Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Not plasma.

As long as higher hz TVs can be set to leave the interpolation turned off, I'm fine. For whatever reason I don't like the way movies look when bumped up to 120 Hz.
    Get that weak shit off my track

You don't like motion interpolation because it looks unnatural.

Like the mixing of the races.

*snort*
    Whoomah!

The 240Hz displays fix the motion issue, but it doesn't bug me anyway. The bedroom TV has been 120Hz for years, I'm well used to it by now. Initially it was distracting, but that's way in the past.

I have an LG refrigerator, LG front-loader washer, LG dryer, and an LG 32" LCD in our bedroom.

All purchased around 3 years ago.

And I'll never buy LG again. They're all failing.

And my 42" LCD in the main room just failed. I'm going to replace it with a 60" Sharp Quattron.

[EDIT:] To be fair, the 32" LG isn't failing... it just sucks. Terrible on-board sound, and an 'artificial-looking' picture.
    Last edited by GB; July 6th, 2014 at 02:41 AM.

I had a really bad experience with an LG refrigerator and have never looked at another LG product since. It's highly unusual for me to totally write off a brand based on one bad experience, but I seem to have made an exception with LG. Chances are the TV is going to be a Sharp, though if something Samsung or Vizio popped up I'd probably go for it. From looking around, it seems really tough to beat Sharp in the bang for the buck category... They used to be *the* name in LCD, but I guess they ran into big financial troubles and have fallen behind the Samsung machine in a big way.

My f-i-l's older Sharp Aquos is going strong.
    Whoomah!

This is looking pretty appealing...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JP7OW76/...ter_B00CW6QESM

$1150 with Prime discount. Pixel-level dimming being the attraction. The 2013 model received a lot of good reviews, and the 2014 model is supposed to address a few of the lingering concerns. Hmmmm.

... and it looks like my TV uses one of the $200 chips. Good times.

The intertubes suggests this was a congenital problem with all late Samsung DLPs - to the point there was recall. Sadly, my TV was not included in the recall. Seems like lots of people had this problem on this TV in 2010 and 2011 when the TVs were three or four years old. The fact mine lasted about seven shows how little I've used it.

I am definitely not buying the chip. $600 buys a crappy 4k Seiki 55" TV, which I think would be a better investment than renewing the Ye Olde DLP - though maybe not by much.

But, based on the progression of the problem, I probably have another month of satisfactory use from it. Pictures with lots of black look like a starfield, but whatever. In a month the dog should be in good shape and I won't need the TV again for many months. I'll keep my eyes out, but at this exact moment in time I think I'm going to drag my feet and hope for HDMI 2.0 and yet-cheaper 4k sets. No, I don't need 4k, but it can't hurt to see how that develops.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    My f-i-l's older Sharp Aquos is going strong.
    Same. Bought my 37" in 2006 and it still looks good. Though it is a 720P. I could buy 6 of them now for the price I paid back then.

And I agree about the faster refresh rates. My brother has this big behemoth TV that has a 240hz refresh rate and I was watching a movie on it and it was just screwing with my head. When I got home I looked it up and the effect is called The Soap Opera Effect. And I was like, haHA! Totally hate it. I won't go above a 120hz and I was thinkin I might go with a 60 for my next TV.