Page 53 of 141 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Looking to become a homeowner" Thread

It definitely might. I don't know enough about construction to really understand the application of this stuff.

Someday someone is going to see what I've done here and wonder what asshat decided to pick up the tools in the first place.

I don't even know what you call these things to do research on the internet. Oops.

Either could be called L brackets or corner brace/brackets, from a coworker and quick Google.

Maybe inside corner bracket for the fancier one.
    Last edited by Kchrpm; June 8th, 2016 at 09:28 AM.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Check! Off to do some research and discover how I am misusing them.

They were just an easy choice for the prototype, but I'm starting on the final product this weekend. I want to do it right.

Personally I'd probably trust something like this the most, since it has a cross member directly along the path you're trying to reinforce

https://www.amazon.com/Faztek-Alumin...=1&*entries*=0
    Get that weak shit off my track

Ha! I just saw that - that piece looks awesome. I looked at more of Fastek's stuff while I was there. It makes me excited!

I don't think I need much strength here. I am basically using these brackets to make the framing easier. They are being completely covered with 5/16" engineered ply. Once assembled they are VERY rigid. The brackets just help ensure everything is square and I can move them around before the surface is installed.

That said, I really like the way those Fastek pieces look, and even though they are expensive I just might go with them. Did I mention that they look cool?

Just realized I need 24 corners worth of brackets. I am not made of enough money to spend $264 on hardware.

I think this is my backup:

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Hardwa...ustrial&sr=1-7

Lowes *says* they have a similar part for $2ea, but you can't order it. Home Depot has them for $5ea. Amazon at $4.50 ($9/pr)seems like the best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    The brackets just help ensure everything is square
    Second ones wont do that.

Dont save in cross-measuring.

This project is moving forward NOW. Amazon should be delivering 24 of these:

today. I will pick up a stack of 2x4s and 2x6s tonight or tomorrow and get to framing the thing.

The surface is going to be engineered siding, which should be good for resisting the environment. The edges of the siding are shiplap, which creates some complications - I have four 62" wide doors and two 56" wide doors, and the siding is 48" long. I can buy two sheets of siding for each door and have only four cuts in two different sizes but a mountain of waste and extra cost (~$150), or I can treat the install as a linear project and have six or eight completely different cuts and almost no waste. The first approach would mean I could just have Lowes/Home Depot/whatever make the cuts and be done, the latter means I have to make the cuts. I have no way to cut ply sheets. After agonizing about it for a while, I opted for the latter approach and ordered a small, fairly cheap circular saw:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Instead of spending $150 on plywood I'd mostly throw away, I'll spend $80 on a saw that I get to keep. I can live with that.

I'm not positive I can, but there's a good chance I can finish this project this weekend - Lord knows I've been staring at it long enough I should know what I'm doing by now. That leaves only a couple dump runs of mostly tree parts left for the F150, then it's gone!

Also, signing refi papers on Monday. 3%, 15 years. Payment only goes up by $150/mo, shaves nine freakin' years off the mortgage. Times like these I remember why I really don't like payment plans on anything - having the freedom to take on a bigger monthly nut for a good cause is a-ok.

Snap... just remembered that Parts Express is probably delivering my speaker switch and additional speaker wire today. I can finish my entertainment install so I have tunes while futzing with the garage doors. Yeah! Once this is all knocked out, I only have about two billion things left to do on the house!

I was in the office till about 4am this morning so I took the AM hours off for sleep. I didn't actually do that, so I went outside and worked before it got too hot (which, for me, is >95F).

Three years ago I figured out the solution to a garage that can't have a rollup door.
    Two years ago I finally found the hardware necessary to put that design together.
    Last year I forked over the nearly two grand for said hardware and installed it.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AqwvoBt9ZBp2nA9z_ctaBp1sXDW7

It took a whole year for me to figure out exactly how to make the doors and then execute, but at long last it's done.

Closed: https://1drv.ms/i/s!AqwvoBt9ZBp2gZ8_nA4bEkHBiJ9GUA

Car side open: https://1drv.ms/i/s!AqwvoBt9ZBp2gZ8-z5aZYlwI4pINAA

There is some overhang into the Falcon's side when open that could not be avoided - https://1drv.ms/i/s!AqwvoBt9ZBp2gZ89LhhwDkEZpJpISA

The garage is plenty wide so it won't be an issue. And if by some chance I really needed that extra 14", the doors obviously slide the other way as well.

There is still some work to be done - the brackets need adjustment to make the doors hang perfectly vertically... it's just a pair of 7/8" nuts per door, not a big deal. I need to figure out some sort of handle, some sort of latching system, and if I can get my brain to fire on all thrusters some sort of locking system. But the big effort is done, and it works really well. The round channel and Delrin & ball bearing rollers make moving the doors easy. It's two finger light.

I am really stoked to finally have a way to keep the outside outside. Unfortunately, after I do a thorough cleaning of the garage this weekend I am then left in the unfortunate situation of having zero excuses for not replacing the gutters and painting the whole structure. I'd really rather not, but I know I'll be happy when it's truly done.

Also this weekend is a mountain of tree-trimming so I can use the F150 one last time. I'm nearly two months behind, but hopefully next week it can go up for sale. At least I can use whatever I get for it to help fund the gutters.

Neat!

I like the look of Barn doors when I see them in website photos. But, when I think of them, it seems like a waste of wall space when open. I'd much rather prefer pocket doors. Your installation looks nice and functional. Do they all slide to one side?