Page 1363 of 2478 FirstFirst ... 3638631263131313531361136213631364136513731413146318632363 ... LastLast
Results 13,621 to 13,630 of 24776

Thread: Politics

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by An Introduction to Statistical Methods & Data Analysis
    Mode
    1. It is the most frequent or probable measurement in the data set.
    2. There can be more than one mode for a data set.
    3. It is not influenced by extreme measurements.
    4. Modes of subsets cannot be combined to determine the mode of the complete data set.
    5. For grouped data, its value can change depending on the categories used.
    6. It is applicable for both qualitative and quantitative data.

Median

1. It is the central value; 50% of the measurements lie above it and 50% fall below it.
    2. There is only one median for a data set.
    3. It is not influenced by extreme measurements.
    4. Medians of subsets cannot be combined to determine the median of the complete data set.
    5. For grouped data, its value is rather stable even when the data are organized into different categories.
    6. It is applicable to quantitative data only.

Mean

1. It is the arithmetic average of the measurements in a data set.
    2. There is only one mean for a data set.
    3. Its value is influenced by extreme measurements; trimming can help to reduce the degree of influence.
    4. Means of subsets can be combined to determine the mean of the complete data set.
    5. It is applicable to quantitative data only.
    ##
    acket.

Average is a shifted X-axle.
    Median is a shifted Y-axle.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SportWagon View Post
    "Great" is not a well-defined, or well-constrained, word.

In some rhetoric, such as the type Trump engages in, at times different meanings will be used at different times as suits the moment. Demonstrations of one type of greatness might be later used to try and claim proof of another type of greatness.
    Dude, It's a euphemism for "white".

As in: Make America WHITE Again.
    I thank you sincerely for that perspective.

That is certainly not a baseless perspective, but I believe such perspective is also not a very constructive perspective.

Even for a white supremacist, seriously, when was the last time white supremacy won out in the end? Nazi's lost. American segregationists lost... not only losing the civil war, but also losing the right to own slaves... and now rights of the non-white's continued to gain momentum. From this perspective, Neanderthal is absolutely right that America was NEVER great that way. White supremacists' greatness had never been sustainable longterm. To try again is foolishness.

Now for non-white supremacists, such perspective may cause us to want to kick the ass of somebody wearing the MAGA hat. Even seeing people wearing MAGA hats getting seriously beaten up would cause us to laugh about such violence and thought the stupid jerk deserved it. Is that really the path we want to go?

I've definitely seen non-whites wearing MAGA hats. We certainly need to be cautious and not allow white supremacists to gain anymore power in the future, but at the same time probably should just give people with different political orientations with the benefit of the doubt... that not assume that all conservatives are white supremacists, right? No need to repeat Billi's follies.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    Oh, and, again, when was America great?
    I've given this some thought since neanderthal posted the original question. July 4, 1776? December 15, 1791? The Louisiana Purchase? The summer of 1918 in Western Europe? The Berlin Airlift? That week or two after September 11, 2001 when everyone seemed united?

One possible answer that I haven't ruled out yet: July 16, 1969 - July 24, 1969.

I will say with much confidence that if it were ever great it was long before Twitter.

Yeah, like back when the president's nickname was Silent Cal.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I've given this some thought since neanderthal posted the original question. July 4, 1776? December 15, 1791? The Louisiana Purchase? The summer of 1918 in Western Europe? The Berlin Airlift? That week or two after September 11, 2001 when everyone seemed united?

One possible answer that I haven't ruled out yet: July 16, 1969 - July 24, 1969.
    Who was it great for in 1776? The British? Probably a no.They had to tuck tail and lick their wounds. Native Americans? Definitely a no, even to this day. Blacks? Definitely a no, even to this day.
    Ratification of the Bill of Rights didn't change things for Native Americans and black Americans. Neither did the Louisiana purchase. Nor did WW1, WWII, the moon landing, or Sept 11. September 11 made life difficult quite fucking shit for Arab Americans, Muslims in general and collaterally Sikhs, and Hindus. That's not to mention the devastation of Afghanistan and Iraq that followed.

Those were great things that happened, but from my perspective they didn't make America great because none of those made America actually live up to the ideals it professes. The 13th amendment still allows a form of slavery ffs; prison labor.

America has never lived up to its ideals. Not for large parts of its population. It's over promised and under delivered to those segments of the population. And until it can live up to it's ideals for all citizens it can't be great. People bankrupt themselves paying for healthcare for fucks sakes.

We're not going to examine the things/ incidents/ happenings where America could have absofuckinglutely been great but was the complete opposite. The AIDS crisis in the 80s. Flooding urban areas with drugs. To fund war corporate imperialism in South America. Nevermind Afghanistan and especially Iraq. Puerto Rico, just recently. Flint. New Orleans. The fucking pipelines. Police brutality. (we been dealing with this shit since before Rodney King!! and that's 1991!!!) Columbine.Today, with all the evidence of global warming and climate change, we still have entities pushing for coal/ gas. Resisting clean renewable energy. Today! Etc etc etc.
    And all of this is in our lifetimes. We can go back further and talk about the Philipines, pretty much all of South America, Vietnam, Hawaii, toppling governments/ internecine actions in Africa, Asia, South America, the pacific, Japanese internment in WW2, etc etc etc.

America was never great.

I really do suggest everyone read Howard Zinn's "A Peoples History Of The United States."
    Last edited by neanderthal; August 19th, 2019 at 11:57 AM.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post

I know it's a terrible thing to answer a question with another question. But I'd go back to a previous topic on this same thread, and ask back... Which of the nine nations of America are you referring to when you say great?
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    I will say with much confidence that if it were ever great it was long before Twitter.
    And that "greatness" will always beg the question "who was it great for?"