Page 1377 of 2478 FirstFirst ... 3778771277132713671375137613771378137913871427147718772377 ... LastLast
Results 13,761 to 13,770 of 24776

Thread: Politics

Increasing min wage is nice, but that's assuming you don't lose your job due to min wage increase.

Forgiving student loans are nice too, but I'm assuming taxpayers will still end up paying for it, right? That's still a chunk of money. I think that'll cost $2.2 trillion and Bernie would want wall st to pay for that. How though? I'm not so sure. Stock market isn't just a money tree that could be used to finance everything.

Anyway, here's Yang's answer to how he'll pay for this freedom dividend:
    https://www.yang2020.com/blog/ubi_fa...-basic-income/

One of the key source of income to finance this would be VAT(value added tax), that's similar to sales tax, but we the consumer pay the sales tax, VAT will be something businesses pay when they do businesses with each other. From raw material to the final product, there'll be taxes every step of the way as value is added. This will make it difficult for businesses to hide profits. Plus, as Andrew mentioned... that in the future, companies may not be hiring workers... and them robots won't be paying the government anymore income taxes.

VAT for sure will make things more expensive... and might end up rendering our $1000 kinda worthless..., but I do believe it is necessary otherwise government tax revenue will just continue to dwindle all the while companies get richer and richer. I don't care too much about UBI, but VAT is absolutely necessary to narrow the gap between the super rich and us common folks.

Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; September 13th, 2019 at 01:18 PM.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    That rich actress gets 14 days of prison for running a racketeering scheme. White privilege, anyone?
    acket.

I still think it’s rich privilege. If you evaporate Trillions of wealth on wall st and then rematerialize them into your own bank account and caused a worldwide financial meltdown, you’ll get 0 days of jail time. Don’t matter if you’re republican or democrat, black or white.

Anyway, just my 2cents.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    That rich actress gets 14 days of prison for running a racketeering scheme. White privilege, anyone?
    Didn't she participate in, rather than run the school admissions thing? I've only skim read the local article.

Administrator
    Yeah, and the 14 days seems reasonable. The problem is you've also got people who are getting insanely long terms for lesser infractions. It's not that she should get a harsher sentence, it's that non-rich non-white people tend to get too harsh of sentences.

No arguments from me. It's the same thing here in NZ. Seems like it's definitely a thing to buy down your punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Yeah, and the 14 days seems reasonable. The problem is you've also got people who are getting insanely long terms for lesser infractions. It's not that she should get a harsher sentence, it's that non-rich non-white people tend to get too harsh of sentences.
    African American lady used her sisters baby sitters address. Kid went to a school in a good/ better district as a result. Sentenced to 12(?) years. I don't remember the specifics, maybe they were living in their car for a lil bit then got a place that wasn't in that school district. Edit; Tanya McDowell.

Plenty more stories like this.

Rich white lady gets 14 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    No arguments from me. It's the same thing here in NZ. Seems like it's definitely a thing to buy down your punishment.
    We haven't seen how she's "bought down" her punishment. We've seen though, how the system works one way when you're this skin colour, and another if you're not.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    African American lady used her sisters baby sitters address. Kid went to a school in a good/ better district as a result. Sentenced to 12(?) years. I don't remember the specifics, maybe they were living in their car for a lil bit then got a place that wasn't in that school district. Edit; Tanya McDowell.

That is fucked up!

Still, I do wonder if you’re a white homeless, would you get better treatment in that district?

And if a rich black celebrity bought her kid to a prestigious college, will she get more days?

Anyway, my point is that racism is probably more difficult to fight against than narrowing the wealth gap. Plus, black Americans have the short end of the financial stick since the beginning. Thats something even Lincoln and Dr King haven’t solved yet...

Something is seriously wrong with a society that locks up a homeless person for trying to send her kid to school.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; September 14th, 2019 at 06:58 AM.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post

That is very important and definitely needs to be discussed. The problem is that it's also different parts of the country and a different judge/court system. Things like this would be much easier to pinpoint and criticize if it was the same judge in both situations for example.