Page 1325 of 2478 FirstFirst ... 3258251225127513151323132413251326132713351375142518252325 ... LastLast
Results 13,241 to 13,250 of 24777

Thread: Politics

Is trump reversing family separation or is that just fake news and we’re still putting kids in concentration camps?

Administrator
    Maybe you missed this. He didn't wise up, the courts said he had to stop, but he's still doing it when he thinks it's legally allowable.

Well, more accurately, Stephen Miller is.

Okay, my bad. I guess I really have been complacent and not paying enough attention. I thought "new" family separation isn't happening anymore, but I guess I was foolish to believe Trump...

Anyway, the situation is screwed up though. Congress couldn't figure out what to do. Funding it to improve conditions give Trump tacit approval, but not funding it will make conditions even worse. Based on some of the news articles I found, there's no real consensus on whether this inhumane happening is by Trump admins design or it's just overwhelmed by the sheer # of folks overloading the system, right? Regardless of former or later, this border issue is kinda like a 'Trump war' I guess. Billions of tax dollars wasted for what?

Administrator
    Well, part of the overwhelming numbers is from the "zero-tolerance" policy. We've had ways of dealing with people at the border that didn't require putting them in camps, but the new zero-tolerance policy has changed that. While the numbers of people coming to the border have increased in the past year, they're still around the lowest number in the past 48 years:

And we weren't putting people in camps back in 2000. That said, one can argue that this is just due to being overwhelmed by the sheer number of people (though some reports of the treatment of children at the hands of specific officers couldn't be excused via that), one could also argue that this is a crisis of the administration's own making.

EDIT: Whoa, that graphic is way bigger than I expected. Sorry about that.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Most Americans were not scared into locking up refugees... maybe we were scared during 9/11 thus Guantanamo or WWII thus Japanese camps, but this refugee camp is just not quite on the same level IMHO.
    Satsuki Ina, who was born and spent the first two years of her life in a U.S. internment camp, disagrees with YHO.
    acket.

I like big graphs! (I'm near sighted)

Anyway, yeah, like I said earlier, this is probably just as disastrous as we fighting a costly/unjust war with lasting consequences...

I think AOC is in the camp in congress that doesn't want to increase funding to it (can't blame her on that), but short term solution has to be funding increase, right?

Anyway, I know I write too long sometimes and you don't usually read, but please read this one. I was complacent and didn't keep up with the latest news. I thought family separation wasn't really happening anymore... my mistake! Whether we call it concentration camp or not, there's really no good reason for for us to treat children like that. I'd like to think our guards are only trained to handle adults and just not trained to be child care workers, but who knows... it is fucked up. No argument there.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; June 26th, 2019 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    No argument there.
    acket.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    This is scary...via twitter:

@LindseyGrahamSC

After tonight’s #DemocraticDebate.......that whole Trump 3rd term thing is looking better and better.

��

They aren't even hiding it...they WANT Trump to remain in power whether it's legal or not. That is going to cause a revolt like we've never seen before...probably even after the next election and Trump decides not to leave office.

Sad that the only defense against Trumpism is in the judiciary, and the Trumpists have vowed to take over it.
    acket.