Page 99 of 141 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Looking to become a homeowner" Thread

House is framed, roof up with shingles, water, bathroom plumbing, most electrical routed.

But...
    Looks like they messed up and missed one of our options... the kitchen island. We noticed the water and garbage disposal power against the wall in the typical spot if you don't have an island. There are no place holder markings on the floor for the island. And there is no pendant light fixture for the island (comes with it), even though the rest of the kitchen lights are wired up, including the pendant fixture in the dining room.

And now the main contact is saying the standard place for the sink (even with the island) is back at the counter. Even though the floor plan we signed very clearly shows the sink in the island. And I'm almost 100% sure there's paperwork we signed that states we want the sink in the island. Of course, even though we've asked 2-3 times now, we still haven't received a copy of that paperwork. Not too happy.

That doesn't even talk about the Bilco door which we didn't get. We got a daylight instead. Bilco was very clear stated as the standard "with exception for daylight or walkout". The topography allows for a Bilco, why weren't we notified? Unfortunately we don't have anything in writing stating we specifically wanted Bilco. Which should have been covered, but it's still a miss by us. Fuck.

Does the contractor/builder have an office? Can you go to that office first thing in the morning and demand to see/get a copy of the paperwork?
    Get that weak shit off my track

I'll be doing that now. Gonna meet the foreman to discuss and hopefully have access to someone in the model home office. Otherwise it's a trip to the main office.

Operation Rogue Island has been resolved. Turns out the aspect of the paperwork I thought they were gonna say was too vague was enough for them to decide to cover the cost of re-routing water, drain and electric for the sink, garbage disposal, and dishwasher. Goddamn right.
    Last edited by GreatScawt; June 22nd, 2017 at 10:41 AM.

DO NOT QUESTION THE HAWTNESS OF THE SCAWTNESS.

LEST YE BE BURNED.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    HAWTNESS OF THE SCAWTNESS.

Administrator
    I can't decide if this needs to be its own thread, but we've been enjoying starting an actual garden now that we have a couple of planters. We have had little luck with flowers, but we've been having great luck with tomatoes and peppers. We've had a bunch of cherry and normal-sized tomatoes, some jalapenos, a couple of poblanos (though they were tiny), a really good serrano, and some excellent thai chilies, then we just planted yellow habanero, scorpion, and Carolina reaper plants. We're hoping we can keep them alive.

I built us a nice raised bed garden last year and then we promptly moved after one season.
    The house we bought is built into a hillside and the retaining wall in the back yard has raised beds that run the entire width of our property. Score. We got here too late to plant this year, though. Last year we did tomatoes, basil, banana peppers, bell peppers, zucchini, cucumbers, cantaloupe, mint, and some other odds and ends. We overplanted the space big time but now we have more than we know what to do with. Really looking forward to it.

Administrator
    That sounds awesome...the wife definitely would love to plant some sort of squash, but we're a bit limited on space. We tried basil but it died really quickly on us.

My mom got a single stand up garden for Christmas one year, now she has I believe four.