Page 11 of 141 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Looking to become a homeowner" Thread

Refrigerators with in-the-door water and ice dispensers have the potential to leak anywhere from the unit itself to wherever the water source is. The same is true of ice-makers inside the freezer. Dispensers also reduce available cooling/freezing space inside, and they will shoot ice over the side of your glass onto the floor more often than not. And you pay more for this feature!

I suggest the plainest of the plain-jane 'fridges you can find, and some ice cube trays for inside the freezer. Check out used appliance stores and find a good old Made In America refrigerator like whatever Sears used to sell back when Sears could be trusted. Kenmore, I think. Get the good stuff like that for your house before you get married and your wife starts buying stuff based on color and gimmicks.

Our experience with Chinese appliances has been terrible. They simply do not last.

From the CL ad posted above: "The only issue it has is the ice maker arm valve is broken off. Ice maker works perfectly, just have to empty some ice if it gets full."

So you go away for the weekend and come home to the freezer door open and melting ice all over the kitchen floor. Nice. And they think they'll get $450 for it?
    Last edited by George; November 3rd, 2014 at 09:44 AM.

I've bought most of my appliances new from us-appliance.com - they ship, are cheap, and carry everything.

Be careful to stay off of George's lawn.

That would be a good idea.

Spoiler:

Nice car.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    I was planning on a scratch and dent place.
    We bought our previous fridge and our current washer/dryer from Sears' scratch-and-dent outlet--worked out nicely.
    Whoomah!

Yeah, in my former life rehabbing homes, I bought a lot of scratch & dent appliances. It is definitely the way to go if you aren't time crunched and aren't planning on appearing in better homes and gardens.
    Often, you can pick them up super cheap with dents on a side that won't be visible in your installation for hundreds off.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Tyler: Post up some pics, y0!
    *ahem*

*looks at watch*

*taps toes*

Whoomah!

Sorry. Ill see what I can do on Friday. Might as well plan on that being zI have the day off

Whoomah!