Page 64 of 2481 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566741141645641064 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics

Another unsurprising, and stupid result from the Supreme Court

Quote Originally Posted by From Ginsberg's dissent
    "Would the exemption…extend to employers with religiously grounded objections to blood transfusions (Jehovah's Witnesses); antidepressants (Scientologists); medications derived from pigs, including anesthesia, intravenous fluids, and pills coated with gelatin (certain Muslims, Jews, and Hindus); and vaccinations[?]…Not much help there for the lower courts bound by today's decision."

"Approving some religious claims while deeming others unworthy of accommodation could be 'perceived as favoring one religion over another,' the very 'risk the [Constitution's] Establishment Clause was designed to preclude."

"The court, I fear, has ventured into a minefield."

yup.

Yeah, even as a religious person, I find supreme courts decision surprising.

Why should a corporation be allowed to infringed upon the religious freedom rights of its employees?

But hopefully Obamacare would solve this particular issue. Our employers really shouldn't also be our medical provider. They shouldn't dictate how we should receive medical care... nor should we lose our medical care when we lose our jobs.

Ideally we should be able to afford to buy our own insurance... and allow govt to subsidize for the poor and perhaps companies can give us additional benefits(or just give us higher pay so that we can pay for our own damn insurance), then problem solved.

But medical insurance aside, I disagree with the court's ruling that employer religious belief trumps employees' religious belief. Isn't it the govt's job to protect the rights of the weak/poor? I know govt shouldn't force companies to do stuff, but likewise, companies shouldn't force workers to do stuffs either. Perhaps Supreme court just lost sight of the individual people since it only sees this as the big government picking on a relatively small company? It is kinda wrong to force a company owner to provide something that he believes is morally wrong, still, I think it's more wrong to allow the boss to force his religious belief onto his employees too.

Anyway, for now I guess the easiest fix is just to let taxpayers pick up the bill for birth control. Hopefully eventually, we can all choose the kind of medical insurance we want by buying our own insurance.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; July 2nd, 2014 at 06:58 AM.

Germany - the latest member on the US axis of evil watch list.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ng-for-US.html

German agent arrested for spying for US

The dude was spying for the US, not on the US. Maybe.

I think it's delusional to think everyone isn't spying on everyone all the time. Especially "us" - we spy on "you" all the time. Snowden was fairly reasonable proof of that. The only surprise here is that dude got caught red-handed.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar

Extremists are all the same.

It's even more of a fail because she hung the flag backwards.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar

There are no drugs on Mars either.
    Last edited by LHutton; July 10th, 2014 at 12:19 AM.