Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me understand, please - CPU differences in time

I'm not sure that an 820M would be much faster than a 4850. Faster, yes, but still probably unable to run "recent" (last year or so) big titles at 1920 I'd think.

Also, a 4th gen i3 should be ok: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ck,3106-6.html
    Last edited by Yw-slayer; July 5th, 2014 at 09:40 PM.

The i3 may be ok, but actually, looking at big franchising offers, the reality is such that: most i3 in cheap laptops are i3-3110M or similar (so 3rd gen, no Haswell) and often they are either paired by damn Intel HD4000 and HD4400 or some GT 710 or 720M.
    I only found one of them with a 820M (389 euro).
    Around 500-599 euro there can be had i5s (4th gen) with R5 M230 or GT 820M (Asus F550 with i5-4200U - 8GB - GT 820M 2GB is the best one at 599) or otherwise from 599-699 euro and up there are i7s (4th gen, always i7-4500U) with variable RAM (from 4 to 12) and wildly various GPUs (HD8670M 1GB, GT 740M 2GB).

What it means is: if you don't really want to play anything major (especially at 1920) you can find a laptop under 400 euro easily.
    Otherwise it's going to cost you about 200 euro more for an i5. 300-350 if you want an i7.

At that point I suppose we get close to the costs of self built cheap AMD or old i7 desktops.

I'm miffed about this. I mean...

1) do I wait like next summer to spend 1000+ euro on a gaming desktop and suffer right now making do with my 7" android tablet (I really hate the lack of a proper OS in it, lack of display, lack of proper keyboard - my old wired keyboard attached by USB OTG does not cut it) and my ancient desktop where I can't even play HD videos on Youtube, local HD videos and not even vanilla System Shock 2 runs at more that 10fps on 1920? It has been PAINFUL.

2) Or I splash some cash on a cheap 400 euro i3 laptop that at least will make my life more bearable in the time being although I won't be playing much games on it?

3) Or... I do save a bit to get a 500-600 euro i5-i7 laptop so I will have a slightly more durable laptop which will complement the future gaming desktop?

Option number 1 is getting really tiring and frustrating (and fuck using Android - or iOS too - tablets as laptop replacements, they really can't stand a chance).
    I suppose come October or around I will see what and if I can spend anything. But already waiting till then it is going to feel atrocious - it would feel worse knowing I'd have to go along like this till another summer.

Point is, I'd really like to have a laptop to use around house in the few hours I get for myself when I'm not working my ass, especially at bed in front of tv, as I have to go to bed early (I wake up every day at 4am to go to work) and it is annoying to stay up late sit in the PC room. Groan :/

Secondhand i3/i5 laptop for now which is a second-gen (Sandy Bridge) chip?

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Secondhand i3/i5 laptop for now which is a second-gen (Sandy Bridge) chip?
    That would be a good suggestion, but PC second hand sales in Italy pretty much suck... things are usually overpriced.
    Like you can find a complete (no monitor though) ancient P4 HT desktop sold at 150-180 euro. While it may very well be worth 50 euro tops.
    (I'll look into that, but unless a friend is getting rid of something, I think it will be rare to find some decent pricing).

Meanwhile, I realized one thing: desktop-wise, I still have my functional HD4850 512mb PCI-E. Food for thoughts in case I need to skim to get a minimal desktop system OR binge on a big gaming desktop but save for a month or two before buying a monster GPU for it.

Yeah, secondhand is usually overpriced, but see what you can get. or older-get clearance stuff?