Page 107 of 141 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1403

Thread: The "Looking to become a homeowner" Thread

A fire drill?

Fire departments do use houses to be torn down as practice burns sometimes. However given that my neighbors house is quite literally less than 10 feet away it would be unlikely in this case.

I honestly think that for what I really want in a house I can afford the build. Its getting the old place emptied and torn down that's really the issue. Its a grand idea as most of my sisters tend to be but the financial backing is somewhat unavailable.

Administrator
    Not so much about buying a home, just wanted to moan about buying three major appliances in the past month and having two of them show up DOA. The hell is up with quality control these days?

Heater in the house went out today.

If this was 2 weeks later in the year I'd be golden.
    Instead, I'm left with buying a new furnace, coil, and AC unit...

Fml

Ouch.

Ours was installed in 1991. Financial timebomb, that.

Administrator
    Heh, our HVAC is from 1974. One of the two units has a slow leak, but everyone we talk to says "You can't find ones built like these anymore, keep them running as long as you can."

With that said, I bet the efficiency of your units is way down by now...

Administrator
    Most likely. And they're loud as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Ouch.

Ours was installed in 1991. Financial timebomb, that.
    Same here, and ours is so large I think the house was probably built around it. No idea how they'd ever get the old one out of the basement and a new one down there, unless they come in pieces and are assembled on site. An interesting phenomenon: we bought this house in 2005 and for the first few years, I could easily find the 20" x 20" x 2" filters it requires at Home Depot, Lowe's, and Ace Hardware. In the last few years, I haven't been able to find them at those stores, nor Wal-Mart or Sears or K-mart or grocery stores (who knew grocery stores sell HVAC filters?) or anywhere else I looked. I even tried an old hardware store that has been there for decades. Nope.

I finally had to order a case of filters from Amazon. I'm getting the message that nobody is stocking filters for a 27-year-old furnace because the demand for them has fallen off. That can't be a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo
    The hell is up with quality control these days?
    That would be a great title to a thread I've thought of starting many times after being disappointed in the quality of so many common items these days. I guess it's because they don't want to sell you one or two of Item A in your lifetime. They want us all to have to buy Item A every few months.

And then there are the cost-saving measures that manufacturers take that are just infuriating. Case in point: a few years ago, my wife replaced some original plastic light switch covers and outlet covers with some cool metal art-deco ones. The have little steps around the edges so they end up farther away from the wall (but only by maybe 1/16" or a few millimetres) than the builder-grade plastic ones. Ours look something like this.

Recently we painted our laundry room and added more of those same switch plates in there. Amazingly, and I am grateful for this in today's retail situation, our local home improvement store still carries the same switch plates that she bought a few years ago.

But, the screws that came in the blister-packs with the new switch and outlet covers were too short!

Some manufacturer must have changed the screw spec to save $0.0000001 per unit, and we get to go back to the store to purchase longer screws separately.

Screw you, Mr. Switch Plate Tycoon.

I get home tonight, flick the furnace on to use the fan and heat from outside to warm the house up before the freeze.

As the unit goes to fire the ignitor and go through it's checklist, I smack the gas control valve a few times somewhat hard.

Boom, pilot lights, burner ignites, and I have heat.

Going to replace everything in June and just be done with it all.