Page 1632 of 1821 FirstFirst ... 632113215321582162216301631163216331634164216821732 ... LastLast
Results 16,311 to 16,320 of 18208

Thread: Politics

Ask me about my bottom br
    Thread about that guy you tried to defend his favorite bar with a "hand-and-a-half sword" and ended up in hospital. He rationalized it saying he was a crusader fighting the armies of Saladin.
    acket.

Looting's happening two blocks from my office.

Saw my favorite bar near work had fire hoses leading in the front door. My boss said all the businesses on his block were looted, including Sunnin, a restaurant run by a family that emigrated here from Lebanon.

A lot of people are angry, and a lot of people are out of work, and then there’s also the agitators... its a good combination for looting/rioting. It sucks, but at the same time I understand it.

This week has been a sad week for so many reasons. It’s hard stay optimistic about the future.

Yeah. Rikadyn's article definitely made me think, but it was 100% clear from the footage that the looters were not even remotely associated with the demonstrators. Literally no connection, just a bunch of people coming in to take advantage of the situation - came in with their license plates covered and were literally pulling up in cars, having a few people run out and grab as much as they could, then loading it into the back of the car and taking off.

The looting doesn't worry me nearly as much as fires. A lot of places in downtown Santa Monica are mixed-use - businesses on the first floor, residences above them. My boss, who I've been friends with for 15+ years, lives a block from the REI that just caught on fire and he's in a mixed-use apartment. I've told him that he and his wife can come and stay here, but I don't think he feels like he can safely get out of the area right now. I'm friends with the guy who owns the bar I mentioned, as well as with a bunch of the people who work there, and I know they planned to be open today.

As much as I feel like I can get it, I get it, but it doesn't change the fact that I'm watching this happen in a place I'm often at and that a lot of my friends are currently trapped in the middle of it.

Sushi place at 4th & Santa Monica is on fire, across street from the REI that I presume they got the fires out in.

Venturi3D.com for the FUTURE MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I will say, it is interesting to see pretty much all of the protest signs using proper grammar and spelling, something that seems better compared to the right wingers protests
    ║]=(86)=[║ Venturi3D.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Yeah. Rikadyn's article definitely made me think, but it was 100% clear from the footage that the looters were not even remotely associated with the demonstrators.
    Yea it was more to counter the idea that just being from out of town is automatically a negative. These problems are systemic and the fact that they keep happening means that they are more than just local news.

After getting some grape line news, yea seems there is a good deal of nazi groups looking to use this as an excuse to get protestors killed. Also good deal of cops agitating to do the same thing.

In the meantime our beloved leader has decided to declare antifa a terrorist organization. This is problematic because antifa is not ever been an organization. Rather its shorthand for anti-fascism and a banner for unaligned leftist groups to work together under. This means anyone who opposes fascism is now a terrorist.

Last edited by Rikadyn; May 31st, 2020 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    She has held power, she has delineated policy; her actions excluded and marginalized the same people that later went and voted for her opponent. She's an opportunistic politician who lost to a band of opportunistic politicians who capitalized on her mistakes.

The problems your country is facing right now are there because the structure that governs it has become more rigid, and in order to maintain its order it is more violent. That same structure became that way under Clinton's watch and because of Trump's pressures.

Blame culture ("fuck Trump voters", "thugs and outside agitators") is you yanks chasing your collective tail.

You should strive for dialogue, for a better political process. You mo have got to get it in your head that it's not "the others' problem", your discourse is part of the problem.
    Sigh.

Um, you'll have to show me exactly where Hillary Clinton's power and policy "excluded and marginalised" the white middle class. And don't even point to affirmative action because the greatest beneficiaries of affirmative action have been white women.

The problems we face are because lies were repeatedly disseminated during the recent presidency of a good and honorable man. Lies, mistrust, anger, hate were sewn by a media no longer accountable for accurately reporting truth, thanks to the release of that restriction by Reagan. Those mistruths fomented such anger that a thoroughly competent and highly accomplished woman, (herself victim of similar attacks and prevarications since the late eighties/ early nineties!) was beaten in the last presidential elections under dubious circumstances.

The victor, a witless nincompoop nincomtwat, has then gone on to do essentially nothing, but undo the work of the previous president, while further excarcebating the divide between the haves and the have nots, rewarding his cronies and looting the coffers whichever way he can. And, those allegedly "disaffected voters" have sat back and done nothing but repeat such high level discourse as "fuck your feelings" to us in the meanwhile.
    100000 people have died. One, hundred, thousand. Recently. In these last 3 months. And those same "disaffected voters" have championed us sacrificing our elderly so they can go get a fucking haircut. Or cupcakes.

Forgive me if I think they can get fucked. By a rusty, running chainsaw.

Mind you, a lot of them currently wringing their hands about the rioting going on right now, were losing their fucking minds when Kaep was quietly, peacefully, protesting the continued murder of black people by police. Rioting which right now was also triggered by ... <checks notes> police killing a black man.

To quote Martin Luther King Jr. "Rioting is the language of the unheard."

And to quote Mo; "fuck the Trumpers."

Should point out to the people displaying anguish over property damage; the City of Chicago spent $100 million on police misconduct settlements in the most recent budget year.