Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Let's discuss... Elio.

It's a lot easier to spread out development costs over a $70,000 car than a $7,000 car. Musk has a LOT more wiggle room than Elio. It's not even remotely a fair comparison, and that right there illustrates the point. If you want to make a handful of million dollar cars to suit the ultra-rich go right ahead, but if you want to make tens of thousands of cheap cars for the average guy you're hosed. I'm sure not by intention, but by result again the rich are catered to and the poor can't get a break.

Having been in a couple VC-funded businesses, there is a lot of complexity when it comes to management salaries. The $1 CEO looks really bad to investors - like either an acknowledgement the business won't work or an indictment on his talents or a concern that he's not adequately incentivized to stick around. When seeking funding, maintaining appearances is important.

Fisker Karma would be more comparable to Tesla, right? They couldn't wiggle their way out of trouble.

I don't really know the details of what's really going on, but suffice to say Tesla overcame their problems and pretty much all other new start up auto companies couldn't. Of course Tesla isn't completely out of trouble waters yet..., but has certainly gone further than other companies.

Anyway, I really think Elio should've just start producing as early as possible... in order to produce as much as possible... can't take forever developing something.

Regarding CEO pay, yeah, unless you're a proven CEO in a proven company, $1 salary probably isn't a good idea nor does it look good to anybody.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...aq-ipo-filing/

I’m sure that the upcoming IPO gives Paul Elio and what remains of his team hope but I’ve said all along, getting to production was going to be a long shot for Elio Motors. After some boom years, the American passenger-vehicle market has slowed. Even when it was booming, the stock prices for the American automakers didn’t reflect that. Investors put their money elsewhere. Now that the overall market is shrinking, if investors are shying away from Ford, which made about $10 billion last year, I don’t see the market embracing Elio’s IPO.

Still, for a few weeks it appeared that Elio Motors was circling the drain but maybe, just maybe, this IPO will turn things around.

I think they're done for unless something really crazy happens. Although they may benefit somewhat from Polaris pushing really hard to get their 3 wheeled Slingshots classified as cars and not motorcycles by state DMVs.

Thats of course provided they EVER bring a vehicle to market. Its been nearly 10 years and many prototypes.