst ... 2847841184123412741282128312841285128612941334138417842284 ... LastLast
Results 12,831 to 12,840 of 24776

Thread: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    And some individual responsibility is great. I think its good you are making an effort.
    But it is also something that needs to be solved at the "society" level and unfortunately that means politicians and policy.
    I don’t disagree with you. It’s just that to me, society is made up of individuals, not politicians.

If we can successfully influence enough of our neighbors regarding climate change, then Trump and Congress will have to represent the will of Americans or face consequences.

If half of the population disagree with you, then you will have a harder time making policy changes.

Must we engage in another civil war to save the planet? For sure another war won’t help reduce global warming.

Or be forceful about it like what France has done..., but result in Paris riot?

Scientists should just put their findings on some sort of official record for the world to see... without any political bias.

Each individual and each nation can then act accordingly regardless of what their neighbors or neighboring countries choose to do. One person doing something is better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Each individual and each nation can then act accordingly regardless of what their neighbors or neighboring countries choose to do. One person doing something is better than nothing.
    But some issues require a large scale effort. Especially if you are talking about changing infrastructure - you cant expect individuals to build roads, refuelling stations or power stations.
    Yes you can put solar panels on your house and that helps - but in the end it needs a large co-operative plan to make the sort of changes required. Either government funded or government mandated. Leaving it to market forces wont work when the existing system has a major head start and is cheaper because they arent paying for their pollution.

One person does help, but we need collective action to make significant change. It seems that is unlikely is some places

No argument there. If you can convince dictator Xi, he can enact whatever policy he wants and quickly change China for the better... or worse.

However, in a democracy, it’ll be difficult to build a road or a wall if half of the population don’t want it.

In such situations, either you educate half of the population why they should rethink it or re-examining that perhaps your own stance is wrong!

I just don’t think such a partisan push will do anybody any good. Liberals in charge can fight climate change but as soon as conservatives gain back power, they’ll reverse what you’ve done. You’ll never get anywhere.

Might as well focus more on education. US does lag quite a bit in that area. Also educate the public regarding whatever agenda you have in a nonpolitical way. Surely nowadays people can get wary of political ads...

I don’t have the answers, but at least we are in control of our own lives and we can try to influence our family and friends the best we can. That’ll be a good start.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    How the Upper Middle Class Is Really Doing
    Is it more similar to the top 1 percent or the working class?

Spoiler:
    Since 1980, the incomes of the very rich have grown faster than the economy. The upper middle class has kept pace with the economy, while the middle class and poor have fallen behind.

[...]On one side are people who argue that the bourgeois professional class — essentially, households with incomes in the low-to-mid six figures but without major wealth — is not so different from the middle class and poor. All of these groups are grappling with slow-growing incomes, high medical costs, student debt and so on.

The only real winners in today’s economy are at the very top, according to this side of the debate. When Bernie Sanders talks about “the greed of billionaires” or Thomas Piketty writes about capital accumulation, they are making a version of this case.

[...] there is the upper middle class, defined here as the 90th to 99th percentiles of the income distribution (making roughly $120,000 to $425,000 a year after tax). Their income path doesn’t look like that of either the first or second group. It’s not above the line or below it. It’s almost directly on top of it. Since 1980, the incomes of the upper middle class have been growing at almost the identical rate as the economy.

[...] Politicians should recognize that there are three broad income groups, not just two. The bottom 90 percent of Americans does deserve a tax cut, to lift its stagnant incomes. The top 1 percent deserves a substantial tax increase. The upper middle class deserves neither. Its taxes should remain roughly constant, just as its share of economic output has.
    acket.

Mike Pence has suggested the EU and Mexico recognize Juan Guaido as president of Venezuela.

acket.

I see the current powers that be are learning a lot from the Reagan administration's work in South America.

I haven't kept up with Venezuela news, but a quick google indicated Pence isn't spreading complete fake news, right? Or am I missing something?
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-v...-idUSKCN1PP1HQ
    It's just Mexico that is still sticking with Maduro for now.

Anyway, don't really care who runs the country, but we should help aid its suffering citizens somehow...

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    How the Upper Middle Class Is Really Doing
    Is it more similar to the top 1 percent or the working class?

Spoiler:
    Since 1980, the incomes of the very rich have grown faster than the economy. The upper middle class has kept pace with the economy, while the middle class and poor have fallen behind.

[...]On one side are people who argue that the bourgeois professional class — essentially, households with incomes in the low-to-mid six figures but without major wealth — is not so different from the middle class and poor. All of these groups are grappling with slow-growing incomes, high medical costs, student debt and so on.

The only real winners in today’s economy are at the very top, according to this side of the debate. When Bernie Sanders talks about “the greed of billionaires” or Thomas Piketty writes about capital accumulation, they are making a version of this case.

[...] there is the upper middle class, defined here as the 90th to 99th percentiles of the income distribution (making roughly $120,000 to $425,000 a year after tax). Their income path doesn’t look like that of either the first or second group. It’s not above the line or below it. It’s almost directly on top of it. Since 1980, the incomes of the upper middle class have been growing at almost the identical rate as the economy.

[...] Politicians should recognize that there are three broad income groups, not just two. The bottom 90 percent of Americans does deserve a tax cut, to lift its stagnant incomes. The top 1 percent deserves a substantial tax increase. The upper middle class deserves neither. Its taxes should remain roughly constant, just as its share of economic output has.
    Kinda hard to swallow that folks making $120k are really in the same class as those making $425k. I'm sure we can divide that group up even finer and see how the different plotted lines compare to GDP...

Anyway, with today's capability of analyzing big data... government probably should just base taxes on individual wage growth. If someone has explosive wage growth, which tend to happen to the super rich, then tax him more and it'll probably sting him less too. If you seriously have a pretty flat wage growth, then naturally taxes should remain flat and stable as well. As for those who've fallen off the cliff income-wise, then tax cuts should automatically be in place for them... perhaps even some automatic tax credits for safety net purposes and do away with welfare programs. Anyway, that's probably for the far far distant future.

For now, to make it simple, I still think flat tax is the fairest of all. However, income below poverty level shouldn't be taxed... and then tax rates gradually increase to the flat tax rate as your income approaches the medium level. Then everyone is taxed at the same rate as your income rises above your state's average level. We can still allow some deductions if people make certain investments that create jobs or appropriate charitable donations that can benefit others... just so that the tax accountants can still have something to do for otherwise the accountant lobbyists would probably fiercely oppose such flat tax law... Charging everyone making above average wages at the same rate is probably the most fair IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    It's just Mexico that is still sticking with Maduro for now. to the principle of self-determination.
    Fixxor'd.

As the Jamaican prophet once put it: "If you know our history, then you know where we're coming from."
    acket.

I had no clue where Mexico is coming from... again a quick google indicated that your constitution contains a ‘prime directive’ to never interfere?

That’s a cool thing to have, US should amend it’s constitution likewise considering our superior fire power to bully other nations around to advance our own interests whether openly or covertly... we have such a bad reputation at meddling that countries are rejecting our aid fearing that aid workers might be smuggle arms into their nation...

Anyway, this is a bipartisan problem US has, it’d be unfair to blame only republican presidents.