Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Not plasma.

^ CudaMan likes this comment.

I was unpacking a 49" Vizio last night and noticed the Energy Star tag on the front. It said the average cost per year to run the Vizio was $11. Being the curious type, I asked "Based on what?" Sadly, the answer is based on $0.11kw/h and five hours per day of use. TV power consumption ratings are based on being used five hours a day. Man, that's a lot of TV.

That's about average, according to most surveys.

I wonder if that's the average a family watches total, including the kids stuff and the parents.

I never understood how a TV can cost so little per year being on that long. You'd think they would take a bit more power - ok LEDs are efficient but still.

-

I haven't had much time to watch my Vizio 55" yet, especially from good source material, but the one SkyHD broadcast looked pretty sweet to me. I'm still fiddling with settings and stuff. The motion blur/step/smoothing stuff is what I find most unusual about LCD displays. In that way, I miss my DLP.

Doesn't the 4k Vizio had their "720Hz" refresh on that? I've found the default settings to be pretty darned good - but then again I have literally never watched cable broadcast on one, so....

If you are watching cable, that typically means a 60Hz refresh, so your best picture will probably be with a 240Hz setting. On the Vizio, the "Game" mode should be a good setup for that.

Get that weak shit off my track

Anyone made the move to OLED yet?

LG are currently running a promotion in the run up to the festive season which means their current 55" model can be picked up for £2000 with a five year warranty, very tempting. Reviews from CNet, HDTV Test, AVForums were all positive. The only negative would appear to be the malfunctioning colour management system but fortunately accuracy out of the box is good. Current promotion runs out on the 17th Dec in the UK, whether the price goes back up to its original launch price of £3000/3500 remains to be seen.

Of course CES is just around the corner at the start of January but right now LG seem to be the only company really pushing OLED forward in the domestic space.

Edit: I should add I did go and look at one in person but a bright shop lit environment isn't the best place for a serious evaluation. That said I had full control over the remote and there was nothing that put me off it once I'd adjusted the picture to something more natural. Hankering after a size upgrade from my 42" Pioneer plasma which I've had for around 7 years now! The only other contender is the new Panasonic AX902 but it's serious coin (£3300).
    Last edited by stephenb; November 29th, 2014 at 09:38 AM.