Page 1748 of 1818 FirstFirst ... 74812481648169817381746174717481749175017581798 ... LastLast
Results 17,471 to 17,480 of 18176

Thread: Politics

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Anyway, just let businesses figure out how to run their business as long as they are not cheating anybody.

That's the thing, they kinda are cheating people. We have basic employer protections as part of law because businesses can't be trusted to meet bare minimums out of the goodness of their hearts. Normally, an independent contractor would be able to negotiate a rate for their services, but gig economy people don't get to do that. They get paid what the company dictates or they leave. Given at least that CA is an at will state, that's basically the same status as a full time employee, only now you don't get minimum wage and other protections. This is all ignoring the nonsense Uber pulled with having you lease a car at an exorbitant price from them and they basically garnishing your pay to pay for it.

The government does have safety nets, things like minimum wage laws and other employee protections. Uber, Lyft, and other gig economy companies are purposely circumventing that, this law would be an attempt to shore up that safety net.

Under normal circumstances, yeah, supreme court justice nominations are important..., but now, I really don't care. At least there are 9 of them and none can be dictators. Plus, it's not like there's anything we can do to stop this nomination process. All we can do is hope that their supporters realize that they are bunch of hypocrites? (which is unlikely)

For now, I'm just worry about the presidential race... if we have another tight race, if half of our population won't recognize the winner with a slim margin as the legit president... then we as a nation will be really screwed.

Biden not only needs a win, but a convincing win.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Spoiler:

That's the thing, they kinda are cheating people. We have basic employer protections as part of law because businesses can't be trusted to meet bare minimums out of the goodness of their hearts. Normally, an independent contractor would be able to negotiate a rate for their services, but gig economy people don't get to do that. They get paid what the company dictates or they leave. Given at least that CA is an at will state, that's basically the same status as a full time employee, only now you don't get minimum wage and other protections. This is all ignoring the nonsense Uber pulled with having you lease a car at an exorbitant price from them and they basically garnishing your pay to pay for it.

The government does have safety nets, things like minimum wage laws and other employee protections. Uber, Lyft, and other gig economy companies are purposely circumventing that, this law would be an attempt to shore up that safety net.
    I'd rather governments just put 'cheating' businesses out of business rather than create laws to make sure 'cheating' businesses pay fair wages and benefits.

Uber did not force people into this gig economy. Politicians can perhaps share some blame too.

Maybe Andrew Yang is asking too much with UBI, but perhaps governments can step in and fill in the living wage gap? If somebody is working full time and still not making a living wage, perhaps govt could step in and give the person a big refund to help people not fall into proverty? It'd also be nice for the government to be able to provide all of us basic and affordable healthcare.

In order to afford this, government better be doing a better job collecting the taxes they are suppose to collect rather than cutting corporate taxes or allow them to evade taxes... and most importantly not to waste taxes...

Anyway, uber's business model is clear, also considering they are not making a killing under current environment.

I'd rather not see uber disappear or leave CA completely because of this proposition.

Forget about the 'kinda' cheating part. People/companies/goverments operate in gray areas all the time. If someone is for sure 'cheating', than absolutely we should do something. Otherwise, I think we have much bigger fish to fry than uber. And if uber goes under or leave the state, these gig workers won't even have gigs anymore. Will the state of CA give them full time jobs?

I just don't believe this proposition solves any problems. I might have voted yes if we don't have a pandemic or if this isn't 2020...

Plus, these 'gigs' will soon be replaced by self driving cars anyways..., but then again, self driving cars won't be able to deliver food!
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; September 29th, 2020 at 10:50 AM.

Ask me about my bottom br
    The debate will air live on CNN, CNN en Espaņol and CNN International.

It will stream live in its entirety, without requiring log-in to a cable provider, on CNN.com's homepage, across mobile devices via CNN's apps for iOS and Android, and via CNNgo apps for Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire, Chromecast and Android TV.

You can also follow CNN's live debate coverage on CNN.com
    ##
    acket.

I wasn't going to be watching but now I've fortified by booze cabinet and I'm ready.

Yep, got a fresh bottle of sotol today, so ranch waters will be on tap.
    -Formerly Stabulator

It's live on YouTube isn't it?

Lol too bad it's the morning of a normal workday here. Otherwise I'd offer to do a Zoom Bullshit Bingo drinking session.

Man, this is so funny. Gogogo Billi's favourite executive!!!