Page 1929 of 2488 FirstFirst ... 9291429182918791919192719281929193019311939197920292429 ... LastLast
Results 19,281 to 19,290 of 24878

Thread: Politics

For deciding public policy or public office, I’m all for ‘popular opinion’, with the democratic process.

However, I just don’t agree with me too movement’s way of removing people from offices.

Approval ratings go up and down... just let them serve out their terms. Politically damaged politicians won’t win re-election. If something inappropriate really happened, then we need more than just a resignation. Said person should go to jail if guilty of wrongdoing.

At least if somebody messed with my daughter, I’d like to see penalties much more severe than just the dude quitting.

Anyway, I just think we need a better process to move the me too movement forward.

In case of Cuomo, instead of calling him to resign, just investigate his ass!

Administrator
    Well, wouldn't it make sense to call for his resignation and, if he doesn't, then investigate? Why spend the money on an investigation if you can just have him voluntarily step down?

There won't be much more of a consequence than that, sexual harassment in the workplace isn't a crime you can be charged with, as far as I know.

I think it ought to be a crime.

Why should some asshole be allowed to make my wife or daughter or sister feel so uncomfortable and get away with that so easily?

Also, if the accused could prove the accusers were making things up, that should be a crime too.

We can’t just continue to have these he said she said things going on.

Administrator
    If you think it should be a crime, you have to come up with some specifics. Like, if you hit on a colleague, that's a crime? Does it depend on whether the colleague was into it? Even if you hit it off and get married, you're a criminal? Or is it better to make it a civil matter, where you can sue the person for damages?

An asshole should not be allowed to make your wife or daughter or sister feel uncomfortable. However, that's not a crime. The general punishment is losing one's job or being forced out of one's position. I don't know that being forced to resign in shame from being governor of one of the biggest states and probably foregoing a planned presidential run is "easily".

I also have zero doubt in my mind that if it was a crime, you would be the first person decrying how unfair the crime is, that you can become a criminal just because you said you liked someone's skirt or shoes.

Junior Potato
    Gotta draw the boundary somewhere.

Which is why we have courts, right? Paid professionals who sift through the details of each case on an individual basis and compare to established case law.

With, you know? Nuance?

Yeah, there can be 50 shades of gray and lots of nuances... a line needs to be clearly drawn so that people know exactly where they can’t cross it.

Can’t continue to deliberately let this gray area be left unclear, and then expect all accused democrats to just resign and the accused Republicans be allowed to ignore accusations...

This shouldn’t be partisan politics but equal treatment under the law...

I think me too movement could benefit a lot by helping people develop this line or process that’ll hinder future incidents.

Powerful people will always take advantage of people beneath them. New laws aimed at protecting workers may be a better deterrent than just asking them to maybe step down...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I also have zero doubt in my mind that if it was a crime, you would be the first person decrying how unfair the crime is, that you can become a criminal just because you said you liked someone's skirt or shoes.
    If my daughter felt uncomfortable simply because she heard some creep compliment her outfit, I’d certainly laugh at her! If the law were written that way, yeah, I’d definitely be decrying over such a stupid law.

Do you truly believe the line should be drawn there?

Complimenting coworker the wrong way should cause you to lose your job?

As long as you make me feel uncomfortable, you need to go?

There has to be a better line.

Administrator
    What if it was her boss and he kept doing it in a suggestive way? Would that be a crime? Should he keep his job? Should nothing come of it?

Obviously we can't have a suggestive crime.

People need to learn to be able to shut it down or get used to things 'suggestive'. You will encounter people with vastly different "working styles". If a boss's behavior isn't 'illegal', then perhaps it is the subordinates that need to quit if a boss makes you feel uncomfortable, rather than the boss?

My suggestion of 'illegality' would be nothing suggestive. I believe one way to avoid those suggestive incidents is to make sure there are at least 3 people in any closed door meetings if a recording device cannot be present in the room? Also make it clear other than hand shakes or perhaps high 5s, other forms of physical contact are strictly prohibited in professional settings? Giving bosses no more excuses to pretend that they were just being friendly...

Anyway, I think folks representing the me too movement ought to help the public out by drawing that line. Need something enforceable, something that can help professionals steer clear away from. If someone insists on pushing that boundary and end up crossing the line, he'll not only lose his job, he'll go to jail!

Back to Cuomo, isn’t the cover up of nursing home deaths enough to throw him out of office and in jail if found guilty?
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; March 15th, 2021 at 08:15 AM.

Administrator
    That's quite the take, but I am glad that you actually answered the question!