Page 503 of 2478 FirstFirst ... 340345349350150250350450551355360310031503 ... LastLast
Results 5,021 to 5,030 of 24779

Thread: Politics

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    Matt Damon channeling his friend Howard Zinn:

Last edited by overpowered; May 17th, 2016 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by overpowered View Post
    Elon Musk Just Exposed Billions in Corrupt Pentagon Spending to Weapons Monopoly. Here's How:

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/elo...apon-monopoly/
    There were lots of issues going on which resulted in this ULA monopoly.

In a nutshell, US government needs to launch things, but there aren't a lot of launches out there so that both rockets can survive financially. There's also a scandal involved stealing of sensitive data on Boeing's part. Kinda like McLaren stole Ferrari data. Boeing team needs to be punished by not give Boeing the contract, but that'd mean certain doom to Boeing's rocket business. But government doesn't want to lose all the experiences... so basically the rocket division is carved out of Boeing. Rather than giving it to Lockheed, I guess govt decided to form a new company called ULA. This all happen before SpaceX BTW.

If SpaceX is proven to provide reliable and inexpensive launches, surely Pentagon wouldn't mind giving SpaceX all of its business..., but then, SpaceX would become to new darling and monoploy of the space launch business!

Defense spending is really tough. Should govt artificially keep ULA alive just so that SpaceX can have competition? Or should govt just save money and give it all to SpaceX... which will end up giving monoply to SpaceX? What to do? I have no answer.

But I'm rooting for Musk all the way.

I suggest having open competition between SpaceX and ULA. Presumably as the workload for one rises, their ability to meet scheduling and financial targets in future projects will struggle, so the other company can win those projects.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Elon Musk Just Exposed Billions in Corrupt Pentagon Spending to Weapons Monopoly. Here's How:

Wow, so ULA is almost single-handedly responsible for the whole US deficit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    I suggest having open competition between SpaceX and ULA. Presumably as the workload for one rises, their ability to meet scheduling and financial targets in future projects will struggle, so the other company can win those projects.
    How have the Free-Market people not jumped all over this before?!?

Oh yeah... Because they don't really care about the free market at all. They care about corporate profits above all. Sorry, I forgot.

When the market is not mature enough, free market doesn't work. Defense related projects are also subjected to a LOT of restrictions which makes things even harder.

There aren't a whole lot of customers in need of space launches. Further, when you're launching a top secret spy satellite, hiring the cheaper Russians or Chinese won't be an option.

Should the government continue to spend the money to maintain such capability/personell... or just let them go and let the capability die... and perhaps risk other foreign nations luring them over with big bucks?

Anyway, free market doesn't quite work for defense and space related stuff... I'm not sure what happened though... it used to work... when we had an evil empire to fight the bogus cold war with!

We used to have Lockheed, Martin Marietta, Northrop, Grumman, Boeing, McDonnell, Douglas, Rockwell, North American, Hughes..., but now we just have: Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, and Boeing(Who didn't even bother attaching any of the other company names that it absorbed!)

As the cost of these services rise and shrinking defense budget, all of these companies just cannot survive... so mergers are needed to consolidate the capabilities... and you often end up with monopoly like situations, which further increase cost to the government/project... which resulted in less money floating around... which result in further consolidations and the vicious cycle continues.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; May 17th, 2016 at 12:31 PM.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...rump/84529180/

This U.S. Muslim leader wants you to vote for Trump

how many successful launches has Space X had so far?

How many unsuccessful launches have they had?

https://us.yahoo.com/news/george-zim...023434880.html

George Zimmerman insults Trayvon Martin's parents in an explosive new interview

Despite the overwhelmingly negative attention and fake listings the auction has garnered — including a $65 million bid from a user named "Racist McShootface" — Zimmerman says he has a firm offer with verified assets for $100,000.