Page 821 of 2474 FirstFirst ... 32172177181181982082182282383187192113211821 ... LastLast
Results 8,201 to 8,210 of 24733

Thread: Politics

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I agree with Phil, but i see no ill words being used, so let's just leave it at that before it gets ugly.

And Servo, who is that Miller guy?
    acket.

I'm talking about people that say xyz can't get married because their religious beliefs are against it.

Prayer in school comes in different forms. If it's the teacher leading a prayer that everyone is meant to join in on, that's forcing a specific religion. If it's a moment allowed for silent reflection, thought or prayer, that's allowing all religions.

A government building displaying the text of one religion, and not of any others, is elevating that religion in comparison to the others. A simple solution would be that, rather than having a single display of a single artifact of any religion, is having a religious observance room that allows and explains articles from any religion that the citizens governed by that building choose to donate.

And yes, freedom of religion *should* be freedom FROM religion. It should not be inferred, directly or indirectly, that any one religion, or lack of religion, is better or worse than all other belief systems.

These are the kinds of compromises that need to be made, taking the most popular things, historically and percentages-wise now, and taking them off their pedestals so that they are on even footing with all others. This is seen by those on the pedestals as punishing them, removing their freedoms, when in fact it is merely giving them the same opportunity afforded to everyone else.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Keith, will you marry me?

A Honda-lover? Gross.

Hondaphobe.

Female Masturbatory Aid

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    I'm talking about people that say xyz can't get married because their religious beliefs are against it.
    There can be many different camps of homophobes..., but I do believe most religious folks just wish to honor the traditional marriage by keeping it traditional. I don't believe most Christians are intending to just ban gays from forming their own unions. But anyway, we've exhaustively discussed this, no point rehashing it again and again, but as you can clearly see, rational reasoning can win over genetic predispositions. We have recently legalized same sex marriages, right?

Prayer in school comes in different forms. If it's the teacher leading a prayer that everyone is meant to join in on, that's forcing a specific religion. If it's a moment allowed for silent reflection, thought or prayer, that's allowing all religions.
    I don't have to join in any prayer/conversation if I don't have/want to. Nobody can force me to do anything.

A government building displaying the text of one religion, and not of any others, is elevating that religion in comparison to the others. A simple solution would be that, rather than having a single display of a single artifact of any religion, is having a religious observance room that allows and explains articles from any religion that the citizens governed by that building choose to donate.
    Yes, but that's only because this nation historically started out this way. It's as if we need to ask the Greece government to either cover up all of their Greek mythological figures and not even mention them in history books... or else they'll have to create sculptures of all mythical creatures in order to be fair. Let kids learn all mythologies so that they can pick and choose which mythology they want to adopt... Com'on. Is that really necessary?

And yes, freedom of religion *should* be freedom FROM religion. It should not be inferred, directly or indirectly, that any one religion, or lack of religion, is better or worse than all other belief systems.
    By forbidding any religious symbols..., you are directly indirectly telling folks that atheism is superior.
    There's no single solution that can satisfy everybody.
    People just need to learn to chill if they end up with a situation that's not to their liking.

No matter how I dislike something, at least nobody can force me to love or give up the God or lack of God of your choice.

These are the kinds of compromises that need to be made, taking the most popular things, historically and percentages-wise now, and taking them off their pedestals so that they are on even footing with all others. This is seen by those on the pedestals as punishing them, removing their freedoms, when in fact it is merely giving them the same opportunity afforded to everyone else.
    Yes, you have to understand that is their perspective and need to tread cautiously to not offend others too much.. In CA for example, we need to incorporate LGBT history, but we need to pretend christianity had zero influences to our nation/state's history. That might sound fair to you, but not to my genes nor to my minimal critical thinking ability. Is there really a need to 'filter' history in the name of 'freedom of/from religion'? If your genes led you to believe that is reasonable and fair..., then that's that I guess. Let's just agree to disagree, but we still have to learn to get along without harboring the desire to give each other the finger or the cross with dead Jesus on it.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; February 13th, 2017 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    I don't have to join in any prayer/conversation if I don't have/want to. Nobody can force me to do anything.
    If you're a child in school, they can and do tell you what to do and say. The punishment for not doing it is up to the teacher/school. Even if there is no punishment, the other children will notice and point out when one person isn't following instructions, either to the teacher or in the social groups. You're setting up children in minority religions to be ostracized.

Let kids learn all mythologies so that they can pick and choose which mythology they want to adopt... Com'on. Is that really necessary?
    Yes, that's exactly what should or at least could happen, except there's not necessarily a need to adopt any of them. We're taught about multiple types of artistic movements and musical movements, why not be taught multiple types of religious movements? It's not about saying that any of them are right or wrong, just that they existed as part of the tapestry of human history.

By forbidding any religious symbols..., you are directly indirectly telling folks that atheism is superior.
    There's no single solution that can satisfy everybody.
    Either forbid them all or allow them all. Pretty simple IMO.

People just need to learn to chill if they end up with a situation that's not to their liking.
    This has been said by those in the ruling/majority class for likely the history of human society.

In CA for example, we need to incorporate LGBT history, but we need to pretend christianity had zero influences to our nation/state's history. That might sound fair to you
    It does not. The influences of all people from all categories should be included, positive and negative. Most likely it will not be done perfectly at first, people will overcorrect as they aim for the proper balance, but the frequency and amplitude of the sine wave will continue to shrink until we are nearly there. We shouldn't just give up trying because we aren't there yet.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    I agree with Phil, but i see no ill words being used, so let's just leave it at that before it gets ugly.

And Servo, who is that Miller guy?
    I don't agree, but will respect those wishes. I haven't seen anything here that's calling him any sort of name or inferring anything about his character, they're purely repeating what is/was publicly available (some of the older gtx sites are no longer available, I'd imagine, except maybe through the wayback machine). All of you are welcome to friend me on Facebook if you want to see any of the comment threads he's been involved in to verify. Like I said though, that'll be it. I used to feel the same way about the guy that Phil does many years ago. I wish that hadn't changed, but it is what it is.

Miller is, like Bannon, one of Trump's advisors. He apparently used to work for Jeff Sessions down in Alabama. He also was in cahoots with Richard Spencer for a while, though to his credit Spencer doesn't think he's white nationalist enough to be part of his club. He firmly believes (or claims to) that voter fraud is rampant. The more cynical among us might think that he's just trying to lay the groundwork for voter suppression farther down the line, presumably to boost Trump's chances at re-election.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; February 13th, 2017 at 01:46 PM.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity
    I can tell you that for 8 year old atheist me, it sure didn't feel like I wasn't being forced to recite "under god" in the pledge of allegiance every morning, considering I was told I'd go to detention every day until I did start saying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity
    but we need to pretend christianity had zero influences to our nation/state's history.
    Citation needed, please. I sure don't remember this. I don't remember them claiming that Junipero Serra was agnostic.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; February 13th, 2017 at 01:45 PM.