Page 1344 of 2477 FirstFirst ... 3448441244129413341342134313441345134613541394144418442344 ... LastLast
Results 13,431 to 13,440 of 24770

Thread: Politics

Administrator
    It was actually Rep. Steve Chabot, which is not nearly as hilarious, sadly.

Saw a little bit of the hearing. Mueller looked shaky and agitated. The latter especially when speaking to Republicans.

Anyway, looks like this testimony won’t change much of anything... sigh...

Administrator
    I think there were two main goals, one of which came out of Mueller giving his public statement a few months back.

It's pretty clear that a lot of Trump's supporters have not read the Mueller report and have only had it filtered through Fox News pundits, AG Barr, and the President himself. I read more than one interview with Trump supporters who seemed surprised to find out from that that the Mueller report did *not* fully exonerate the president, that his appearance on TV was the first they were hearing of that. I think part of this was just to get all this out on TV where it'd reach more people who haven't read it and may not actually know or understand what was in it.

The other I think Ted Lieu managed to do. Establish at least one specific instance of obstruction, get Meuller on the record saying that it was policy of not indicting a sitting president that prevented an indictment, and that the president could be indicted after he leaves office for things in the report.

Otherwise it was like every other congressional hearing. I like how Matt Oswalt put it on Twitter - it's like watching Wheel of Fortune when the puzzle is completely solved yet people keep guessing letters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    it's like watching Wheel of Fortune when the puzzle is completely solved yet people keep guessing letters.
    That's a very good analysis of the situation!

Back to my previous gripe about today's media..., it's sad that media today can attempt to block certain letters on the board to prevent their viewers from actually solving the puzzle... or perhaps strategically block certain letters to mislead the viewers sometimes.

If there are people seriously surprised by what Mueller has said, they really need to stop living in their bubbles... or perhaps it's time we need to regulate 'free press'?

Maybe attach a credibility rating by 3 independent fact checking organizations for each posted story? If a news story is really new or just breaking, obviously the rating will be left blank, but as time goes on, each stories shall be rated.... then we'll be able to see which media group archives the most bogus news stories!
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; July 24th, 2019 at 10:59 AM.

Administrator
    I don't even know that regulating the free press would help that much (not that I think it's a good idea to begin with, other than the minor regulations we already have in place). I was reading a couple of articles where some journalists were interviewing people outside of Trump's latest campaign rally, the one featuring the "send her back" chant. I'm going from memory, but I believe one interviewee was a 57 year old elementary school teacher who said something along the lines of "I don't follow CNN. I don't follow Fox News. I just read Trump's tweets and QAnon." I'm not sure how press regulation would fix that.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    The afternoon session seems to have been more interesting. Granted, I've only watched the highlights reel.

I suppose Mueller feels more comfortable talking to investigators and spies than he does with lawyers.
    acket.

Can't fix it for everybody I guess.

Anyway, if CEOs shouldn't tweet, perhaps presidents also shouldn't tweet too?

I suppose a simple fix for social media is having a more stringent rule for high profile public figures that once a post is found to be demonstrably false by other independent fact check groups, then the social media platform need to put a big red X on top of that post and make sure everyone knows that it's false.

Free press is important. Likewise free speech. I don't want platforms censoring speech, but we need to find better ways to stop the spread of fake news somehow. We're getting out of control...

The Republicans all sounded like dickheads as they defended their beloved Imbecile in Chief. Mueller was probably fucking with them the entire time refusing to answer their questions. I’d do the same in response to their tone.

On the other hand, Democrats sounded like little puppies with their tongues hanging out as they were fawning over their hero. Pretty pathetic.

Ultimately nothing has been resolved. The whole hearing seems pointless.

Administrator
    Sounded the same as the Kavanaugh hearings, and basically every other hearing.