Page 1680 of 2478 FirstFirst ... 6801180158016301670167816791680168116821690173017802180 ... LastLast
Results 16,791 to 16,800 of 24777

Thread: Politics

No worries, we just need to be the greatest trading nation on earth I guess. We don’t need any favors!

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Spiro Agnew was Richard Nixon's first vice president. Agnew resigned. Nixon appointed Gerald Ford as VP. Nixon then resigned. Ford became president.

Ford was elected to the House of Representatives, but he was never elected vice president or president.

Granted, Ford had to be confirmed by both houses of Congress, and that could potentially quash the kind of shenanigans being discussed here, especially with an unqualified and/or unpopular nomination, but it has happened before.
    I've been thinking about this. I should have used the world nominee instead of nomination, but this is much more important:

Confirmation of an appointed vice president only requires a simple majority in each house of Congress. It does not require a two-thirds super majority.

Therefore, if one party had a majority in both houses of Congress, theoretically that party could make anyone president who is qualified to hold the officer per the Constitution, assuming the vice presidents (plural) and the president went along with the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Remarks from Trump's press conference yesterday...

Yes. It's true that the US never even asked for most-favored trade status with...itself.
    I dunno man, give him a break. I mean, I only learned about MFN status from a computer game i played when I was 11 years old. Whereas he's just the elected leader of the United States. He can't be expected to know EVERYTHING!!!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I've been thinking about this. I should have used the world nominee instead of nomination, but this is much more important:

Confirmation of an appointed vice president only requires a simple majority in each house of Congress. It does not require a two-thirds super majority.

Therefore, if one party had a majority in both houses of Congress, theoretically that party could make anyone president who is qualified to hold the officer per the Constitution, assuming the vice presidents (plural) and the president went along with the plan.
    That's kinda diabolical...

Chances of that should be slim. If majority of Americans support trump, yeah, that chance might get fatter... but 4 years ago, Trump did not receive majority popular support. 4 years later, I can't say he has gained more support to make that more plausible...

I'm not suggesting it would happen; only that it's theoretically possible.

Perhaps I should write a novel called The Hostile Takeover or something. Maybe some American soldiers are captured by foreign powers and brainwashed and then returned to their unit. Later, one of...

Nah, it's probably been done before.

Administrator
    Brad Parscale out as campaign director, he was credited with a lot of his social media presence and digital fund raising, but got blamed for embarrassment of the Tulsa rally supposedly having 800,000 RSVPs but only 6,000 people showing up.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    "Daddy was just not working for me anymore"

Administrator
    We don't have a "I'm never going to stop vomiting" emoji :/