Page 528 of 2481 FirstFirst ... 2842847851852652752852953053857862810281528 ... LastLast
Results 5,271 to 5,280 of 24806

Thread: Politics

Well some of your voting machines are a little questionable. Hence the discrepancies with exit polls. Maybe democracy is just an illusion to pacify the masses.

Yep. I'm a Bernie hardliner but I will vote for Shillary instead of Trump -- just like my corporate overlords want me to.

(Hardest part is having to "celebrate" with Shillary-loving friends! )

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    Yep. I'm a Bernie hardliner but I will vote for Shillary instead of Trump -- just like my corporate overlords want me to.

(Hardest part is having to "celebrate" with Shillary-loving friends! )
    But think of it this way...with this much campaign "insurgency" this year, imagine how it will be in 4 years or 8 years...IMO things are going to get more crazy than less, unless government actually does some real change (and unless congress gets a massive overhaul, very unlikely)

Edit: I think we'll 3 or 4 parties in the next big election cycle, or several independent runners...the era of 2 parties controlling everything may be ending.
    Last edited by MR2 Fan; June 8th, 2016 at 07:15 AM.

It is kinda odd to have preelection polls slowing dead heat... High registration and turnouts ... Yet all to Clinton's favor? Really? She's really that energizing?

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    Hillary dropped to 55.8%, but that's still a strong win.

She now has 54% of pledged delegates. She increased her lead in pledged delegates yesterday by 89 with almost all of that coming from California and New Jersey.

The only primary left is D.C., which has an astounding 20 delegates and 26 super delegates (WTF?).

Bernie needs 580 more delegates to win, which would mean having a whole lot of super delegates switch from Hillary to Bernie, which isn't happening. 80% have already declared for her.

In most states, Bernie seemed to beat pre-election polling, but in California, it was pretty close to correct.
    Last edited by overpowered; June 8th, 2016 at 08:47 AM.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    Trump took 75.3% in California, with Kasich and Cruz taking most of the rest.

A San Diego Union Tribune editorial urged Republicans to write in Ronald Reagan. It will be weeks before they can count all the write-ins. I wonder if many did?
    Last edited by overpowered; June 8th, 2016 at 08:51 AM.

Dan Carlin made that point a little while ago on his podcast--never mind this election, which (jesus fucking wept I hope) Hillary wins, since Bernie won't get the nomination.... What about the next election? That's the point where maybe, just MAAAAAAAAAYBE, the public will realize that the candidate they WANT to run literally is not picked by them, and that, as much as you may dislike Bernie OR Drumph, they both exposed bullshit 2-party politics. I'd lay good odds someone might finally become a viable 3rd-party candidate next time.

I dunno, I can't believe the high voter registration and turnout is all due to the feminists coming out for Hillary.

Another personal note with regard to my voting experience... is that I only punched a single hole for Bernie and not voted for anything else. Partly because I haven't really done my research with all those other offices and partly because I took my 4yr old with me and didn't want to take too long...

When I turned in my ballot, they send it thru some sort of pre-check machine? Anyway, my ballot got rejected. Originally the volunteer there said I didn't make any selections... I said, what you talking about Willis? I voted for Bernie! Then he said, you need to make more selections. So I went back and hesitantly voted for a guy who was running unopposed... and another office with just a single democrat candidate...

Only then my ballot was accepted.

In retrospect, maybe my Bernie vote was just invisible.

Anyway, it's just very difficult for voters to engage in US politics.

Only chance for me to vote Hillary is to have Sanders as VP.

Otherwise, I'll engage with Trump! (I'll just not vote if Trump continues to refuse to show me his taxes!)
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; June 8th, 2016 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tigeraid View Post
    I'd lay good odds someone might finally become a viable 3rd-party candidate next time.
    3rd party candidates won't get the time of day with the 'established' media.

Trump has been a master who worked the system to his advantage. We can expect to see more bozos like him in the future exploiting the current system.

With regard to Bernie, he just slightly exposed the reaches of the 'establishment's' grip on the liberal side. I think it's now obvious Americans don't mind bad hair, but perhaps Sander's age and religious views held him back. He's already a pretty vibrant person at such old age, but if he were younger and a Christian... or at least some sort of God fearing person, he'll probably do better. (Anyway, I'm assuming the election's not rigged here..., but who knows... I totally wouldn't be surprised to later on learn that my vote wasn't counted.)

I would bet money on the 2016 election changing future elections for the worse, not better. Trump exposed holes in the GOP that they will quickly plug and guard much more intensely. They were not expecting Trump to go as far as he did as quickly. Next time, they'll start the smear machine that much earlier. Cast doubt on his credibility, rig more systems to make it harder for the new guy, etc. They won't let an outsider do that much damage ever again. I think in '15 Hillary was sure she was a shoo in as there were no credible threats in the eight years prior. Bernie came out of left field and made a good run with almost no corporate connections. Unless there is serious money-in-Washington reform nobody is ever going to get further than he did. You can bet big business was quaking with every little victory he had. I suspect that many Americans - even if it's not most - asking for change put the fear in them. They'll work harder next time to ensure whoever gets the baton is less threatened. Hillary has everything to lose from changing how the system works, so best case nothing changes. Worst case, it gets worse for the outsider next time.