Page 44 of 2474 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654941445441044 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by LHutton View Post
    Her Majesty's
    a pretty nice girl
    But she doesn't have a lot to say

You should come back when you're sober.

You could also not come back, that would be pretty okay too.

Well you can take that position, it is your right, but I believe, and in fact know that both the federal government and Her Majesty's Government were racist and homophobic douche snakes in the mid-20th century. Now, in the case of Clive Bundy, they wish to blame him for believing their crap. And there is some blame there but it multiplies and reflects back to its true owner.
    Dude was three in the "mid 20th century." His formative years were the 60s, amidst clear government rejection of racism and clear support of racial equality. Sure, maybe his parents were "government brainwashed bigots" (if such a thing actually exists), but if you suggest he is because they were and that is understandable, then what you're also saying is that everyone can be excused for acting like an asshat because at some point in the past some family member was exposed to ideas that are now unacceptable but were passed down anyway.

Taimar hit the nail on the head on the last page - Bundy is a stereotypical neo militia type who is fully indoctrinated into an entire manifesto of bullshit punctuated with racism with self-sovereignity. Neither his age nor his geographical history has anything to do with anything. This guy has bought into a whole set of ideals that have been fringey for somewhere between 50 and 250 years and totally symptomatic of someone a drumstick short of a meal deal.
    Last edited by thesameguy; April 25th, 2014 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiat500 View Post
    a pretty nice girl
    But she doesn't have a lot to say
    Just the way I like 'em.

Now leaving until sober.

To even ask for a citation is to ignore history on scale comparable to holocaust denial.
    Really?

I mean really, what was MLK so hot under the collar about even???

The 1950s: these years represent the height of black segregation in the United States of America. It signifies a time when black and white Americans were detached from one another. These years symbolize a moment when interactions among the races appeared morally corrupt. Also, America desperately tries to suppress these years behind the pages of its embarrassing history. How could these incidents happen? Why did they happen? Should America blame those who were too ignorant to overcome their differences for this oppression? Or are the citizens', too blind to see raw aggression and hatred blurred their sights of morality, to blame? As a society who has overcome the dreaded days of hate, avoidance of pinning certain groups as the problem of this hidden mess in our history is essential. America suffered separation due to hate, ignorance, and the lack of confrontation. This decade in American history must always burn in the back of every American's mind. Unified America must acknowledge the faults of a country and a government so such unfortunate moments may never occur again. Unification and acknowledgment of a whole society prevent a separation from ever repeating itself.
    Essaypedia? Who wrote this? Where does it come from? Again, it has no specifics. It's also terrible writing, so I wouldn't use that if you ever want to make a presentation on this.

But if you would like to talk about the 1950's and segregated America, I'm happy to talk about it - but only when we're dealing with actual knowable things.

For one thing - segregation was not the policy of the Federal Government in the 1950s. The only formally segregated part of the Federal Government was the Armed Services - which President Truman ordered desegregated in 1948. That doesn't mean, however, that all was rosy in the Federal Government and that people of color were somehow on equal footing. They weren't. People of color still had a very hard time advancing even in civil service jobs back then. But that doesn't equate to the government putting out propaganda encouraging racism.

The most obvious example of tacit racism in the activities of the Federal Government during this time comes not from any media office but from the Home Owner's Loan Corporation - a federal program developed to encourage home ownership and stimulate building during the depression which carried over into the suburban 1940s and 1950s. Prior to HOLC, many communities in northern urban centers were heavily integrated. These communities had little choice - with little housing stock built since the 1920s and many old buildings from the 19th century being the only housing options in dense urban areas like New York and Chicago, race was less of a factor in where people chose to live (it was still a factor, but not as much as it became). HOLC is the originator of redlining, and the actions of the individuals administering the loans and programs at HOLC often led to the ghettoization of minority communities, who's remaining integration was destroyed by urban renewal in the 1950s and 1960s, largely at the behest of White-owned business interests. The ghettos that this created are, in some ways, still with us now.

HOLC had little to do with rural areas, which were heavily segregated at that time.

Institutional Racism on a state level was rampant in the South and to a lesser extent the midwest and Western States. In the 1920s, and this might surprise some people, the KKK's largest stronghold was Indiana. But at that time Indiana was changing due to the great migration, and by the 1930s the KKK's power there had waned considerably. In 1949, Indiana began doing away with segregation by passing new laws to overturn old statutes - many of which dated to the 19th century. By 1956, Indiana was no longer a formally segregated state. Federal intervention was not required - no riots, no fire hoses, no troops. Does that mean that everything was perfect and there was no racial tension? No. But it isn't exactly the "zenith of segregation" either.

And all this still doesn't equate to the government somehow brainwashing people into being racists.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Holocaust denial and Taimar, yes that could be the title of this summer's blockbuster. It clearly sounds like an "epic adventure" that'll "blow your mind away". I knew it from the moment I saw it. I guess the only thing missing in regards to who proposed it is, "from his generation's finest actor".

Z07 is a complete waste of time.
    Last edited by FaultyMario; April 25th, 2014 at 03:01 PM.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Holocaust denial and Taimar
    I lol'd.
    Whoomah!

Wanna Fight?
    Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Z07 is a complete waste of time.
    Ain't that the truth.

Without being funny, Taimar's post seems to have acknowledged institutional racism in the 1950s, which was precisely my point all along. Even after completely open racism died, subtle racism persisted for some time, as demonstrated by the Los Angeles riots. I don't think I'm saying anything hysterical here, it's just inconvenient that I'm demonstrating Bundy to be a product of his accuser's past works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_..._United_States

De jure segregation, sanctioned or enforced by force of law, was stopped in the United States by federal enforcement of a series of Supreme Court decisions after Brown v. Board of Education in 1954. Its elimination lasted through much of the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s, while civil rights demonstrations resulted in public opinion turning against enforced segregation. De facto segregation — segregation "in fact", without sanction of law — persists in varying degrees to the present day. The contemporary racial segregation seen in the United States in residential neighborhoods has been shaped by public policies, mortgage discrimination, and redlining, among other factors.
    Last edited by LHutton; April 25th, 2014 at 03:28 PM.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I know. Everything you've said has been completely spot on. It's just that good argumentation has difficulties dealing with my hypocrisy.

or your Dissociative Identity Disorder, I forget which.
    acket.

I'm sorry if you disagree but society didn't really start to get on top of racism and the KKK until around the time of Ghostbusters.