Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Crypto, Blockchain, Bitcoin, ETH, etc.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar

Crypto, Blockchain, Bitcoin, ETH, etc.

Decided to spin this off from the investing thread, as there's more to Crypto than investing, in case anyone wants to add their input.

Recently there's been a lot of new things going on with the Crypto space, including unique things like NFT's which I'm still trying to wrap my head around.

I do think that overall the crypto "train" cannot be stopped and we're going to reach a more decentralized global market, however I still think there's going to be a lot of bumps in the road until then. There are a LOT of shitcoins being created and the barriers to buying and selling, or staking and farming them is very complicated in many cases.

I've done a lot of research and learning since certain coins can literally go "parabolic" and make insane amounts of gains in a short time.

Overall, my interest is piqued and even if I'm not investing in a lot of different things right now, I'm very curious about how it's all going to go in the next 5-10 years.

For the record, I'm currently investing in Bitcoin (Day-trading basically), trying to get into Shopping.io which has a VERY compelling concept where you can buy from major retailers with discounts and not even needing to be a member, and finally Bao Finance, which is much more tricky to explain, but it's in Alpha and super cheap (currently trading at .0013 cents)

Disclaimer: I know nothing useful about crypto, YMMV, I am not a financial advisor

Administrator
    I have tried repeatedly to understand this and so far have been entirely unable to figure it out. I don't know if I'm too dumb or overthinking it. It seems like just an extension of something like how Git does versioning, and then somehow gets value assigned to it even though I can't figure out how that happens. Like, I just don't get why any of it is worth much of anything.

Same with US dollars, why are they worth anything?

I like the idea of crypto currency, something decentralized and not tied to any governments, but then again that might be scary too?

Considering even Elon Musk could love it one day and then hates it the next..., that makes me want to wait and see some more before messing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I have tried repeatedly to understand this and so far have been entirely unable to figure it out. I don't know if I'm too dumb or overthinking it. It seems like just an extension of something like how Git does versioning, and then somehow gets value assigned to it even though I can't figure out how that happens. Like, I just don't get why any of it is worth much of anything.
    It's worth things based on faith....much like the U.S. dollar at this point, and Bitcoin is being accepted at more and more places also. Right now you can buy and sell Bitcoin it through Paypal, and soon you'll be able to use paypal with your Bitcoin (and a couple of others) to trade goods with it.

As far as how it works, the way I understand it is that it's basically a computer algorithm or equation that gets created and verified through a number of completely random computers on the internet and that makes it incredibly secure. To clarify, when you hear about Bitcoin being hacked etc. it's the online "wallets" that people have which are separate from this algorithm directly. Many people will save them to secure USB drives to hold their bitcoin code (just don't forget your password!)

NFT's are a whole other beast entirely and I'm still wrapping my head around those as they're just now becoming popular.

Update:

A few weeks ago I put around $1K into Shopping.io ($SPI) at just under $50 a token.

It's now hitting near $270 a token and I've made around $6K so far and it keeps mooning.

There's only 1 million overall tokens and it's still only around $270 million market cap.

The idea is that you can use your Shopping.io token to use over 100 different kinds of cryptocurrencies on Amazon, Walmart, AliExpress, etc. plus get up to 15% off orders and free shipping.

I expect this to reach $1 Billion market cap eventually, but I am just a dummy with some luck so far, so YMMV

I want to sell all the pictures of my car as NFTs.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    I want to sell all the pictures of my car as NFTs.
    NFTs used to be a thing where you couldn't get cinema tickets for free for certain popular movies if you were part of the movie loyalty club at the local cineplex.

Nowadays NFTs are a fucking stupid digital currency that is only helping to inflate the bubble.

A patron that bought a piece from me asked me to make a Bitcoin-related modification to it. He was really into Bitcoin.

Bitcoin = Mad Gainz bro