Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not plasma.

Not plasma.

In addition the health related issues plaguing my situation, my TV is in the process of dying. I'm irked because I use the damn thing so little I expected it to last forever, and moreover now that I actually "need" it (not much to do when you can't stray out of eyesight from your bed-ridden puppy), it's crapping out on me. I bought the thing in '08 - six years (almost to the day) of limited use doesn't strike me as a great lifespan. OTOH, it was soooooo cheap when I bought it, I can't be that mad at it. It's one of Samsung's slim DLPs, probably one of the last DLP TVs ever made. IIRC it's a 56", but I wouldn't swear to it. It's served me just fine, but the actual DLP chip is failing, which gives a result not unlike stuck pixels on an LCD TV. It's tolerable now, but it's clear the problem is getting worse quickly.

The DLP module is like $500, which I'm certainly not going to throw at it. The DLP chip by itself is available from questionable resellers from $50 to $200 - the price is variable based on the specific chip, and I don't know which one I have at the moment. Replacement is apparently not that big of a deal, little risk of failure. The only reason I am entertaining replacing it is because at six years old the bulb is noticeably (though only slightly) dimmer than it should be. It doesn't really affect me, but I'm not sold on the idea of spending money on a chip if the bulb is just going to fail anyway. Six years of even limited use does feel like a good run for a bulb. If the DLP module is on the $50 end, I'll try it - but if it's on the $200 end, the TV is going in the e-waste pile.

Even though buying a TV makes about zero financial sense right now, my 2014 budget is pretty much shot to hell, so maybe I don't care if it slips just a little more. Seems like the gtxf is pretty much a plasma fan club, but I figured I'd ask if anyone has any opinions on the current crop of 2k LED LCDs. Although I like the picture plasmas give, I cannot tolerate the sound they make, especially with an out-of-range signal or bright picture (like a light computer desktop). I guess most people can't hear it (or maybe just aren't bothered by it), but I've yet to encounter a plasma display that doesn't make the sound and just don't want to risk getting one that is abnormally loud (like the one that's in the office's upstairs conference room - I can hear it across the office). I'm also not a fan of their power consumption or physical characteristics - but those are by far secondary considerations. It's the sound. THE FUCKING SOUND.

The only three things I need are an HDMI port, 1080p, and at least 120Hz. I don't need any other inputs, I don't need smart features, I don't need 3D, I don't need any audio functions. I don't even care so much about picture quality - I just don't spend enough time in front of it to really care all that much I guess. I'd like backlit (vs. edge lit), but that's hardly a need. Not sure how much it's worth to me, in any case.

The Samsung one we put in our bedroom is OK, but has a Bluetooth remote control. That seems to keep running out of battery (every month or so), most likely because of the Bluetooth on the motherboard of my ASUS HTPC. STUPID DESIGN

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    The only three things I need are an HDMI port, 1080p, and at least 120Hz. I don't need any other inputs, I don't need smart features, I don't need 3D, I don't need any audio functions. I don't even care so much about picture quality - I just don't spend enough time in front of it to really care all that much I guess. I'd like backlit (vs. edge lit), but that's hardly a need. Not sure how much it's worth to me, in any case.
    Given these lean requirements, may I suggest whatever's on sale?
    Get that weak shit off my track

I'd go Sony.
    No worries about Plasmas: no one produces them anymore.

And the few plasmas that are left are getting a premium from people that WANT them.

I 2nd Keith... If you hardly every watch it and don't care that much, just get the cheapest one you can.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    If i may add, No LG or Samsung. Crap QC
    acket.

Why 120hz?
    Do you have any sources that are higher rate than 60 frames?

AFAIK, the only 60hz TVs left in the US market are smaller TVs.

Same as in Europe: 50hz TV sets are just for the smallest ones and/or the lowlest crap.
    Anything else is just 100hz at least (and already being dismissed by some), 200, 400, 600 and up.
    Yet nothing comparable to the last VT and ZT60 series by Panasonic, and even not as good as even price value bestseller ST60 series.
    That's how bad LCD LED are compared to last year (and even year before) Panasonic's Plasma sets.

There is still quite a selection of large 60Hz TVs available here. Admittedly the number is shrinking, but it's not a problem to find them. I think there is still a significant anti-120Hz contingent out there, and people are willing to sell what amounts to overpriced TVs to them. Samsung, LG, Toshiba, Vizio, and all the weirdo off brands (Seiki, Changhong, etc.) all make 50"-60" TVs at 60Hz. I do believe once you go past 60", there are no more 60Hz sets.

In any case, I don't mind the higher refresh rate for media, and prefer it for gaming. Which isn't to say refresh rate is the sole issue, it's also reaction time - but broadly speaking faster refresh rates indicate a set with a faster reaction time. Since the TV's job is skewed pretty heavily towards gaming, the faster refresh is desirable. No point in having a good GPU in the HTPC if it's going to be limited to 60fps. That was actually a component in me going with DLP originally.

After some more looking, I think the "whatever's on sale" advice is the way to go. Seems like that means LG or Sharp.