Page 748 of 2478 FirstFirst ... 24864869873874674774874975075879884812481748 ... LastLast
Results 7,471 to 7,480 of 24776

Thread: Politics

There's been lots of grumbling about Trump's administrative picks related to science, but Lawrence Krauss puts it nicely into perspective. For ME, this is where Trump affects potential long-term domestic policy. THESE are the truly scary long-term ramifications. Has there ever been a modern administration this anti-science? I don't think Bush's was.

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elemen...war-on-science

The first sign of Trump’s intention to spread lies about empirical reality, “1984”-style, was, of course, the appointment of Steve Bannon, the former executive chairman of the Breitbart News Network, as Trump’s “senior counselor and strategist.” This year, Breitbart hosted stories with titles such as “1001 Reasons Why Global Warming Is So Totally Over in 2016,” despite the fact that 2016 is now overwhelmingly on track to be the hottest year on record, beating 2015, which beat 2014, which beat 2013. Such stories do more than spread disinformation. Their purpose is the creation of an alternative reality—one in which scientific evidence is a sham—so that hyperbole and fearmongering can divide and conquer the public.

Bannon isn’t the only propagandist in the new Administration: Myron Ebell, who heads the transition team at the Environmental Protection Agency, is another. In the aughts, as a director at the Competitive Enterprise Institute, he worked to kill a cap-and-trade bill proposed by Senators John McCain and Joe Lieberman; in 2012, when the conservative American Enterprise Institute held a meeting about the economics of a possible carbon tax, he asked donors to defund it. It’s possible, of course, to oppose cap-and-trade or carbon taxes in good faith—and yet, in recent years, Ebell’s work has come to center on lies about science and scientists. Today, as the leader of the Cooler Heads Coalition, an anti-climate-science group, Ebell denies the veracity and methodology of science itself. He dismisses complex computer models that have been developed by hundreds of researchers by saying that they “don’t even pass the laugh test.” If Ebell’s methods seem similar to those used by the tobacco industry to deny the adverse health effects of smoking in the nineteen-nineties, that’s because he worked as a lobbyist for the tobacco industry.

Trump’s likely choice for Secretary of the Interior is another climate denier, Cathy McMorris Rodgers, a congresswoman from Washington State. McMorris Rodgers has made false statements about the scientific consensus on human-induced climate change; if confirmed, she would be able to further distort public perceptions on this issue by controlling how the U.S. Geological Survey and the National Park Service communicate to the public about climate change. McMorris Rodgers is a long-standing opponent of regulations on emission of greenhouse gases and an ardent advocate for the exploitation of public lands for fossil-fuel production.

Educators have various concerns about Betsy DeVos, Trump’s nominee for Secretary of Education—they object to her efforts to shield charter schools from government regulation, for example—but one issue stands above the rest: DeVos is a fundamentalist Christian with a long history of opposition to science. If her faith shapes her policies—and there is evidence that it will—she could shape science education decisively for the worse, by systematically depriving young people, in an era where biotechnology will play a key economic and health role worldwide, of a proper understanding of the very basis of modern biology: evolution.

Along with her husband, DeVos is an active member of the Christian Reformed Church in North America, a small Protestant denomination with the stated belief that “all scientific theories be subject to Scripture.” According to the church’s official statement on science, “Humanity is created in the image of God; all theorizing that minimizes this fact and all theories of evolution that deny the creative activity of God are rejected.” DeVos attended Calvin College, which is owned and operated by the Christian Reformed Church. She majored in business administration and political science. (She does not have a degree in education.)
    Last edited by tigeraid; December 20th, 2016 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikadyn View Post
    Interesting video. So Rikadyn, are you an anarchist?

Video has some truths in it, but I just can't fully agree with it. Using one of the the video's analogy, river as power and dams as authority... I just don't believe dams are all bad without any benefits..., even mother nature grants beavers authority to build dams, right? So I do think proper amount of authority can be good, main issue is that often times too much power can easily corrupt human authorities. However, prior to becoming corrupted, an institution could still do a lot of good for people...

“Combining” of all one’s metadata could be even more dangerous than what the government has already done (if it’s not doing this secretly already). Coordinating individuals’ metadata into government databases means virtually anything we do—what we read, where we shop, who our doctor is, who we chat with online, who we call on the phone, who we date—becomes government info.
    Watch the ensuing hilarity when your enemies get into the database.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    So, after his White Establishment rant, does Bill O'Reilly get the Ministry of Re-Education appointment?
    acket.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Fuck Bill O'Reilly. Seriously.

Trump Winery Looking to Add Foreign Workers
    In total, Trump-owned companies have asked the department "to hire at least 263 foreign guest workers since he launched his presidential campaign,"
    Can only at this point. He's always done this. What makes people think he was honest about helping American workers?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt Gingrich on Twitter
    I goofed. Draining the swamp is in, @realDonaldTrump is going to do it, and the alligators should be worried. #DTS
    Does Newt not realize he's one of the alligators? Fucker's been in the politics in-crowd for decades.

Doesn't matter... Bow down to the Donald and you're in his circle.

Nothing matters to him besides $$$ and branding.

Well that and nuclear superiority with the Russians over the rest of the world.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Answer to Tom's...

It's not Gingrich you should be asking about, but the audiences.

And judging by the KGB psy-op that went on a couple of months ago the answer should be clear.
    acket.