Page 1724 of 2478 FirstFirst ... 7241224162416741714172217231724172517261734177418242224 ... LastLast
Results 17,231 to 17,240 of 24779

Thread: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    There needs to be hope people can believe in.
    No disagreement on that!

Anyway, I do believe Trump had the advantage of being an unknown at the time, but not anymore.

If stock market tanks, natural disasters get more out of control in red states, or if more personal bad news leaks out, he could easily be out. If not, then yeah, he just might hang on for 4 more years.

Anyway, I just don’t think either Biden or Trump have it in the bag yet... for Biden to increase his chances, I do agree with you that he needs to share his vision of how he’ll rebuild a better America rather than just telling us that he’ll retake America from Trump.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    The people who vote Trump don't care for the stock market in a rational way. And it's not like Trump understands it well enough to present a compelling case to anyone. He bests and enbiggens its performance but that's about it.

Elections are popularity contests, and Trump, the lying sack of pus, racist evil snake that he is, has developed a connection to his feverish fanatics.

He has openly asked them to commit election fraud, ffs!
    Last edited by FaultyMario; September 14th, 2020 at 07:50 AM.
    acket.

What's missing from the Democrats is true empathy for the people who are getting duped by this moron.
    acket.

I agree Billi, neither of the senile, lying, old men running for president should be assured of anything in regards to the election outcome.
    acket.

Yeah, diehard Trump supporters won't change their minds, but that's just a minority of americans. If majority of Americans are truly white supremacists, how the hell Obama became president, right?

I'm pretty sure Trump has shaken the faith of some republicans.

Anyway, yeah, I'm kinda sick of our situation as well.

Take the forest fire issue that I was discussing about in the other thread...

Trump and conservatives would like to blame us on poor forest management and we liberals would just want to shift blame to global warming...

Well, it could be both you know? What is the fucking point of blaming each other while doing nothing about forest management and nothing on global warming?

This is the state of our politics. I'm not going to do whatever you say and you're not going to do whatever I say... in the end nothing gets done... except the rich getting richer and poor getting poorer after each disaster...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; September 14th, 2020 at 08:06 AM.

No, you're taking my words and mixing the with your ideas.

This is what I said:

Some people are getting duped by Trump.
    Most of the people who support Trump have a feverish attitude towards him.
    Most people who support Trump do not care for abstract, evidenced-based explanations of phenomena like the stock market.
    Most people who support Trump have idealized views of what individual rights are.

Are they gullible? Are they racist? What is the most effective way in which politicians need to approach these individuals? I do not know.

What I do know, is that Trump, like the used-car salesman he is, knows that his appeal to these groups is entirely irrational; and by that I mean that the logical path is not one based on verifiable information.

I also know that collective choice is a complicated area of human behavior, some people make choices based on what they think would benefit them indirectly, others choose certain things out of group pressure; so we really shouldn't generalize to all Trump supporters the idea of a vocal few.

That is not to say that there aren't racist, jingoist, hateful people supporting that political option. But I believe they're still in the minority. However, as they are part of "the group", people who are already on the Trump side would tend to have a favorable view of their actions, if they defend "the group" from "the hostiles".

From that i conclude that a) a message to Trump supporters that is hostile to parts of "the group" would go unheeded, b) a message that is rooted in rationality would go unheeded, as facts do not matter.

Say, for example, that you have a relative in a cult, you do not get her out of the cult by pointing out that the leader is brainwashing her or that what she is doing is going to hurt her. She knows both those things, she doesn't need you to tell her. Metaphorically, people need other people to be "my brother's keeper"; literally, they need that sort of initiatives to be wide-ranging and far-reaching, and not an afterthought.
    acket.

And here is a problem that we see all over the world with political parties. They are a tool for reaching positions of power, they are no longer place of discussion, a place where people air their grievances; these organizations no longer provide continual community support, they just talk the part during election season, and go away after that. Accountability over these publicly-owned enterprises was lost, that's why an "outsider" like Trump seems like a good idea. On principle. Somehow.
    acket.

I totally agree with your ideas above, I don't believe my ideas nullifies any of your ideas..., but regardless, I won't mix them together.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Some segments -Florida Latinos, for example- show a large swing in Trump's favor.
    Speaking of:

‘This is f---ing crazy’: Florida Latinos swamped by wild conspiracy theories

Ok. This, for me, is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Whistleblower Complaint Alleges Mass Hysterectomies at ICE Detention Center

The nurse, Dawn Wooten, was employed at the Irwin County Detention Center (ICDC) in Georgia, which is operated by LaSalle Corrections, a private prison company. The complaint was filed with the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) by advocacy groups Project South, Georgia Detention Watch, Georgia Latino Alliance for Human Rights, and South Georgia Immigrant Support Network.

Multiple women came forward to tell Project South about what they perceived to be the inordinate rate at which women in ICDC were subjected to hysterectomies – a surgical operation in which all or part of the uterus is removed. Additionally, many of the immigrant women who underwent the procedure were reportedly “confused” when asked to explain why they had the surgery, with one detainee likening their treatment to prisoners in concentration camps.
    The complaint details several accounts from detainees, including one woman who was not properly anesthetized during the procedure and heard the aforementioned doctor tell the nurse he had mistakenly removed the wrong ovary, resulting in her losing all reproductive ability. Another said she was scheduled for the procedure but when she questioned why it was necessary, she was given at least three completely different answers.

“She was originally told by the doctor that she had an ovarian cyst and was going to have a small twenty-minute procedure done drilling three small holes in her stomach to drain the cyst,” according to the complaint. “The officer who was transporting her to the hospital told her that she was receiving a hysterectomy to have her womb removed. When the hospital refused to operate on her because her COVID-19 test came back positive for antibodies, she was transferred back to ICDC where the ICDC nurse said that the procedure she was going to have done entailed dilating her vagina and scraping tissue off. “
    Which crimes fall within the jurisdiction of the ICC?

The mandate of the Court is to try individuals (rather than States), and to hold such persons accountable for the most serious crimes of concern to the international community as a whole, namely the crime of genocide,war crimes,crimes against humanity,and the crime of aggression,when the conditions for the exercise of the Court’s jurisdiction over the latter are fulfilled.

According to the Rome Statute, “genocide” means any of the following acts committed with the intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group:

• killing members of the group;
    • causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
    • deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
    • imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
    • forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

“Crimes against humanity” include any of the following acts committed as part of a widespread or systematic attack directed against any civilian population, with knowledge of the attack:

• murder;
    • extermination;
    • enslavement;
    • deportation or forcible transfer of population;
    • imprisonment;
    • torture;
    • rape,sexual slavery,enforced prostitution, forced pregnancy, enforced sterilization, or any other form of sexual violence of comparable gravity;
    • persecution against an identifiable group on political, racial, national, ethnic, cultural, religious or gender grounds;
    • enforced disappearance of persons;
    • the crime of apartheid;
    • other inhumane acts of a similar character intentionally causing great suffering or serious bodily or mental injury.
    acket.