Page 587 of 2478 FirstFirst ... 8748753757758558658758858959763768710871587 ... LastLast
Results 5,861 to 5,870 of 24776

Thread: Politics

Federal Appeals Court Strikes Down The Worst Voter Suppression Law In The Nation

"It’s hard not to come away with the conclusion that North Carolina’s lawmakers wanted to get caught engaging in unlawfully racial discrimination."

Before enacting that law, moreover, “the legislature requested data on the use, by race, of a number of voting practices.” After receiving that data, “the General Assembly enacted legislation that restricted voting and registration in five different ways, all of which disproportionately affected African Americans.” Indeed, this data appears to have guided the state’s lawmakers in drafting a law that would have maximal impact on African-Americans.
    The law did not simply contain a voter ID provision. Rather “the legislature amended the bill to exclude many of the alternative photo IDs used by African Americans” while simultaneously retaining “only the kinds of IDs that white North Carolinians were more likely to possess.” (Although, in fairness, this provision was later watered down.)
    The legislature’s data on racial voting patterns showed that “African Americans disproportionately used the first seven days of early voting,” and so “the General Assembly amended the bill to eliminate the first week of early voting.” The data showed that “African American voters disproportionately used [same-day registration] when it was available,” and so same-day registration was cut as well. The law also eliminated out-of-precinct voting, which “required the Board of Elections in each county to count the provisional ballot of an Election Day voter who appeared at the wrong precinct, but in the correct county, for all of the ballot items for which the voter was eligible to vote.” African-Americans, meanwhile, were especially likely to take advantage of this practice.

That's awful and I'm glad it's been struck down. Will anyone actually be held accountable though?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
    That's awful and I'm glad it's been struck down. Will anyone actually be held accountable though?
    Never. No- one is held accountable for denying blacks their civil rights or even their right to life.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    Trump claims to have helped build the Vietnam War Memorial.

Not really.

http://www.politicususa.com/2016/07/...-memorial.html

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/30/1233292...mp-khan-muslim
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...856_story.html

"Now that he's trolling bereaved military families, is Trump going to officially join the Westboro Baptist Church?" -- Andy Borowitz

The Path to Prosperity Is Blue

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/31/op...y-is-blue.html

Trickle down economics does not work.

My wife, a liberal Democrat, brought up an interesting idea after the Democratic convention finally ended the other night. And yes, both Obamas really can give one hell of a speech. And so can Slick Willie, although I confess that when I see him, I'm seeing SNL actors spoofing him in my mind at the same time, since he still has so many of the same mannerisms they made good fun of back then.

Anyway, remember when Trump first started and people thought perhaps he was just being a spoiler to help Hillary win? My wife brought up the idea that he still might be doing that. How else can any reasonable person explain the crazy shit he says, day after day, week after week, month after month?

The only good thing I can say about Trump is hopefully his candidacy will be the downfall of the Republican party and pave the way for some new, vibrant, young party with a small-government, balanced-budget platform to come along, and let not the religious zealots and gun nuts glom on to them as they did with the Tea Party, which looked promising for about ten minutes a long time ago.

Trump Sick And Tired Of Mainstream Media Always Trying To Put His Words Into Some Sort Of Context

http://www.theonion.com/article/trum...ys-tryin-53375

(he really is, even though this is the Onion)

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Anyway, remember when Trump first started and people thought perhaps he was just being a spoiler to help Hillary win? My wife brought up the idea that he still might be doing that. How else can any reasonable person explain the crazy shit he says, day after day, week after week, month after month?.
    Because Trump knows that in a popularity contest being talked about is more important than being correct.