Page 85 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Looking to become a homeowner" Thread

Dunno why those are sideways. Alas, I'm sure you can see my concern.

Funky. We had ours done with a trenchless machine. Still needed access pits at each end of the run, but way less repair work afterwards.
    Whoomah!

Trenchless only works if there is a pipe there to begin with, in Nate's case they had to add a completely new pipe.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
    Now in escrow for the house we are buying in Cypress. The amount of money involved with buying here makes me pucker. >.<
    It is sorta horrifying, isn't it? Via my mortgage, I owe many times more money than I've ever had in my possession at any given point, even after I got to exercise a bunch of stock options once.

This kind of financial leveraging can be scary to us common folks, but it's one of the few ways to make easy money... with other people's money!

Chances are your home value will go up and you reap all of the profits without having to pay off the entire balance of your home right away!

Worst case scenario that there's an earthquake that destroyed everything in LA and our home values ended up at $0..., the bright side is that we haven't sank all of our money into that home yet...

Quote Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
    Now in escrow for the house we are buying in Cypress. The amount of money involved with buying here makes me pucker. >.<
    Congrats! Having a housewarming party? I'll be in the area come May.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_SS View Post
    Trenchless only works if there is a pipe there to begin with, in Nate's case they had to add a completely new pipe.
    pfft. Details.
    Whoomah!

Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid View Post
    Congrats! Having a housewarming party? I'll be in the area come May.
    Housewarming upper deckers are always a nice surprise.

Might not be ready for housewarming in May - likely going to be moving then. Have to get through today's home inspection first, though...

Signed all the paperwork today and got a key. A key. I asked, "What locks does this key unlock?" The sellers kind of shrugged and said something to the effect of, "Uhh, the front door?" Me: They added that they only ever went into the house through the garage. Yesterday, we did a walk-through of the house and there were a bunch of switches that appeared to not do anything. The sellers did not know what the extraneous switches did. There were several light fixtures that I asked, "How do I turn on these lights?" They seemed legitimately stymied. "I don't know. Never used 'em." Me: One switch had tape over it. "Why is this switched taped?" "I don't know. It was like that when we moved in." Me: They moved in seven years ago. We appear to be buying a house from idiots. Now the real work begins.