Page 117 of 141 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1403

Thread: The "Looking to become a homeowner" Thread

Having three large pine trees removed from our property today, because of beetle infestation.

Damn beetles! Our climate will become just a little bit warmer without those trees...

Not to mention the chainsaws burning fossil fuels!

Fucking Ringo.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Having three large pine trees removed from our property today, because of beetle infestation.
    was it this guy?

acket.

I did not investigate that closely.

So I was looking at replacing 4 of my 7 interior doors with pre-finished, pre-hung six-panels.

1. Take rough measurements to price out the doors, knowing full well I can't *really* measure properly until the old ones are out.
    2. Note that the pre-hung doors all come in 4.5" deep frames, which makes sense for interior walls framed out in 2x4s.
    3. Take a second look at my door jambs.
    4. They're all 3.5" wide.
    5. Realize all of my interior walls are framed in 2x3s. Quality!

This house is weird. Typical concrete block foundation construction and 2x8 floor joists, but then the exterior framing is basically like a pole barn. I don't think any of my interior walls are even load-bearing, lol. Not that I intend to find out...

I'm still going to do it though. For the closet door I can just shove the extra frame width into the closet and nobody will know. For the other doors I guess I'm going to have to pack out the trim with a piece of 1/2" thick flat stock and just have ΞXTRΛ░THICC(パっ翁)mouldings around those doors

Administrator
    One of these days, I will learn to at least double the contractor's timing estimate.

Our townhouse has two separate HVAC systems, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. They've both occasionally leaked water from the fan coils onto the floor, but lately the downstairs one started just pouring buckets of water any time we ran it. After numerous attempts by our usual HVAC guy to clear out the condensation line, we had another company out who pointed out that the unit itself was so corroded that the condensation was never even making it to the line. The units were 45 years old, so I guess replacement time was upon us. They said they could replace them in a day, but "let's just say two days to be safe."

Four days and $10k later, we're done. I'm hoping this helps a lot with our energy costs, these have got to be more efficient than something from '74, right? Oh, and almost done, they have to fix the wall they broke into to mess with some wiring - that'll be sorted next week.