Page 115 of 141 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1403

Thread: The "Looking to become a homeowner" Thread

Oh yeah, per Rick and Morty, I actually don't watch the show. I had a buddy try to convince me to watch it, and we watched the first 6 or so episodes while we CAD the plat.

I won't likely continue past that episode

It's a good show, but if you're not in after 6 episodes then you're not going to get into it. Anyway:
    What's with the sink in the corner between two windows? Does it even work (plumbing is coming from ... ?)

So like, I'm in process of building a garage.

In process meaning I'm trying to organize the concrete, electrical, tree work, etc.

I just found out the size of my current defunct garage requires me to have a permit to demo the nearly collapsing POS. Ugh.

My concrete contractor also informed me he wouldn't start without engineered drawings and a permit. Which I'm not upset about.

I will also need an electrical permit.

Seriously. Wtf.

Is the existing structure that bad? Can't be fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    Seriously. Wtf.
    Since you're already there consider having a permit for multipurpose building.

Here only car is allowed to store into the garage.

The garage is only going to be used for cars and lawn equipment, so it isn't really that needed. I'm not putting water back to it, and I'm not going to bother making it inhabitable

Just signed the contract to have a roof tear-off and re-sheet, upgraded venting, new soffits and fascia, and upsized gutters and downspouts done.

The entire back side of my roof and fascia has major ice and moisture damage to the shingles and sheeting that I traced back to a variety of causes.

1. The previous owners never cleaning their gutters.
    2. The gutters being clogged year-round due to debris from a mulberry tree that I've since cut down.
    3. Improper pitch on the gutters.
    4. Too long of a gutter run with only one downspout (code violation)
    5. Inadequate roof venting (two vents at the peak, 2 undersized gable vents, unvented soffits)

The roof (along with the CO death furnace/water heater venting) was the main reason I got the house cheaper than asking despite home sales around here being brisk so I went in knowing this had to be sorted out.

Got estimates from a few companies, and an excellent local one that's done work for a lot of people I know and comes recommended by the building inspector who lives around the corner from my parents ended up getting it.

Sucks to spend the money. Great that I don't have to lift a finger for this project though!

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    How much is that all gonna cost? Over here i think you're looking between $20k and $40k. We're planning to replace our roof and spouting at some stage, too scared to get quotes though.

lol $20k would do this work on my house 4 times over. It's a small single-story house with a simple gable roof.

Yeah, that's... Jesus. Of the three houses I've owned I think the most expensive roofing job might be $8000. Though I'd rather just do it myself anyway.