Page 728 of 2474 FirstFirst ... 22862867871872672772872973073877882812281728 ... LastLast
Results 7,271 to 7,280 of 24733

Thread: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Anyway, point is whether if you're pro or against gay marriage, it has little to do with banking... Or whether a person would be a good leader or not.
    That's not how these "groups" see it.

Take abortion rights for example, no healthy souls are really so pro-life that he's willing to give up free-will... And nobody with a reasonable mind is really so pro-choice that he's willing to kill for it. It is stupid to pick a stance as if the other side is just absolutely wrong.
    In some cases it is. People who believe being gay will cause the Earth to literally erupt in fire are absolutely wrong. People who believe someone with a different color skin is automatically a lesser person are wrong. Like YW said, you need to look at WHY they believe the things they believe. But yes, most issues do have a lot of gray area. This is a surprising issue for you to bring up, considering how often you refuse to accept middle ground.

Anyway, point is whether if you're pro or against gay marriage, it has little to do with banking... Or whether a person would be a good leader or not.
    I absolutely believe it does. If you see a certain type of person as less of a person because of this, you are not someone that should be in charge. Sure you may be great for the economy, but I don't care. Find someone who can do both.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    yup, current politics is the binarisation of multidimensional societies.
    acket.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    That's awesome with a capital fuckin A

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    In some cases it is. People who believe being gay will cause the Earth to literally erupt in fire are absolutely wrong. People who believe someone with a different color skin is automatically a lesser person are wrong. Like YW said, you need to look at WHY they believe the things they believe. But yes, most issues do have a lot of gray area. This is a surprising issue for you to bring up, considering how often you refuse to accept middle ground.
    It's only surprising to you because you think of me as less of a person due to my religious belief. Point is that these issues have no absolute right or wrongs... and are often false dichotomies. God clearly is pro-life AND pro-choice, that's why He created a Tree of life and Tree of knowledge. Likewise, accepting Jesus is pro-eternal life, but one has to make a choice on that... not forced upon folks. There's really no middle ground for this... we can't really settle for half a life and half a choice. Life in this world just has consequences due to the various choices we make. I do believe most Christians do have good intentions and want people to make the right choices if you can see them that way..., rather than seeing Christians as hateful backwards nutty sub-humans. Sure, there are the Westboro Baptists, but I'm pretty sure those are not mainstream Christians. Anyway, good intentions aside, I do believe it's stupid for government to help "guide us" on making moral choices. If we live in a free country, then let us make our own choices. Absolutely no need to limit our choices. As for protecting marriage and unwillingness to alter the meaning of 'marriage'..., I do agree Christians ought to just lighten up. Jesus did say there'll be no marriages in heaven. Plus, people really ought to just protect their own marriages... makes sure your own is full of love and won't end in divorce.

Anyway, I don't believe God is an Oppressor and wish His follower to be oppressive. Believers can often misinterpret things, but in the end, I don't believe God would allow it to go on and on... and if you just refuse to believe in God, that's cool too. Bear in mind that slavery, women and gays being treated poorly is not something exclusive to Christian regions. It's a global thing spanning even before Christ's arrival. As our standard of living... as our 'economies' improve, all of these things will gradually become better and better. When most of humanity was worrying about their next meal, who has time to care about rights, right?

I absolutely believe it does. If you see a certain type of person as less of a person because of this, you are not someone that should be in charge. Sure you may be great for the economy, but I don't care. Find someone who can do both.
    Again, you are also simply seeing a candidate as less of a person simply because of this litmus test.

Of course in an ideal situation, 2 well qualified candidates and one is totally against gay marriage, I would go with the pro-gay-marriage candidate.

However, in a more 'realistic' setting, let's say the well qualified candidate is not very friendly to gays, but the not-so-well-qualified candidate is very pro-gay-marriage..., what then? Would you still go with that less qualified candidate simply because he's friendlier to gays?

Now, in the MOST realistic setting, we often end up with both candidates with questionable characters and only left with these 'litmus tests' to go on.

I think this is most likely why political affiliation of the governors really didn't matter much to a states' economy.

Because we are just electing bunch of bozos into offices based on these litmus tests.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; December 7th, 2016 at 10:09 AM.

Again, you are also simply seeing a candidate as less of a person simply because of this litmus test.
    Difference is that it is a mental choice, not a characteristic you were born with or have no/little choice about.

Saying "I don't trust people from China" is incredibly different from saying "I don't trust people that don't trust people from China." People from China don't get to choose that they are from China, and they can't do anything to change the fact that they were born in China. People that don't trust people from China are making the choice to not trust them and to act accordingly every time it comes up.

Similarly, saying that you generally don't vote for Republican or Democratic candidates, because they make the choice to support/defund social programs, support/reject gay rights, support/reject the trickle-down economics theory, support/reject climate change, is making a judgment based on a decision that the candidate is repeatedly making and acting on. They aren't born into their Democratic party with no ability to change it or their viewpoints.
    Last edited by Kchrpm; December 7th, 2016 at 10:17 AM.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    I'm directing this to Nick Spencer:

So true diplomacy is about being kissing up to China by openly ignoring Taiwan, but secretly selling Taiwan weapons?

Just as we all should all act politically correctly in front of people, but it's okay to secretly stab them in the back?

If China is really going to wage war against US because of a phone call or a tweet, then maybe it's time for WWIII.

Like I said, I side with Trump on this one.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity
    It's only surprising to you because you think of me as less of a person due to my religious belief.
    Whoa, nice deflection. I'm pretty sure it's surprising because that's what you generally do. I was actually considering barging in here and claiming full credit for getting you to see something with a little nuance, feeling super proud of myself after browbeating you over it so many times.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the way you've traditionally argued things is why it was surprising, not because of any judgment of you as a person over your religious beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Difference is that it is a mental choice, not a characteristic you were born with or have no/little choice about.

Saying "I don't trust people from China" is incredibly different from saying "I don't trust people that don't trust people from China." People from China don't get to choose that they are from China, and they can't do anything to change the fact that they were born in China. People that don't trust people from China are making the choice to not trust them and to act accordingly every time it comes up.
    I understand the difference, but what exactly is your point? Are you saying it's more acceptable to hate and deny the folks who are making 'wrong' choices? If that's what you're implying, then may I remind you that Christians are making the same wrong argument too because they think making the choice to abort a baby is wrong or marry into the same sex is wrong so they find is acceptable to deny those people the choice. This kind of thinking is what's getting people into the endless bicker mode. Anyway, if I missed your point, then nevermind.

Similarly, saying that you generally don't vote for Republican or Democratic candidates, because they make the choice to support/defund social programs, support/reject gay rights, support/reject the trickle-down economics theory, support/reject climate change, is making a judgment based on a decision that the candidate is repeatedly making and acting on. They aren't born into their Democratic party with no ability to change it or their viewpoints.
    People switch parties all the time. Nowadays, even if Michael Jackson was born black can become white. Genders can also flip too. Trump also flip flops all the time.

I do agree integrity is super important for a political candidate..., that's why I thought Bernie Sander is for sure the best candidate... probably EVER!

Anyway, I just don't think we should discriminate against people whether it's race, gender, sex orientation or even folks who seemingly made 'wrong' choices. People's inability to agree to disagree on various life choices end up causing a lot of our unnecessary polarization I think.