Page 109 of 141 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1403

Thread: The "Looking to become a homeowner" Thread

I'm having oak flooring installed in a few of my rooms and also having some windows replaced. I've been holding off on moving in until the flooring is done which means I've been going insane waiting to move in. I CLOSED LAST NOVEMBER FFS. Flooring goes in next Monday and Tuesday at least. Once the flooring goes in it'll be a quick job to nail in some new baseboards and quarter round in those rooms, throw in a new vanity in the bathroom, and hang some window treatments.

In the meantime I've painted all of the carpeted rooms of the house and installed new baseboards and window casings: Menards' finest. Master bedroom. The purchase of my van was totally justified in the process, btw.

I also changed my kitchen from the fetching shade of mint green it was to a basic brown and beige. I'm having new solid-surface countertops put in after I move. Maybe get some appliances that aren't blizzard white too. Z-brick will stay because disco fever. Behind that gross blind is a garden window I'm having replaced with a crank-out casement.

Nice transformation with the kitchen there!

Green must've been in fashion back then... our house from the 50s had a similar lite green tile bathroom. We reglazed the counter and shower stall white so it looks better now..., but I don't think our transformation was nearly as impressive as what you've done with you kitchen.

Anyway, hope you're able to move in soon!

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Getting quotes for double glazing at our place. Just the two less sunny sides of the house at first. Hopefully less than 5k, but we'll see.

And bought a new fireplace the other day to replace the 80 million year old one we currently have. In which you can see the flames inside it from various spots other than the glass front. :/ Compliance is gonna be a PITA though, they need exact house measurements etc.

Call me crazy but I liked the mint green.

No, I believe I registered under that name first. Sorry.

Spent my spring break vacation working on the laundry room. You have to realize this is the original back porch that was closed in probably 20+ years ago. It was 80s-tastic paneling installed over the original plank siding. I gutted it before we moved in because it had a large closet and washer hookups and the dryer hookups were through the original exterior door in the pantry. I rectified that before moving in but that was just running a dryer vent and 220 outlet (why they didn't do this originally?? Who wants their washer/dryer in 2 separate rooms) but the room had exposed siding and was driving the wife nuts since it is the main entry way with all the parking being out back. Anyways I put insulation in the exterior wall (again why not originally? The exterior wall was just felt sheathing, vinyl siding and paneling wtf) Made the light a 3 way switch that works from the switch inside the first door and not just the second door and put up beadboard and all new trim. Still need to paint the trim and put a shelf in over top.

Also been doing a tons of yard work, same week off took 4 loads of limbs and brush to the dump plus one we left on the curb for the city.
    Last edited by Mirage; May 1st, 2018 at 09:33 AM.

We weren't looking, but Ash is going to buy her brother's interest in their childhood home from her Mom's estate. It's a nice piece of property next to a sprawling wooded county park. Not precisely sure what we're going to do with it; not interested in renting it out anytime soon.

It's about an hour away from where we live, and in the same town as our families. Might make for a nice little outpost for when we don't want to crash at someone's house and we don't feel like driving home after a long day of hanging out.

Getting some lipstick put on this pig. The flooring guy is going to finish up the kitchen and bathroom today and will be back in a couple of weeks for the basement bedroom due to a product backorder.

That window is going to be replaced in a few weeks with a triple-pane and will be in the same oak color and pattern as the floor. It'll also be trimmed out to match.

It's a shame my ebay oak switch and outlet plates aren't quite a match but eh, that's what I get for buying them off the internet instead of at a store.

I spent all weekend working on the house. I'll post up some new things here on a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post

Getting some lipstick put on this pig. The flooring guy is going to finish up the kitchen and bathroom today and will be back in a couple of weeks for the basement bedroom due to a product backorder.

That window is going to be replaced in a few weeks with a triple-pane and will be in the same oak color and pattern as the floor. It'll also be trimmed out to match.
    It's a shame my ebay oak switch and outlet plates aren't quite a match but eh, that's what I get for buying them off the internet instead of at a store.
    You an oak man Jimmie? oak's nice...

Looking good, always feel nice to start getting stuff accomplished, i'm a long ways away from even thinking about windows, not looking forward to doing 23 of them. Since I never posted my floors after getting them refinished, original 1930 narrow oak strips, how people could ever cover this up with carpet I will never know.