Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's discuss... Elio.

Depends on state law regarding helmets I would imagine.

Dunno about the Elio but the CanAm Spyder is a 2 in front 1 rear wheel design and has some serious stability control program to keep its wheels planted.

side note some states have motorcycle license restrictions that allow you to take the test on a three wheeled bike that then limit you to ONLY trikes and reverse trikes from what I understand.

The Spyder is also very short and has a mid-mounted engine. The Elio is much longer and decidedly front engine - all the mass of note should be way up front. Based on the pictures, the COG is also probably pretty low (occupants sitting on the ground), whereas the Can Am is probably pretty high (sitting on the engine). I suspect it'll be reasonably stable, though probably not terribly grippy out back. Maybe somewhat prone to [snap] oversteer, but probably not tipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    Billi, 3 wheelies are not as stable as 4.
    Interestingly they are not as stable as 2 when cornering. (But more stable when stopped)
    They do tend to roll over. Made worse the closer the centre of mass is to the single wheel. Putting a 2nd person behind nearer the rear would make it less stable and more likely to roll over.
    What tends to roll over? Honda Goldwing/H-D Ultra trikes? Or what reverse trikes are being mass-produced right now?

Something like the Campagna T-Rex is both a reversed trike and has a super-low CoG thanks to not having the rider/passenger sitting on top of the engine but in front of it. It also only has a wheelbase of 90"; if you extended the platform to, say, a Corvette C7's 106" wheelbase length, that would increase stability. It wouldn't be as stable as the C7 but simply speaking the longer the wheelbase, the greater the area under the trike and therefore an even more stable platform.

As you know better than I, it all comes down to how you engineer it.

Get that weak shit off my track

I still have high hopes for this vehicle. I think it represents a lot of different desirable attributes, from economy to accessibility. I keep thinking about putting in a reservation but I just can't see my want to need from want.

Still consider this to be as much vaporware as the Skully motorcycle helmets. They have supposedly shipped but no owner reports. Just a few reviews from vloggers.

They keep pushing back production dates for the Elio. In development since 2008 and they started taking deposiys in 2013.

It's hard to start a company. It's harder to start an auto company.

Also here in Indiana 3 wheel means motorcycle license required.

of course it's harder but they have basically spent three years pushing back production date. Who takes deposits with out a 90% solid production date?

Tesla?

Which one of their cars are you talking about?