Page 60 of 2474 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162701101605601060 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics

How sad is this comment.

Loyal fans of the hit HBO show “Veep” turn to the Beltway-based satire first and foremost for the sharp laughs it delivers at Washington’s expense. But the show’s creator and executive producer Armando Iannucci said the show’s success is also built in part upon the fact that it hits at certain truths about the ridiculousness of real-life Washington.

With the show’s lovable but gaffe-prone Vice President Selina Meyer, played by Julia Louis-Dreyfus, now vying to make the jump from VP to commander-in-chief in the third season, Iannucci said the sky’s the limit when it comes to making the silliness of the show conceivable to its Beltway fans. “It's interesting, no matter, how mad and how hard we push it into the ridiculous, someone from D.C. will tell us something far worse actually happened, so now it's sort of a challenge to try to beat reality—so that means anything can happen,” Iannucci told “Top Line” in a recent interview.

Thumbs up Who believes this shit?

Do you think that they intentionally try to lie? Or are they just that dumb?
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCain
    Sen. John McCain (R-AZ), told CNN’s “State of the Union” anchor Candy Crowley that he “wouldn't release these [five Guantanamo Bay]” detainees to secure the release of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.
    What’s more, just a few months ago, McCain personally endorsed the plan to transfer these exact same Taliban prisoners. When he says he wouldn’t have completed the swap for “these men,” he’s neglecting to mention that he’d already expressed public support for swapping “these men.”

Not to mention that prisoners were also released for the return of McCain himself.

Quote Originally Posted by John Boehner
    U.S. House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner said the Obama administration has made Americans "less safe" by releasing five Taliban prisoners in exchange for the freedom of Army Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl.
    Between 2007 and 2009, President George W. Bush released 520 detainees from the facility at Guantanamo Bay – at least that’s how many are officially recorded. One of those detainees was Abu Sufian bin Qumu, who is a suspect in the Benghazi embassy attack.

And at the same time the current headlines read:
    *Police in Oregon say a shooter is dead after responding to reports of shots fired at a high school outside of Portland. The Multnomah County Sheriff's Office said in a statement that the situation is stabilized at Reynolds High School in Troutdale.
    *Two Cops, Three Others Killed in Las Vegas Shooting Spree. Rampaging Las Vegas Couple 'Too Radical' For Bundy Ranch. Vegas police killer decried government on YouTube videos

Soooo... 5 prisoners getting release all of a sudden makes us unsafe? When over 500 have already been released? Not to mention that there haven't been nearly as many terrorist attacks in the US. Certainly not as many as compared to what our own gun-toting crazies do. And the only reason that many Americans are dying over-seas is because we're in a war that we never should have been in, in the first place.

They don't really care if you don't believe just as long as their constituents believe.

Forget about what those lying bastards said for a moment.

What do you think of what Obama did? Do you think he did the right thing for the right reasons in a proper way?

If you really think Obama did great, it doesn't matter what those bastards said.

If you agree Obama screwed up a bit, then just take it as constructive criticism. Hopefully Obama will do better next time.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; June 10th, 2014 at 09:50 AM.

If everyone knew everything it would be okay to take a position and stick to it. But we don't, so it's fairly normal for one person to change his mind. I'm down with that. What I'm not down with is obscuring details during the process, whether by omission or by calling attention to other peoples' misdeeds while covering your similar or identical ones.

This is one area where resources like Wikipedia hold the promise to affect change, because they are essentially realtime and allow the population to really take a look at somebody's track record. Yeah, there will certainly be bias and it doesn't completely eliminate the opportunities for coverups and misdirection, but compared to where we've been - where anything a public figure says is totally temporal and has no context - it's a huge improvement. I don't think these resources are widely used in this way - we still have a really old population - but just in time learning is something younger folks are getting better and better at daily, and IMHO they truly hold the promise for real change. It'll take time for voters to adapt to this new type of information flow and probably even more time for politicians to understand that everything they say will be taken in context and across time, but I have high hopes we'll get there. Consider how relatively recently it's been true that what someone says in California will be compared against what they said in Washington! That wasn't always the case...

I agree. I don't think it's okay that Obama did it merely because Bush did it. I find it extremely misleading to say that NOW WE'RE IN DANGER because these 5 were released, when over 500 have already been released (no matter who released them). And with much more real threats locally, like gun violence, that effects many people (almost every day).

I don't know how I feel about the 1 American vs 5 terrorist release, honestly. I do think we should try to protect our own. However, if there's a clear idication that in bringing this one home, dozens or hundreds of people could get hurt by the acts of the people we release, it should be weighed and decided on cohesively. I've read some reports that they would have to be let go soon anyway. Not sure if that's true or not.

This is some fucked up shit: I have real doubts that putting 505 terrorists in jail is any different from putting five in jail. Drops in the bucket. Would America crumble if the president was in jail? What about the entirety of Congress? Fuck no, some other douchebags would step forward and yet some other douchebags would elect them and everything would continue on. The only way to stop an activity is to stop the thinking behind the activity, not jail the people engaged in it. We have drug problems because people like to do drugs. We have terror problems because people like to be terrorists. We have crime problems because as often than not doing something against the law is easier than complying. The only way to stop these things is to get people to stop liking drugs, stop liking JIHAD HOLY WAR, and stop liking to do things the easy way. While I certainly can't argue that nabbing leaders and figureheads can be big setbacks, will buy some time, and will save some problems in the short term, Terror Cell A isn't going to say, "Shit, they got Tim, let's go back to school and get degrees in medical office management."

So I say let's trade prisoners and at least win a battle where there's a clear victory - getting a citizen back to his country and family. That's something to feel good about. We don't need terrorists clogging up our jails anyway. We should be saving them for drug dealers.

Aside from the acts which the released detainees may or may not commit, the real problem is that you've encouraged the taking of US and Allied military personnel as hostages. There's now an exchange-rate set up. One hostage equals 5 detainees released. Maybe next time they'll hold out for 6. So in getting this citizen back to his family and country you've increased the chance that other citizens will be separated from family and country.
    Last edited by LHutton; June 10th, 2014 at 02:00 PM.

That is potentially true, but not certainly true. Maybe you've encouraged the taking of hostages - but would not exchanging them guarantee no further hostages were taken? Nope. The whole "we do not negotiate with terrorists" isn't true now and has never been true, and everyone knows it. Everything is a negotiation, up to and including the exchange of prisoners.

Related:

http://news.yahoo.com/perry-discusse...-politics.html

He said: "I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that, and I look at the homosexual issue the same way."