Page 2023 of 2481 FirstFirst ... 1023152319231973201320212022202320242025203320732123 ... LastLast
Results 20,221 to 20,230 of 24808

Thread: Politics

Administrator
    I have a problem with punching down, which it seems like he's doing. It's obviously a different situation than Louis CK, 'cause that guy was coercing women into watching him jack off, but his "return" to comedy has basically just been punching down. In the olden days I really liked CK's comedy, now I think it's just hacky. I am having a bit of that with Chappelle too.

I might watch it just to see for myself, but so far a lot of people whose taste I trust and were big fans of Dave's have all had about the same reaction, which makes me not want to see it. Conversely, a lot of people I think are assholes loved the special, so that's not helping it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I have a problem with punching down, which it seems like he's doing. It's obviously a different situation than Louis CK, 'cause that guy was coercing women into watching him jack off, but his "return" to comedy has basically just been punching down. In the olden days I really liked CK's comedy, now I think it's just hacky. I am having a bit of that with Chappelle too.

I might watch it just to see for myself, but so far a lot of people whose taste I trust and were big fans of Dave's have all had about the same reaction, which makes me not want to see it. Conversely, a lot of people I think are assholes loved the special, so that's not helping it either.
    I think that says it perfectly.

I'll have to watch it myself with a very jaundiced eye. I'm a huge fan of DC. Seen him several times. Was tempted to drive to Austin and buy a $1000 table to catch a show during the height of covid (tickets were only $250 each, 4 to a table, and I was willing to buy a whole table just for me. The timing never worked out, and then when I was ready to pull the trigger he was on with Joe Rogan. Fuck Joe Rogan!!!)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    WTF was that?

That's not hilarious, it's sad that people would vote for that loser.
    Well, the jury's out on whether any but the hardcore Q faithful would vote for him. None of them will believe that he was Q (and in fairness, he likely has only been Q since they moved from 8chan to 8kun), but they will believe that he is at least in contact with whoever Q is supposed to be. Otherwise, as someone mentioned, he's a black hole of charisma who never put any points into that stat.

How do you define punching down in Dave's case? What IS punching down? He talked about that in his show too.

Like I said, our culture has changed, more so than Dave IMHO. We rely more on the friends within our safety bubble and become quick to reject assholes in the other bubble...

For me personally, I think I'm very used to being a transient in various bubbles. Never really felt at home anywhere until I found the Jesus bubble! Seriously... even before all this political polarization in the US... I've always feel like an outsider and getting pretty used to it. My parents were born in China... so to the Taiwanese, I'm considered an outsider, not really Taiwanese, although I was born there. Now in America, am I really American? Not really. Now, does people like YW think I'm really Chinese? Unlikely. Anyway, point is I've learned to care less about what other people think. It's my life, not other people's.

I'm just curious to know what YOU think about Dave Chappelle. If you never liked him to begin with, sure, don't waste time watching his specials. However, if you really think he has changed for the worse, I'd like to know your reasons why.

There are definitely more crazies on the right, but since we don't have much right wingers here... can't really talk to them about those things. Cancel culture is good for people like Harvey Weinstein, but I really think it's getting a bit crazy out of control... on the left side...
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; October 15th, 2021 at 09:38 AM.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_SS View Post
    That's not WV......
    Didn't I say I didn't need any proof?

It's a weird map, I think it's missing a couple of states.
    acket.

Washington Post article on "The Great Resignation": https://wapo.st/3aBkIRF

It jibes at least partially with what I'm hearing anecdotally - a lot of people who a year ago were "essential workers" not being treated like they're essential. I'm also interested to see if vaccine mandates from some companies might have the opposite effect of what's feared, United said they received over 20,000 applications for 2,000 open spots after announcing they were going to mandate vaccinations. It would follow what I've heard from some friends in New York - the bars got more crowded after they started requiring vaccines because now people felt safer going to them.

I just saw that United Airlines say that of their >67,000 employees, 232 have refused to get vaccinated and are undergoing "the termination process," so it sounds like United at least will weather that.
    Here's an article that addressed the 'unvaccinated' more directly:
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/unvaccina...120724338.html

I'm still not so sure if Biden's mandate will work or might cause another greater resignation, but I totally agree with this author's approach to get more Americans vaccinated.

acket.

is this the week when pompous idiots try to convince others of how smart they aren't?

acket.

Any idea why FCC board is still one short?

I read a tweet that said "an entire generation is growing up thinking that being contrarian is the same as being intellectual" and I said to myself "I recognize him!!! I know that dude."