Page 101 of 141 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1403

Thread: The "Looking to become a homeowner" Thread

You could do that online...

Let me know if you have any questions. Either here or in PM.

Doing it old-school!

Probably using paper too.

And driving there in a $700 car.

That is how you buy a house.

I am officially pre-approved, pending some documentation that I have to submit. Yey!

W00t!!!

Don't forget that they pre-approve you for the maximum you can afford to. Stay within your own comfort zone. They earn more commission the higher the price. Goes for mortgages and realtors. They'll both try and upsell you.

I have no idea what the maximum they would've approved me for is, tbh.

I gave them the maximum number *I* was comfortable with and told them I would not be buying a house over that under any circumstance. On a 15 year note, I'm looking at a worst-case mortgage/tax/insurance monthly at very close to 25% of current net pay.

I'm being a bit conservative about all of this, but eh.
    Last edited by Yeti; October 3rd, 2017 at 10:50 AM.

Went looking at houses today.

House 1 was what I expected. Rough around the edges and dated interior, but great foundation and good shape overall. Probably needs a roof since I found some minor water damage in one place. Giant but shabby 4-car garage. Recent HVAC work too. Probably 10k+ overpriced, considering the neighborhood and condition. I may go back to this one.

House 2 was just down the street from house 1. Overall in good shape, unbelieveably straight foundation walls for an 1800s brick basement, but reeked of an extremely hasty and cheap remodel to sell. Also didn't have a shower, just a tub. Odd when the sellers have owned the house for 20+ years and it wasn't a rental. Also had a boiler for heat which I'm trying to avoid.

House 3 would've been my favorite, great 1950s interior but neutral enough to leave as is, good location, and a decent lot. But, it also had smoker damage inside and when I got into the basement I found one new block foundation wall, two old brick foundation walls that looked okay but not great, and one that is seriously ready to come down. Shame. The owners have an estimate to get that fixed, but unless they're going to do all 3 I'm not going to look at this one any further. Also, it needs a new garage.

House 4 was the best of the bunch. Small, remodeled 1950s slab ranch on a good sized corner lot. Garage is kind of crap but serviceable for now. I'd need a snowblower though because damn is there a lot of sidewalk to deal with. Great neighborhood too. Since it's a slab house, there's a cramped combination mechanical/laundry room with a downflow furnace, something I've never been a huge fan of, but the house is so small there's hardly any plumbing or return duct anyway. I'd have to wire a 230 circuit and borrow a torch and vacuum pump to add central AC though. I'm keeping this one in mind.

All of them were clad in vinyl or aluminum and 2-4 all had newer roofs. All had newer furnaces except 2 (90s Peerless cast-iron boiler) and 1 and 3 had older R22 AC systems.

The hunt continues!
    Last edited by Yeti; October 7th, 2017 at 02:26 PM.

I stopped reading at 4 car garage .... but I see there were words that happened after that

House Hunters Racine.
    We looked at close to 20 houses probably. You'll know when you find it.