Page 818 of 2481 FirstFirst ... 31871876880881681781881982082886891813181818 ... LastLast
Results 8,171 to 8,180 of 24806

Thread: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Speaking of, how many people saying "Make America Great Again" are the same ones that used to say "Love it or leave it"?
    Roofer sat right here in this group of people in 2003 that if I didn't support the Iraq war, I "must love Saddam" and "should go live in Iraq."

I countered by saying that it was a bad idea to invade Iraq that would have enormous unintended consequences, possibly destabilizing the entire region and almost certainly that chaos would create a power vacuum in which terrorists would flourish.

Again, "You love Saddam, and can just get out." No acknowledgement of any other point of view, no understanding of any nuance of the situation, and no appetite for critical thinking.

No points for guessing who he voted for in November, and we'll have to clean up their mess again this time, only this time it'll be even worse.
    Last edited by Taimar; February 12th, 2017 at 04:16 PM.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    The biggest problem I see in U.S. politics is...binary thinking. A lot of people can't seem to grasp the concept of having more than 2 possible viewpoints!

(Didn't we learn from Obi Wan Kenobi?)

Anyway, my ponderous question for today...if Twitter decided suddenly to remove Trump and POTUS for having "hate" messages, would Trump have an aneurysm?

Quote Originally Posted by Taimar View Post
    Roofer sat right here in this group of people in 2003 that if I didn't support the Iraq war, I "must love Saddam" and "should go live in Iraq."

I countered by saying that it was a bad idea to invade Iraq that would have enormous unintended consequences, possibly destabilizing the entire region and almost certainly that chaos would create a power vacuum in which terrorists would flourish.

Again, "You love Saddam, and can just get out." No acknowledgement of any other point of view, no understanding of any nuance of the situation, and no appetite for critical thinking.

No points for guessing who he voted for in November, and we'll have to clean up their mess again this time, only this time it'll be even worse.
    It would be interesting to dig that old post up. I don't recall much from it, outside of that most non-Americans came out against the actions in Iraq, including myself. There were a few Americans obviously that didn't think it was a great idea. You just can't go into a region, kill a bunch of innocent women and children, as collateral damage, walk away, and leave a power vacuum, and not expect that to come back and haunt you... and yet, the same stuff continues, but the pitch is it's the Muslim peoples faults. You should post more often, I like what you have to say, and how it's said.

Quote Originally Posted by Taimar View Post

I think considering that it was the aftermath of 9/11, and our intelligence community or admin sells us fake news about WMD, any 'patriot' would 'feel' the urge to do something. Even Hillary would see eye to eye with roofer on that issue. So if Hillary can get a pass, maybe roofer can too? (Btw, I don't think I need any passes because I was never pro iraq war.)

When people get emotional, it's understandable rational thinking becomes hindered. Somebody baited us or perhaps it was just bush's personal vendetta... One way or another, we're suckered into that useless war. Real culprit isn't roofer, since roofer had no authority to start a war, the political establishment is to blame.

Political establishment is also responsible for the rise of Donald trump. But of course we can now squarely blame roofer for putting him into the White House!

Neanderthal may also want to blame me too, but whatever. I really don't believe Hillary would be much better. Considering her record. Her political experiences really has become more of a liability than asset.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; February 12th, 2017 at 07:16 PM.

We All Live in a Yellow BRZ The359's Avatar
    So many buzzwords...
    Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    I think considering that it was the aftermath of 9/11, and our intelligence community or admin sells us fake news about WMD, any 'patriot' would 'feel' the urge to do something.
    Even I supported the Afghan war. Because Al Queda orchestrated that attack and they were essentially helping the Taliban maintain control of Afghanistan in exchange for a base of operations.

But Iraq had nothing to do with it, and there was nothing linking Iraq to Al Queda. In fact, when the U.S. became belligerent about invading Iraq, Saddam had the most notable terrorist taking shelter in his country, Abu Nidal, killed.

I think considering that it was the aftermath of 9/11, and our intelligence community or admin sells us fake news about WMD, any 'patriot' would 'feel' the urge to do something. Even Hillary would see eye to eye with roofer on that issue. So if Hillary can get a pass, maybe roofer can too? (Btw, I don't think I need any passes because I was never pro iraq war.)
    You know so little.

You know why Democrats of any kind voted for that war? Because ever since the 1970s, they'd been painted as being weak on national security. It was a popular war with considerable support. A gallup poll from March 24, 2003 reveals that 72% of the country was in favor of going to war in Iraq. Mostly because they'd been spoon fed lies about the reasoning behind it that we know were lies today. No Senator with ambitions is going to vote against something that popular, particularly if they've been called weak on defense in the past.

There's a context to everything.

When people get emotional, it's understandable rational thinking becomes hindered.
    Clearly you're very emotional.

Somebody baited us or perhaps it was just bush's personal vendetta... One way or another, we're suckered into that useless war. Real culprit isn't roofer, since roofer had no authority to start a war, the political establishment is to blame.
    No. The people to blame are Republican voters. Who put George W. Bush into office despite the choice of a FAR more qualified and prepared candidate on the other side, even if he was dull as dishwater and an obnoxious snob. They voted for George W. Bush because he "seemed like a guy you could have a beer with." Remember that?

And now they've done even worse. Despite every rational argument and the past experience of lots of people dealing with Donald Trump, now they've foisted that disaster on us just as we were cleaning up their last huge mess. How long do we have to keep cleaning up the chaos they create, most of which is based on a sort of first grader's understanding of government and a logical pretzel of half truths and intellectually bankrupt ideas?

By the time we're done dealing with Donald's mess, best case scenario, I'll be in my fifties.

I really don't believe Hillary would be much better. Considering her record. Her political experiences really has become more of a liability than asset.
    Yeah, that's because you have no idea what you're talking about. As usual.

Tell me, really, does day 22 of a Hillary Clinton administration look as dismal and disastrous as where we are now with the current "administration"? In my wildest nightmares I can't picture that.

She was my senator. I voted for her twice. I've actually met one of the people who wanted to run against her who's now a fox news host (Jeanine Pirro). She did a good job as a Senator and she'd do a good job as President.

She is not somebody I particularly like or have warm feelings about, or who I think would do all the things I want done. But you never get 100% of what you want. Ever.

Billi doesn't understand what you have said. He has an idea in his mind of what is and what isn't. It's fixed.

How the idea is formed is beyond me. Beyond most of us, quite frankly.

There, apparently, is intake of information, and a process, one I imagine resembles a trash truck accumulating trash and then spitting it out. And a monkey sitting in a chair, reading the detritus as a palm reader would read a technical manual for the propulsion system of the latest missile system. Written in Hindi.

The end result is the same male bovine fecal matter.

Not trying to troll anyone. You need to find words to explain to me how does one become either an 'ardent' pro-lifer or a pro-choicer.

If you can't, then I believe I've made my case.
    I don't know (partly because I really don't know what the point was that you are making) or care what your "case" is, and I don't need to "find" anything or "explain" anything to you for any reason.
    Last edited by Yw-slayer; February 13th, 2017 at 12:37 AM.

Wait wait wait..... Germany has a president!?