Page 1709 of 2477 FirstFirst ... 7091209160916591699170717081709171017111719175918092209 ... LastLast
Results 17,081 to 17,090 of 24770

Thread: Politics

Administrator
    To further what Mario is saying, sometimes it's not the speech but the way it's spoken.

Still, you can be progressive and tolerant and also have a line at which point you do not need to entertain the speaker any longer. If Richard Spencer starts trying to tell me about how white males should run everything and also round up all the Jews, I don't have any obligation to listen and it doesn't in any way take away my progressive credentials. The "how progressive can you be" thing reminds me of a former friend who always went with "So much for the tolerant left!" any time I disagreed with him. It's a cop-out.

I'm not saying everyone needs to hear what I said... I do understand that I'm not that important nor the smartest person around... people can definitely selectively tune stuff off, but to completely ignore somebody to shield yourself inside a bubble is what people prefer today.

Like Mr. Bean is saying... zero tolerance for insulting or perhaps even hateful speech is like shielding yourself inside a clean germ free room. Is that really the ideal way to live? For some with immune deficiencies, this may be necessary, but for normal folks, we shouldn't live like that.

Political correctness and cancel culture are the kind of movement that justified different forms of intolerance and arguably the reasons why it made Trump popular in the 1st place... because he's more authentic... he shoots from the hip... he doesn't use his brain!

Anyway, I just thought the idea of 'I do not tolerate intolerance' as a cop-out.

We shouldn't just be tolerant of folks who share your views and intolerant of the folks who do not... or embrace 'diversity' as long as you fall in line of my kind of ideology...

Even Jesus doesn't distinguish between sins. Wage for all form of sins deserve death... and he saves people from all sins. Yeah, Jesus has his form of 'ideology' I suppose, but he is God! who are the left to decide what is tolerable and what's not?

Anyway, my original point is that it should be fine to use the ignore feature when you feel uncomfortable with somebody. That is certainly your freedom. However, it kinda ticks me off when people have to mention repeatedly that oh I have to put so and so on ignore in order to demonstrate how inoffensively superior they are.

Personally, I really don't care whether if you're offensive or not. What's more important is that we're able to share ideas. If you're not here at the political market place to share and exchange ideas... what are you here for?

If you're a true progressive... want to do this or do that for all... then 1st you need to really be tolerant of all. We don't have to like them all, but at least be tolerant. There shouldn't be a medicare for all except you assholes.... and free college for all except you bigots...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; August 24th, 2020 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Did you hear Mr. Trump say during the RNC that he plans on staying for more than two terms? Knowing what you now know, would you accept that as a joke or "just his opinion"?
    This dude likes to think out loud... and I don't think we need to take him too seriously...

Still, it's moment like this that I'm glad our nation afforded us the right to bear fucking arms.

If he does succeed with a 3rd term, I wonder if the secret services would end up choose to protect a dictator or protect this country... Anyway, I can't believe Trump will be able to be a 3 termer. He can dream on.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; August 24th, 2020 at 03:33 PM.

Administrator
    I think as long as the ignore is for specific people rather than anybody who disagrees with you, I don't see a problem with it.

But that last sentence I fully disagree with. I do not need to be tolerant of everyone to be a true progressive. I don't, for instance, think I need to be tolerant of Jerry Falwell, Jr.

I guess we need to make sure our definition of tolerance is the same...

If he's giving a hateful speech on the street while you happened to walk by, it fucking ticked you off!

Would you beat the crap out of him to shut him up or would you continue to walk away and get the fuck outta there?

If you do the later, then you are a tolerant enough IMHO. There's definitely a difference between tolerate and like. Not asking you to like something you clearly disagree with.

To counter hate speech, the best method is more speech! Listeners are not stupid. Listeners can typically tell who's more righteous and authentic. I think the problem today is that our speech givers lacked authenticity.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; August 24th, 2020 at 04:14 PM.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Jerry Falwell, Jr.
    Cuck video in 3... 2...
    acket.

Administrator
    My level of tolerance was based on essentially the ignore feature here. I wouldn't beat the crap out of him, but I also wouldn't bother listening.

Administrator
    Cuck video in 3... 2...
    That was some serious irony, right? The go-to insult for the alt-right turns out to be his actual kink.

I'm not into kink-shaming, but I do like the way someone else put it: He should get exactly as much shame piled on him as he's piled on other people for their sex lives.

Did you hear Mr. Trump say during the RNC that he plans on staying for more than two terms? Knowing what you now know, would you accept that as a joke or "just his opinion"?
    I say he has never read the Constitution Of The United States and hasn't even sat still for ten minutes to receive an executive briefing about it to include a few key points he should know as president.

That...and/or the third term suggestion is another bit of deliberate misinformation to distract, confuse, and elicit an emotional response both pro and con from both sides of the aisle.
    Last edited by George; August 24th, 2020 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    My level of tolerance was based on essentially the ignore feature here. I wouldn't beat the crap out of him, but I also wouldn't bother listening.
    If you occasionally read my posts, I think that is proof that you are tolerant enough!

But seriously, I think Things like political correctness has caused folks to become so fake nowadays that some people end up admiring authentic assholes like Trump!