Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Challenge: X58 (LGA 1366) uATX mobo

Fractal designs a nice case - pretty sure they are all made by Lian Li and derived from existing Lian Li designs. I think the 605 is based on the PC-C33 or 34.

I would personally not buy a fanless GPU - they are all either extremely low-end or serious compromise designs. I'd just stay away. Are you looking for something to just put pictures on the screen, or something that can do 4k, or decode bluray or play games?

Female Masturbatory Aid
    No real games, per se. Maybe the occasional old skool stuff (like Nintendo old school). Nothing I would say would surpass anything an on-board video couldn't handle.

The passive cooling thing is probably not important. Something quiet would be just as fine.

No real need for 4k. I don't have a 4k TV anyway....

and I don't currently have any BD on local HDD, they're all on the retail discs themselves. I have a dedicated BD player as well.

So, basically, streaming Netflix/Hulu, and the occasional old ass game, pre-2000.

I'd personally pick up an HD 260 - like $100. Fairly low power requirements, good for the foreseeable future, and easily capable of lightweight gaming. I've had very good luck with the recent MSI cards - Newegg has the 2gb version for $100 after rebate. They tend to be quiet with good fan tuning - big fan, low RPM, and not much movement when not stressed. My other choice would be the XFX DD version of the same chip - it has a bigger heatsink and two fans. I bought several of their 6800/6900 series DD cards and was totally satisfied with the noise level. For the extra $15, it might be worth doing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-762-_-Product
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-695-_-Product

The next step down in cards is only going to save about $40 and stick you with truly budget hardware. Stuff that tends to have tiny, cheap fans that make lots of noise. Even though a "gaming" card is overkill for what you want, you get a better noise profile with a more capable card that is always understressed instead of an outdated card that's always on full-tilt.

Oh, and FWIW I have stuck exclusively with AMD stuff for HTPC duty because - IMHO - their display tuning software is superior to Nvidia. It's just much easier to get a Red card sized & colored right than a Green card IME.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    I'm not too sure about the red/green card (thought you were talking futbol for a second)...

Thanks for the tips. I figured about $100 or so for the GFX at this point.

In the end, I'm still going to have about $250-300 in it, which, all things considered, isn't that bad (even if it's way over the top, horsepower wise).

The next variable is the cooler... I have the Noctua NH-C12P, which, according to a couple resources I found, will fit in either the Fractal or Silverstone case (GD70). The Silverstone is just a bit taller (half inch).

While I'd like to re-use it, if at all possible (it's a beast of a cooler), I'm afraid that it may be just a bit too close in either case, with very little space above it in the case.

Supposedly, you can fit a Corsair H55/H60 in either case as well. Since I put the H60 on the new box, I'm really content with it. But, that's another $50. I'd rather spend that on a big HDD, if I can re-use the Noctua.

I may just draw them both up in CAD and see if they'll actually fit.

The Silverstone has two bottom intake fans, so, in theory, if I put the cooler on the sink drawing UP and the rear fans out, it should work well, regardless if there's 10-15mm space above it, right?

Now it's fun

CPU cooling considerations has blown up more than one of my great ideas.... BAH!

Female Masturbatory Aid
    heh heh. It's like modding a car, where do you stop??

FWIW, the Noctua CPU cooler stack that I run works fine without the big fan installed on the top.

Or you could break out Ye Olde Drill and add a vent above the cooler?

edit: oh, yours doesn't have the second fan. Hmm.

editedit: I am going to guess that an HTPC box is not going to be particularly sensitive to chip cooling.
    Whoomah!

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Still researching cases now... Not sure which way I want to go.....

1st world problems...

Go big.

My first HTPC build was nice & compact and I was proud, but I kept wanted to add more stuff to make it more competent. I ended up switching cases three times until I finally ended up with the giant Lian Li I have. But everything fits and fits well, and it's not *that* much taller than my Onkyo receiver. I'd just get the largest thing that fits so you just don't have to stress about it. Cases are, in the end, one thing that can span generations. I've gotten two gut switches out of it (E8400->i5-650->Haswell(wtf, I have no idea what's in it now) over three years so I feel like the investment was worth it.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    I'm still thinking about the Corsair 540 case (on its side).

It will fit in the cabinet, doesn't look too out of place (I actually think it looks bitchin on it's side), and it gargantuan, so there there's absolutely NO considerations of space.

Reason being: I want a good/quiet cooler (I have one), in the HTPC, it won't work. So I'd have to employ something spendy like a water (H60), etc. I like the Corsair case, and it's the same cost as the Fractal, and I'd have to buy a new cooler with it, then still have to be somewhat worried about the cooling potential. It's a big HTPC case, but still.....

Tiger Direct has Corsair PSUs on sale right now too. 600W (modular) for $80. Hard to pass on that. WAY overkill, but, fuck it.
    Decisions decisions.