Page 114 of 141 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1403

Thread: The "Looking to become a homeowner" Thread

Let's not forget the extra fun part of having to undo the skirting without tearing it and then crawling underneath. I've crawled underneath a few times and it isn't any fun at all.

I'm fortunate that my brother already owns all of the Plex tools you need to rework the plumbing in our bathroom remodel.

I'm fortunate to know a great handyman who can do awesome jobs for reasonable prices.

He's also very willing to show me a thing or two on the job... so I'm becoming more and more dangerous...

For those of you who don't know, I'm in the process of building a garage.

24x24x13 with a 4x12 pitch roof. Overall height should be just a touch over 17 feet.

So in the process of waiting for the required tree work to be completed for the grounds to be cleared, I have been reading a carpentry text book. This is what the local Carpenter Union used for training new Carpenters. I borrowed the book from a friend who is one of the lead instructors. Anyways, I've been reading about concrete laying, form work, among everything else prior to doing the build. This design will be entirely my own, from stud location, to windows, electrical lay, garage door, to the foundation. Of course a new garage wouldn't be without a lift either .

A buddy of mine drew up this 3D model of my yard, and the proposed garage plat. I'm currently reading up on wall forming before I draw up what the framing will look like to be submitted for a building permit.

I'm stoked and terrified at the same time.

IMG_20180804_172553712.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SportWagon View Post
    The fact that garbage, versus recyclables, is only collected every second week extended the entire process.
    How much waste you are producing?

We can't fill our bin(120l Sulo) that is emptied every eight weeks.
    (bio waste, few litres, mostly coffee, goes elsewhere)

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    I'm stoked and terrified at the same time.

IMG_20180804_172553712.jpg
    That’s one awesome feeling. I hope I can experience designing and building my future house someday...

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Not quite the same, but i've built a rough version of what my dream house would look like if i won Lotto (only if i won over $20-25 million).

In Minecraft... (these pictures are old, as have since added vegetation etc in)
    Car parking at the front, with a security gate getting into my garage area

My garage for trucks (Macks mainly, possibly a Ford Louisville cabover and couple of Kenworths) and/or trailers. Should fit six without trailers on. Or four if its the storage area for my car transporter trailer

Looking from the primary use (daily drivers) garage to the house and double storied main garage. Which has only one way to get in (for security reasons).

Top view, garage could end up being bigger than the house. Ideally the driveway would a be a little longer to the house, and i'd had a confidence course/ninja warrior type course in the front of the yard. This is my 'real things' map, so those two houses in the background are ones i used to live in (still works in progress).

And inside view of the double storied garage, with car elevator and steps to the top floor.

It might just seem like a random house made in a video game, but i've had this shape and design in my head for a good decade or more and it's almost certainly what i'd do if i had a significant Lotto win. Told myself i'd only do this if i won over $25 mil though, as there would be a few million dollar cars to purchase too...

But Minecraft is actually a bloody good tool for building houses in, as you can walk through them and get a feel for things. You usually only have to compromise a little, making hallways etc an extra block wider usually to make it more like real life. I did try use a proper program to design houses (like SketchUp) but the learning curve was too long for my liking, so resorted to Minecraft instead.
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; August 5th, 2018 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    This design will be entirely my own, from stud location, to windows, electrical lay, garage door, to the foundation
    1. Your house looks like a truck.
    2. Strategic placement of Rick and Morty?

We didn't get into specifics on the house so much as we did the deck, yard, driveway, and the house overall dimensions.

https://goo.gl/images/wRS3Y7

That's what the front of the house looks from several years before I bought it. Not a truck.

Looking good T. Excited to see pictures as it progresses.