Page 111 of 141 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1403

Thread: The "Looking to become a homeowner" Thread

Looking very nice.

Welp. After a combined 58 hours of driving on the 401 and 400, using 7 vehicles, including a 26ft Hino straight truck and a 16ft GMC, we've moved from London to Huntsville.

My legs still hurt.

House is in decent shape. We were worried the crazy previous owner would leave something ridiculous for us to deal with, like a gaping hole in the kitchen floor or something. Other than having to mow 4 acres, the only other issue was cleaning--which was horrific. We thought maybe the bath fictures were beige, but turns out they just hadn't been cleaned in years. So several hours of back-breaking scrubbing with Comet and now we have bright white fixtures. Acres and acres of cobwebs.

Changed out a few light fixtures, exchanged out the gross old stove for a new ceramic-top. The mosquitos are really bad here right now and plenty are getting into the house at night, hopefully I can find all the little nooks and crannies in the windows and seal them up, it's driving me nuts.

On the plus side, going to look at my first "real" tool chest for the shop tonight.

Nine days remaining of the twenty-two required to schedule the fibre-optic installation. So I will rejoin the 21st century....
    Last edited by tigeraid; June 13th, 2018 at 11:27 AM.

Hinos are great, trust me.

Spent all weekend, Monday, and last night repairing the lathe and plaster in spots, painting, and cleaning for my refi appraisal today. No clue how it went, hoping for a good return so I can schedule to have the old garage torn down, and concrete poured for the new one.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Just switched fireplaces with something a little more modern. The city council inspector came in today and ticked it all off, so we can now use it instead of look at it/rely on the heat pump (which keeps turning off when the temp gets too low).

From this, cave-man era fireplace with 1970's tiles and 'feature wall' made out of rimu wood.
    _DSC6361 (1920x1280).jpg

To this, with a GIB board wall, more modern tiles, and the best selling fireplace in New Zealand (Masport R5000).
    _DSC6455 (1920x1280).jpg

During renos we found a secret door! It led nowhere though, so we covered it back up after pricing up a hidden switch that would open the secret door - only after realizing it would lead into the hallway. Dreams dashed.
    _DSC6374 (1920x1280).jpg

Currently deciding on wall colour, looking at a reddish colour for the room, 'apple blossom' (RGB: 169 82 73) but need to get test pots first, then i need to properly photoshop the colour onto the walls. But that's a job for the summer, when we can open the damn windows to let the paint fumes out...

And still gotta get a carpet layer in to tidy up in front of the hearth (had to extend it for the new fire, due to council/fireplace rules).
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; June 13th, 2018 at 11:52 PM.

It would've been so cool to discover a sealed secret forbidden chamber inside your house by the previous owner... then again, maybe not!

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    There's still time for that still, eventually gonna rip out more walls and replace them with newer tech ones, and replace the ceiling around the house too - there could be hidden treasures in that as we have false ceilings around the house due to the original one being so high up.

Won't post the whole thing as we complete this around the house cos you get the idea, but finally got rid of the oldest shitty aluminum window in our house today (it was older than the rest, around 1970's era?), and replaced it with a double glazed thermal break one with argon gas in between the panes.

From this (where the small window on the left was sealed shut with silicon by the previous owners, and yet still wasn't without gaps)
    _DSC6476 (1920x1280).jpg

To this new one, which has Karaka Green frames to match the rest of the house. Silver ones match nothing.
    _DSC6501 (1920x1280).jpg
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; June 16th, 2018 at 11:04 PM.

Niiiice.

Basement bedroom is finished and very yellow:

Computer room is finished and very late 90s midwestern basement rec room:

And damn do I need some new furniture.

And I’ve got tv and music now so I guess that means I officially can live there: