Page 116 of 141 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1403

Thread: The "Looking to become a homeowner" Thread

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Hmmm. Might hire an American company to re-roof our place then, including flights, accommodation etc it'll probably still be cheaper.

$20,000NZD = $13,149.96USD

$40,000NZD = $26,299.92USD

Roofer just might enjoy a vacation in NZ!

Foxconn started putting up walls for their new manufacturing facility about 15-20 minutes from my house this week.

Fingers crossed that my property values go up, I guess. Maybe I'll be able to sell the place to a Foxconn employee in 12 years when the house is paid off.

Foxconn can move in and out on a whim..., it's all profit driven...

If your home price goes up significantly because of it, cash in and move far away. No need to wait til it's paid off...

You don't want to be stuck in a depressed neighborhood when it decides to leave.

They typically stay at least 10 years, so by year 8 you can cash in if they've driven property values up (or you can just work for them if your current commute isn't great)

Hard water and/or softened hard water had made our toilet handle difficult to move.

I had this old spray can of Bardahl motorcycle chain lube. It seemed to do the trick nicely. Much less odour and more effective lubrication than WD-40.
    Spoiler:

How did I end up with a can of Bardahl motorcycle chain lube when I've never owned a motorcycle? Well. actually it must have at some point replaced a can of a similar produce by Lubriplate. That I got in the middle 1970's just before I left for university. I attended some self-styled free bicycle maintenance clinic and the guy running it recommended Lubriplate over WD-40 for bicycle chains, and had some probably for sale which I probably bought. Unless he really was giving it away for publicity. I can't recall.

I don't know if I used the Lubriplate up, or lost it somewhere and just sought to replace it. I don't think I've used the Bardahl a lot on bicycle chains. I tend to do final lubrication of bicycle chains with drip type products by Tri-Flow or Finish Line. I really can't recall whether I used the Lubriplate a lot on bicycle chains during the late 70's and early 80's, or not.

But the product seems suitable to me for the toilet tank handle. Funniest thing is I'm not sure where I got it from,. Did I really go to a motorcycle supply shop? I can't find it now at either Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire. (I want to get a can in hand to give away if the story of how I fixed the handle gets out to someone who might try to bum the can I have on the theory that I can just got buy a replacement; oh well, in fact, we had a big fight with the most likely such candidates years ago, and it's really not likely to happen). I suppose it's possible some bicycle store stocked the Bardahl?
    Last edited by SportWagon; October 22nd, 2018 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Funnies => Funniest

I generally use three types of sprays.
    Gun oil, chain oil and chain grease.

Gun oil goes to locks and cold places, chain stuff for others, depending their access.

Dry stuff is finally a mess and quite sticky.
    (observed since matrix printer carriage axle era)

Wd-40 is not the proper use of the product. It is designed to displace water, not lubricate.

There are many other options out there which work better than WD.

WD-40 gets panned a lot. Your hint, corroborated by Wikipedia, that "WD" stands for "Water Displacement" is perhaps the best argument against using it as a lubricant. Experience would tell people that WD-40 leaves things generally dry and somewhat vulnerable to a re-occurrence of corrosion, having only minimal, if any lubricating features. And while it functions somewhat as a cleaner, something in it seems to attract more dirt.
    Last edited by SportWagon; October 22nd, 2018 at 09:38 AM.

Administrator
    Michele signed on to be VP of the HOA a couple of years ago. Our neighbor was the President. Nice enough guy, but pretty busy, so Michele basically handled most of the communication with other residents and deferred to him for major financial decisions. Over the past couple of years, they became pretty friendly -- bitching about some of the residents mostly.

Then he died the other morning. Somewhat of a surprise to his family, bigger surprise to us. We didn't know he'd been in remission from Leukemia for nearly a decade, but it had come back with a vengeance. It wasn't the Leukemia that killed him but the aggressive chemo, which was started only a couple of weeks back.

So, along with grieving, now Michele is the acting president of the HOA, right as the building next door is being torn down to make a new condo complex, and they think there may be damage to a retaining wall between our properties.

This wasn't quite what we signed up for when we bought...
    Last edited by Tom Servo; October 23rd, 2018 at 07:23 AM.