Page 1751 of 1818 FirstFirst ... 75112511651170117411749175017511752175317611801 ... LastLast
Results 17,501 to 17,510 of 18176

Thread: Politics

  1. #17501
    Ask me about my bottom br
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    ox.mx
    Posts
    5,279
    If he wins in November, he will finally be free to do
    whatever he wants… or maybe “wants” is too strong a word
    for right now. It conjures up images of Papa Doc, Batista,
    Somoza; jails full of bewildered “political prisoners” and the
    constant cold-sweat fear of jackboots suddenly kicking your
    door off its hinges at four A.M.
    ##
    acket.

  2. #17502
    Venturi3D.com for the FUTURE MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Posts
    4,204
    I still am 95% sure that Trump CANNOT win legitimately, the numbers for him just aren't there. Heck he's killed off probably 100,000 or more Trump voters with COVID already (He "won" by ~17,000 votes in 2016)

    So if he somehow "Wins", it won't be legitimate and who knows what we will do at that point in response
    ║]=(86)=[║ Venturi3D.com

  3. #17503
    Senior Member sandydandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    1,208
    Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    Perception is a mutha fucker ain't it.

    Most of the tweets I saw regarding the debate debacle alluded to the ... uncontrolled nature of it (i'm trying not not harp on specifics like the Proud Boys non moment.) And how the moderator was basically useless. Something that I agree with.
    Regarding the moderator, I do agree with your earlier hashtag about muting Trump's mic. I'm surprised it's not already standard practice for debates when someone repeatedly violates the rules.

    I saw one tweet that made me pause in my own criticism of Biden. It said that in the chaos and flurry of words that was Trump, and was reflective of his presidency, Biden was a sea of calm. And I hadn't really thought about that. And maybe that's what he was trying to project.

    To you and I (most men i think) we saw Biden essentially cowering to Trump (cowering is a strong word, but bear with me.) But to many women, they saw their abusive/ manipulative/ alcoholic ex in Trump's behaviour. Maybe he was trying to highlight how deranged Trump is.
    I wouldn't say cowering. He just didn't fight back hard enough and sounded too much like a nice guy. Can't play that way with Trump. Looking calm and civilized is all great, but it's 2020 and society has coarsened to such a degree that matching Trump's aggressive tone might be the only way to beat him in a debate.

    You know I reread what I wrote in earlier posts and maybe I was a tad bit harsh on old Joe. I guess I was just disappointed and expected more. I wanted to see someone really stand up aggressively to Trump, but instead Trump went on the attack and Joe looked like he was on the defensive quite a bit. That was frustrating to watch. I so wish it were Obama debating Trump. He would've eviscerated him with ease.

    If he'd called Trump a sick son of a bitch the media would've glommed onto that harder than why he even said it. The right wing talk shows and Fuax would be all atwitter about the crassness of Biden and it would be all they talked about for the next three weeks. YOU. KNOW. THIS. For reference see; her emails, Benghazi, he wore a tan suit.
    The media have not challenged Trump at all. They haven't called him out when he lies. They haven't called his lies "lies." They've been complicit in his elevation and in maintaining him elevated.
    Ok maybe it's good he didn't use expletives. But if someone were to constantly attack my kids in the public forum I'd at least react in a much more forceful manner. I wish he did that. He could've used any combination of phrases to illustrate how much of a sick and deranged individual Trump is. People on the right need to hear that in real time. Especially those people just right of center who are still undecided.

    I, was impressed that Biden, a stutterer mind you, who has taught himself not to stutter and to be a competent public speaker, was able to keep himself composed for the little that I watched.
    I knew his stuttering was part of it. Being a stutterer myself, I can very much relate. That's the disadvantage of being a stutterer, it's a fucking debilitating impediment. For me, at least. The degree that Biden has it under control is unreal to someone like me. In fact, I didn't even know he had a stutter until a couple of months ago when I came across a video by chance. I hope he can use whatever he learned to overcome his stutter to help him in the next debate. I wish him the best of luck in fighting this good fight. He needs to get that psychopath out of office!

  4. #17504
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    5,879
    I definitely would have liked to see something like "Are you capable of following the rules you agreed to in this debate? Is that something you can handle? Schoolchildren routinely have to handle that task, can you?", but I'm not sure it would go over with others as well as it would have gone over with me.

  5. #17505
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    7,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I definitely would have liked to see something like "Are you capable of following the rules you agreed to in this debate? Is that something you can handle? Schoolchildren routinely have to handle that task, can you?", but I'm not sure it would go over with others as well as it would have gone over with me.
    He could easily say he didn't agree to any of that? This is a free country! I talk when I want to talk! If I don't want to talk about it... then I'll switch subject to talk about something else!

    Should just do a zoom debate. When it's not your turn to talk, mute the mutherfoquer!

  6. #17506
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,011
    My suspicion is that Biden's relatively underwhelming performance last night is part of a larger debate strategy - For the first two, he acts like somebody's reasonable uncle - answering the questions, defending himself against direct attacks, occasional snark, etc. This appeals to people who just want things to return to normal sanity and stability, and ideally gets trump to let his guard down. Debate 3, he shows up loaded for bear and tries to play trump's own game - being an asshole, cutting him off, throwing his tax returns in his face, trying to bait him into saying something even more over the line than normal, etc and generally trying to dominate him - With the intention of showing trump voters "Your big man isn't so tough after all," and trying to undercut his support.
    That would be my strategy, anyway - pretty much everybody thinks he won this debate anyway, and if he'd come out too strong trump might have bailed on the later debates.
    This way, he gets his centrist "I'm an adult, I can bring the nation back together. Oh, and by the way, I used to work with a guy you might have heard of- his name is Barack Obama."-stuff out, and then afterwards come out with stuff that makes twitter go "Oh shit! Joe pwned him!!! and then he started crying and pooped his pants on tv!"

    But what do I know? I'm just a chump out here trying to reduce the amount of misery in the world and getting drunk every night.
    -Formerly Stabulator

  7. #17507
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,405
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshInKC View Post
    My suspicion is that Biden's relatively underwhelming performance last night is part of a larger debate strategy - For the first two, he acts like somebody's reasonable uncle - answering the questions, defending himself against direct attacks, occasional snark, etc. This appeals to people who just want things to return to normal sanity and stability, and ideally gets trump to let his guard down. Debate 3, he shows up loaded for bear and tries to play trump's own game - being an asshole, cutting him off, throwing his tax returns in his face, trying to bait him into saying something even more over the line than normal, etc and generally trying to dominate him - With the intention of showing trump voters "Your big man isn't so tough after all," and trying to undercut his support.
    That would be my strategy, anyway - pretty much everybody thinks he won this debate anyway, and if he'd come out too strong trump might have bailed on the later debates.
    This way, he gets his centrist "I'm an adult, I can bring the nation back together. Oh, and by the way, I used to work with a guy you might have heard of- his name is Barack Obama."-stuff out, and then afterwards come out with stuff that makes twitter go "Oh shit! Joe pwned him!!! and then he started crying and pooped his pants on tv!"

    But what do I know? I'm just a chump out here trying to reduce the amount of misery in the world and getting drunk every night.
    In my mind that's his strategy as well.

    He's locked up the battered women and "we need a reprieve from the chaos" undecideds with this calm, reserved debate. I think, in the next one, he is more forceful, but still reserved. And talks a lot more about his plans and proposals. And in the last, like you said, plays Trumps game, interferes all the time, interjects, taunts him with his failures; his marriages, his businesses, his reputation. And then sits back and lets Trump damage himself.

    What do I know. I'm just a chump out here thinking third party voters are NOT helping in the way they think they are.

  8. #17508
    Venturi3D.com for the FUTURE MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Posts
    4,204
    Third Party candidacy worked in 1992-ish when we had 2 normal candidates that had uncertain records (Bush I vs Bill Clinton) and a third party candidate with a lot of good points and momentum in Ross Perot.

    These aren't those times and if Trump loses, I don't foresee a "normal" GOP candidate for a long time. They'll double down on the insanity next time, we'll get Ted Cruz or Tom Cotton or Ron DeSantis or someone like that running
    ║]=(86)=[║ Venturi3D.com

  9. #17509
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Anyway, I just think it’s wrong to interfere with a business like that. If the business model is just wrong/unethical, then don’t let them start it or just shut them down.
    So minimum wage, standard weekly hours, sick leave, vacation leave - these should all be up to the business to decide?

    The issue is more that we set a bunch of minimums that we as society says an employer should obey. But then casual/contractor is exempt. Which if often fine when its people working smaller number of hours, part time etc. But when people start having this as a fulltime job it really is just a loophole for employers to not meet the min standards.
    We had a lot of issues with this in Australia and the courts basically came out with the concept that the person is fulltime or close and long term then they must be treated as an employee and hence get the same conditions. You cant just wave your obligations away with "oh not employee, contractor".
    As for costs, these costs are covered by businesses for employees. Maybe if the business cant cover the costs they shouldnt be in business.
    And I think its good for the whole of society - unstable workforce is being shown as just that - unstable and also damaging

  10. #17510
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    Third Party candidacy worked in 1992-ish when we had 2 normal candidates that had uncertain records (Bush I vs Bill Clinton) and a third party candidate with a lot of good points and momentum in Ross Perot.

    These aren't those times and if Trump loses, I don't foresee a "normal" GOP candidate for a long time. They'll double down on the insanity next time, we'll get Ted Cruz or Tom Cotton or Ron DeSantis or someone like that running
    Yeah, I'm a habitual 3rd party voter in the actual national elections in order to support the party I'm ideologically most closely aligned with (I primary democratic in attempts to push the party with an actual chance more towards my line of thought), but the republican option in 2016 and 2020 was too clearly a more deadly threat than usual to allow me to stand on ideological grounds and retain my morals. In 2016, I thought it was important to deal trump and his disgusting fascist supporters a crushing defeat to demonstrate that we as a species had moved past that shit - turns out we hadn't.
    And now things are worse. At this point I'm almost resigned to seeing the unpleasantness of the revolution with blood in the gutters and all that.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •