Page 2123 of 2481 FirstFirst ... 1123162320232073211321212122212321242125213321732223 ... LastLast
Results 21,221 to 21,230 of 24808

Thread: Politics

I was wondering why Supreme court issue was a surprise, since there should have been a case that raised this issue. Ah - its a Mississippi case about the ban of abortions after 15 weeks.
    The whole State v Federal rights is a big issue. You get problems like this when the Federal govt can't pass a law allowing abortions and it becomes a state issue.
    Sorry but the US system is very messed up and complicated. Australia gets similar issues with multi level govt - we have had it suggested to remove state govt, but that's easier for us with just a handful of states.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    We have had very conservative seats lost to moderate rightish independents eg Zali beating the former Prime Minister Tony Abbott.
    This election this trend may spread.

These seats are very conservative by percentage but generally quite moderate politically. They wouldn't go left but can fall to a moderate independent.

The problem for the parties is that individual candidates need to toe the party line, so its hard being more moderate that your party.
    I am watching and waiting with excitement to see how the teal independent movement goes. They might well be the wrecking ball that causes the Liberal Party to die in a fire, especially in Frydenberg’s seat

For those unaware, the ‘teal’ independents are those who are economically conservative but want action on climate change, whilst the Liberal Party is also economically conservative but very much want to continue the current fossil fuels-based economy. So that’s blue politics (our right wing is blue) mixed with green politics, hence the teal moniker.

I’m not sure who’s organised it, but there’s funding to the tune of $200-ish million bucks being provided to them for electioneering so they’ve all banded under a loosely unified group while still not being an official party.

If they end up holding balance of power, the likelihood is that they’ll allow the Liberals to form minority government but block any energy policies that aren’t made with the environment in mind.

lol man, hilarious, people actually still like the Republicans? lololollllllllllllllllllllll

Junior Potato
    Hot off the “things that are so old that they aren’t news anymore” desk:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/oan-fi...uit?ref=scroll

Senate bill to protect women's health fails: yes, 49. No, 51.

All Republican+ Manchin vote best

Progressives "deMocr4ts don't d0 anYth!ng ..."

Um. Maybe go vote for the purple who voted to protect women's health versus the people trying to take away women's rights. Also wanting to boycott and encouraging others to boycott voting LITERALLY doesn't do anything to help.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    How can the pharmaceutical industry finance anti-Roe legislators?

It puts its business in jeopardy.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    Senate bill to protect women's health fails: yes, 49. No, 51.

All Republican+ Manchin vote best

Progressives "deMocr4ts don't d0 anYth!ng ..."

Um. Maybe go vote for the purple who voted to protect women's health versus the people trying to take away women's rights. Also wanting to boycott and encouraging others to boycott voting LITERALLY doesn't do anything to help.
    Anyway, democrats don’t do anything because they have members like Manchin. It’s really mind boggling why Manchin is a democrat.

Our last hope is probably Chief Justice swaying one of the conservative Justices to switch sides…

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Is the murder of Shireen Abu Akleh getting any coverage in MSM?

I think she also held American citizenship.
    acket.

Administrator
    It is. I've seen a ton of stories about it today.

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    lol man, hilarious, people actually still like the Republicans? lololollllllllllllllllllllll
    Republicans lead in the generic ballot

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...eneric-ballot/

Also, Trump has a higher favorability rating than Biden has approval rating.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com.../donald-trump/

Democrats are *incredibly* unpopular right now, because of inflation, gas prices, etc and made up wedge issues like "CRT"

Combine that with the fact that Republicans have an advantage due to how our systems are set up (link below), there's not a whole lot of hope for the Democratic party in the near future, imo.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/advantage-gop/